Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1st January 2014-06z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

I hear the gfs is having a serious referb in April, mabe it will gain some more respect in here if they trim the output range to 180+ max

I'm sure Nick will say something when he's available, but I'm sure the answer will be yes, especially if it went as far out as the GFS, wisely the programmers restricted it to 240hrs and that’s still stretching it IMO.

• Like 2

Posted

I think we should have full runs of each of the the perturbations come out at a 10 minute delay in real time so that we could "amplify" the effect of how the forum mood changes as each perturbation run comes and goes. You could have mini ensembles for each pert (dig into the nitty gritty of the pressure and "energy" equation iterations performed by each) at 5 minute intervals following each pert run. These could be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Looking at the "phasing" of Pressure, temp, GPE and KE of each individual iteration of each individual equation per pert would be a veritable feast of model watching at its finest.

And the spaghetti plots would be super awesome!

Happy hunting guys and gals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Good morning everybody GFS 00z trickling out as I write (about 126h).

As a continuation from my post last night discussing how the GFS appeared to be slowly moving in the right direction I can say that "trend" is continuing this morning with slightly lower pressure to the South, slightly stronger ridge with the pattern a trifle further West. These are quite small changes run to run but if I compare this mornings 00z to yesterdays you can see how they add up so let's hope its a trend that continues across the output.

Todays GFS 00z 132h/yesterdays 00z same time.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

Yes incremental improvement. Not there yet but a small step in the right direction. Crucial time in between 120 and 136 and the ridge building north. The stronger the better but we still don't have the energy underneath in to the continent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

MetO not so good with the ridge being shunted East.

Posted Image

But GEM turns out chilly and very blocked though it is a slow burner and snow chances would be pretty slim. Still it's about establishing a block at this stage and the details will sort themselves out.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A great deal more blocking in GFS ensembles out to day 10 through various evolutions so we may have to be patient but cold may well be on the way for the second half of Jan if not a little sooner.

Final chart from me this morning.

We have gone all winter thus far without a sign of HLB so I had to laugh at this chart. The Synoptic is amazing.

Posted Image

Graphs for SE

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=287&y=122&run=0&runpara=0&type=0&ext=1

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=287&y=122&run=0&runpara=0&type=3&ext=1

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Still looking for pressure to drop in Europe, which to my untrained eye remains the problem.

Posted Image

Where would we go from here?

Posted

That's a very good chart. The jet stream has to make inroads in to the continent and every sign of it happening there. Pressure and heights are decreasing in that chart so an undercut is probable there. But it is cuckoo land range.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted

Chionomaniac said to keep an eye on the ensembles... The 0z GFS ensembles show a cooling trend...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

Many runs after the 15th below -5...

As for the ECM, I'm just pleased to see Scandanavia with a cold plunge in the semi reliable...

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.gif

Details for the location of the high pressures will be sorted out later... At this stage, a cooling (and drier) trend is probably the best to expect... Don't expect snowmaggedon yet!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

The way the ECM has been behaving, I accept Posted Image

But seriously, we have to temper our expectations. Really frustrates me when the GFS is routinely panned.

As ever, its over to the morning runs now. More fun & games.

If you had seen the amount of times GFS runs have progged a return to our default zonal in low res, even in some of our splendid winters.

It does it this morning once more.Changes are afoot and it will be great to watch them unravel.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014010500/ECM0-168.GIF?05-12

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2014010500/UW144-7.GIF?05-06 most welcome

Some of us have posted charts from archives to show just how sudden the change from raging zonality can occur.

• Like 4

Posted

Posted Image

ECM at 144. I challenge anyone to rule out the Atlantic LP being 400 miles west with a little more of the core jet stream to our south. We are really close.

Loads of possibility there. Plenty of time for it to change in our favour.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Something is certainly going to change..... But the ECM and GFS still have energy going NE and not SE. Hopefully this will start to change on later output.

I am still a little sceptical because the PV seems completely anchored to the south of Greenland which is not a good place for getting cold in the UK. Heights may develop to our East, but we may be too far West to see any benefit - a large high to the east and a trough to our West and us in no man's land could be a possible outcome?

• Like 5

Posted

Something is certainly going to change..... But the ECM and GFS still have energy going NE and not SE. Hopefully this will start to change on later output.I am still a little sceptical because the PV seems completely anchored to the south of Greenland which is not a good place for getting cold in the UK. Heights may develop to our East, but we may be too far West to see any benefit - a large high to the east and a trough to our West and us in no man's land could be a possible outcome?

No mans land can actually be an exiting place to be in situations like that if you like your snow....isn't this the exact situation refereed to  in the N-W winter forecasts?

Posted

Not much to add this morning as the operational’s ECM, GFS and UKMO pretty much support the post I made last night, Atlantic slowly putting the brakes on, MLB for a while followed by a possible return of the Atlantic, although to be fair only the GFS goes that far out so confidence must remain low on that for the time being, my confidence for sustainable HLB that would really get the forum buzzing is also low, some hints of it in the ECM run and a little in the GFS but I have little faith in it amounting too much. Even if we don’t see the return of the Atlantic, MLB seems more likely to me, frankly any drying up of the pattern would suit me.

• Like 6

Posted

Hi Nick, do you think we would see awful flip flopping in later timeframes as per gfs if the ecm ran 4 times per day?

Yes especially if it was extended to the same length as the GFS, it does depend though to a degree on whether the ECM would have the same drop off in terms of resolution in the latter stages.

I don't understand why NOAA just don't bring the GFS into T240hrs and keep the resolution the same without the drop off, personally I think its  a bit to do with the American designers psyche, its the only global model which takes its operational out that far, I think you know what I mean!

They've had years of having to use more of the ECM in their outlooks but the penny still hasn't dropped!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hmm only seen the mean charts from the ECM ens, but there must be some interesting runs in there.

Posted Image

You can see the 850s drop out to the east as that cold pool over western Russia tries to head westwards with even the UK cooling off.

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

morning  all i think i found our winter!!  it start  Jan 21 !!  i know it wont happen and if the express see it  its will be the next  ice age!!!  till then its looks like rain till then stay dry if you can

post-4629-0-19628700-1388911315_thumb.pn

post-4629-0-89067800-1388911348_thumb.pn

Edited by tinybill
  • Like 2

Posted

Hmm only seen the mean charts from the ECM ens, but there must be some interesting runs in there.

Posted Image

You can see the 850s drop out to the east as that cold pool over western Russia tries to head westwards with even the UK cooling off.

Posted Image

Thats a huge improvement on yesterday, I think this is all down to the mid Atlantic jet and how much dig south we see, if we get enough we'll see a shortwave head through the UK allowing the ridge back over the top.

• Like 4

Posted

Not much to add this morning as the operational’s ECM, GFS and UKMO pretty much support the post I made last night, Atlantic slowly putting the brakes on, MLB for a while followed by a possible return of the Atlantic, although to be fair only the GFS goes that far out so confidence must remain low on that for the time being, my confidence for sustainable HLB that would really get the forum buzzing is also low, some hints of it in the ECM run and a little in the GFS but I have little faith in it amounting too much. Even if we don’t see the return of the Atlantic, MLB seems more likely to me, frankly any drying up of the pattern would suit me.

Very much agree WE, clearly changes in the overall hemispheric pattern are afoot and no doubt much of Europe will eventually turn colder...but to be fair it could hardly turn any milder! Exactly how the wider changes will impact our small island as we move into the 2nd half of Jan remains to be seen, but simple assuming it will become cold seems a tad premature at this stage imo, with a range of other potential options still on the table. However in the shorter term the only real trend that matters as far as I'm concerned is the drying trend. If I wanted to live by the coast I'd move 20 miles N to the coast, I don't particularly like it moving here with me...Posted Image

Edited by shedhead
  • Like 3

Posted

Posted Image

Even at 240 the ECM ensemble mean is very promising. I suspect far more colder ens runs in there than previously. Much more than the 12z.

• Like 2

I think it is fair to say any potential change in regime is likely to be a very slow burner(if we get a meaningful change at all that is).

I mentioned the other day the cold is coming for central and Eastern Europe and the ECM 0z bears that out perfectly as the Arctic air sweeps south and east.

In summery,im not convinced of a meaningful change anytime soon...