Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

7th July 2004

Paul

Posted

That sheet lightning activity that I reported in the early hours of this morning lasted right through the night.

There are still many altocumulus castellanus clouds floating around now, and more of them are forming all the time.

There was some light rain this morning, though I am not sure where it came from.

Altocumulus or a small CB.

Edit: Since this is a reports only section, I have started a different thread to discuss todays activity in.

Here is the link.

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/forum/viewtop...opic.php?t=7911

Posted

had a few flashes of lightning and a few rumbles of thunder in the early hours, it petered out fairly quick though. First lightning here for a long time though.

Posted

Had 45 minutes of thunder and lightning overnight at about 3:30am. The thunder was very loud!

Posted

Had a couple rumbals of thunder at around 4pm nothing much though, did not see any lightning, not that I had much chance to look as I was in work :roll: :( :-x

Posted

The light looks as if it's nearly 10pm here and had a flash of lightning and thunder about 5 mins ago :(8)

Paul Sherman

Posted

Seriously kicking off here now! Debris everywhere from tree's and some quite large branches as well with winds gusting around 30mph.

Thunder and lightning just a few minutes ago, accompanied by torrential rain which has lasted some 20 minutes or so. So far todays total has been 21mm and rising rapidly - ahh reminds of the summers of years ago! :(

Posted

I have no idea if I a, in the correct place, but hey ho its a storm report and last night was quite amazing in this area.

About 11.30 ish I was facinated to see flashes of coloured light far in the distance. At first I assumed it was fireworks until I saw a vertical column of light, zig zag straight from the cloudy sky into the ground. A red glow seemed to surround it. One of the most amazing things I have seen for years. Quite remarkable, and it appears that many other Ilkley-ites saw exactly the same thing. Weather has never been talked about so much in these parts (and that is saying something when the average age of the inhabitants must be 104!)

Posted

:(

Weather has never been talked about so much in these parts (and that is saying something when the average age of the inhabitants must be 104!)

Timmy H - you have actually reminded me of the summers of the 70's when we used to have really bad storms, with flooding, power cuts and loads of lightning 8)

Even up here the wind has been picking up this afternoon, leaves falling like autumn :?

Posted

Was sitting here reading posts, when a big gust was battering the back door (it is locked), heard a big crack and both of us went running to the front of the house. A massive branch has given way on one of the treest out the front, the wind is almost as strong as it was lunchtime and appears to be gaining strength. The rain is pelting.

Ooops, should have posted this in Storms and Extreme Weather.....sorry mods - move it if you need to...please :(

Posted

Thundering here now in london 3 bolts of lightning now with crashes of thunder, raining very heavy

Posted

Here we go again, torrential rain with thunder and sheet lightning. 2nd storm of the night :(8)

Paul Sherman

Posted

Mr Sherman,

You lucky lucky man...all we have here are the most incredibly fast moving clouds, a very angry sky and a real chill in the air. Knowing my luck the best storm this year will occur when all sensible humans are safely tucked up in bed. However, it must added, as I am neither sensible or normal I may just be observing the middle of the night storm :wink:

Posted

WB, Not supposed to reply in the storm threads as Tim will wrap my knuckles but as today is coming to a close hear goes, I had 6 hours of low moving clouds from the North East today and thought we were never going to get any thundery stuff, but this evening the real French deal has struck, stick with it it will move up tonight and intensify.

Good luck

Paul Sherman

Posted

Sorry Tim, but Mr Sherman warrants a reply!

Mr S,

Thank you for giving me hope...I will blame you when I inevitably sleep through my alarm and spend the rest of the day looking for matchsticks to hold open my eyes.

I will observe with hopeful anticipation; thank you! Its slowly begining to get wilder here so surely that is a good sign!

WB

Posted

You will probably end up looking like the Cat :angel::D

Speaking of Cats mine nearly fell out of the kitchen window just then, the whole sky lit up with lightning and a massive crash of thunder again.

This summer lark is great.

Paul Sherman

Guest Phil_Uk

Just had a message from KT that she also having a thunderstorm. I saw the actual flash on her MSN webcam as proof. I'm posting this on her behalf as she's having difficulty typing as she's still shaking. She is not a big fan of storms.

Phil.

Posted

:shock: Hope KT's okay Phil - she posted earlier and said she has had powercuts :-o still expressed it in smilies lol :angel:

Posted
Here we go again, torrential rain with thunder and sheet lightning. 2nd storm of the night :angel:   :D

I had similar conditions last night, torrential downpours absolutely sweeping down, lightning plus sheet lightning. Sorry for the late report but was very occupied last night :wink::wink:

Posted

3Am-4Am, just finisghed listening to much, when all of a sudden. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Loudest thunder I have heard in my life...Im sure Summer95 might confirm this.

It was that loud, it set car alarms off, rattled houses, and took my mates power out Lol.