Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

The rain is so torrential here now it has set off alarms in nearby buildings. What I would give for some peace and quiet at this unearthly hour

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Nooooooo!

We have just got another bout of nasty torrential rain here...

The tertiary towel protection and the piggies are really feeling quite  challenged.......This rain is meant to end before 3am...so only 70mins to go.Paws crossed

xxx

EDIT: Thinking of changing my user name from Piigige Palace to "Soggy Wet Towels"..LOL ...shades of Basil Faulty/Warty towels  come to mind

Anyway. off to bed now amidst some hefty gusts and whistlng in my double glazingxxxx

Edited by PiggiePalace
  • Like 2

Posted

Talk about ironic. I'm trying to watch the latest news updates regarding the flooding and my satellite signal has been knocked out by intense rainfall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Very heavy rain woke me up about ten minutes ago. Grrrrrr! I'm wide awake, so..........shall I go make a cuppa?' Decisions, decisions. :)

Posted

Morning all, hope you are well. Big weekend, her indoors big 60th birthday bash tomorrow, the whole family gathering together for a meal, 3 generations ranging from four weeks to 70, at least I would be the eldest. Her birthdays on the 5th, so can someone remind to get her card out, yes I brought her one, not only that its a nice romantic one, that will surprise her. As per usual I am in the dog house, I couldn't resist it, it was one of those moments that don't come along very often now days, you know those cuddles moment, I had to say it, and she hit me, well I thought it was romantic, after the initial innocent cuddle, I said "that the first time time I ever cuddled a wrinkly". The family photo should look good with me standing there with a black eye. I just don't know why I have to do it, but I do, and she loves me really. I think our relationship is the perfect relationship and should be copied, it's based on the old formula of a love hate relationship, you know what coming don't you, so I won't disappoint, yes she loves to hate me :-).

Better stop there as one day she might read this. Just finished reading a fascinating book mostly concerning a local regiment, the royal west Kent's, whom my father fought with during the Second World War out in Burma, my father was the nicest, gentle, mam mountain, you could meet. He never talked about the war (as is common with all that fought out their), all I knew was he was an expert in explosives, and that he was to valuable to fight in a battle called Kohima and he was behind the Japanese line for around 6 months during this battle, as he said just blowing every thing up. Anyway the book "not ordinary men" didn't deal with what he did (wasn't a Chindit) but dealt with the actual battle (often called the battle of the tennis court as it was fought for a month over the narrow width of the tennis court) it was 800 v around 13000, the battle was hand to hand, during the monsoon season, continual rain and ankle deep mud, oh and it was in the jungle. I think I read it was the most numbers of VC's awarded in any battle fought by the British. Sorry getting a bit emotional, these lads in there 20's and from around Kent, back up with some welsh. Fought and defeated the japenenese and turned a disaster into a victory. If you are interested in history and bravery then might I suggest you have a read about it. I was amazed. Their are still one or 2 alive who fought out there, and the 70 anniversary is approaching in April. These lads deserve to be finally recognised, they where know as the forgotten army and they still are, you never hear mention of there outstanding feats, and I don't understand why, the fighting in Burma was horrific, and wgphere mostly undertaken by the "county regiments" ie Essex, Royal west Kent's etc. my next book I got for Christmas is about Arnhem so watch out, I will be boring you about that shortly :-).

Weather wise its seem dry out, its alway better to wait until sunrise before committing to the external weather, it's actually a very nice day out, feels chilly, no frost etc. mightt be a nice day for a wander in the country.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

So its Buckingham then?

Yay o/ we have a winner - sadly no prize (unless it hasn't snowed by June then you could probably have the 2013/4 snow cup I guess) lol

Were you the hairdresser or did you run the baths?

It was a chemist/ pharmacy when I worked there ! Anyway morning all - I don't want to alarm anyone but there s a big ball of fire in the sky here - how lovely it is to wake up to blue sky though, haven't seen any since we left Costa Teguise last Sunday ! Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Morning CK. Really interesting reading your post this morning. Especially as it was so personal to you. Whenever I read accounts like this, the thing that strikes me apart from the bravery of all those who fought, is how young they all were. My sons are 23 and 16 and firstly the thought of them fighting fills me with dread ,and secondly, that young people seem so immature these days compared to these brave lads that you have written about. That is no disrespect to my 2 who are really lovely young men and take care of me really well,, but I do wonder if they have the same sense of responsibility that older generations had.

Anyway, back to the weather. There is actually something bright and shining here this morning - I think it may be sunshine! Can see patches of blue sky from my bedroom window. We had so much rain here over night that I have water lying on the patio and I think a moat may be forming! It is quite calm here at the moment, but I think the high winds are set to reach here by lunch time.

Batten down the hatches again, and have a safe day everyone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Well, I spoke too soon as it is now raining! Sigh!

Perhaps I just imagined the blue sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Yay o/ we have a winner - sadly no prize (unless it hasn't snowed by June then you could probably have the 2013/4 snow cup I guess) lol

We could change to the Rain Depth Cup or the Flood Depth Cup but I think the humour will be ebbing soon for those affected.

A sunny morning here but when do the winds arrive -lunchtime onwards?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Morning all. Mole under warning and alert today. Sunshine and blue sky then black cloud and heavy rain and back to sunshine and blue sky all in the space of 15 minutes.

Sunroom was pouring water through last night in completely new places and is even worse than before they fixed it.

Hope everyone ok.

So awaiting next batch of Atlantic messiness :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

CK, how about putting it all in a blog?

• Like 1

Posted

Mornin each. It's sunny here with blue sky. Crikey!

Have a good day. :)

• Like 1

Posted

CK, how about putting it all in a blog?

Sorry Lauren, this might seem unbelievable to some, but I come from a generation of paper and pencils, I remember the first calculator, and personnel computer. I'm a Luddite (61 I know I don't look it) but seriously I heard of a blog, but I got no idea what it is, blimey suddenly I feel extremely old. I won't use twitter or Facebook for three reasons, first to many people get into trouble with them (including my engineers, who boast about knocking off early, being drunk etc), secondly I wouldn't know how too, and got no intention of learning, thirdly it don't know why anyone uses them.Atlantis I know exactly what you mean, when I look back to my youth or even at my son who is 28 there no way he or me could have survived what my father did, just as an example, one night there little group got overrun, and hand to hand fighting ensued, my father took a bayonet through the fleshy part of his upper leg, which pinned he to a tree, him and his best mate fought side by side all night with him pinned to the tree, they both survived, how I got no idea, his comment was, it was nothing, just a flesh wound. He was a lovely genial, modest man, but every so strong, even in his 60's no one argued with him, but he only got upset if I or any member of my family wanted to buy anything Japanese, not until after he died, de we buy anything. A totally different generation.Keeping on the weather topic here is a picture of the pitch today at Dartford FC, for those who don't where the mighty Darts play in on top off a 100' hill with very good drainage (or not:-))post-2909-0-31775200-1391248610_thumb.jp Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

What a treat to be greeted by blue skies when I opened the curtains this morning, long may it continue! Actually, it looks like much of the SE, away from the Channel coast, may miss the worst of the showers today  - which will be towards western areas. And tomorrow's looking mostly dry and sunny too.

All downhill next week though, 00z GFS was showing 60-70mph gusts on Wednesday for our region, then another nasty low coming across southern areas on Friday on GFS and EC, though track, for now, uncertain.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4

Posted

Nooooooo!

We have just got another bout of nasty torrential rain here...

The tertiary towel protection and the piggies are really feeling quite  challenged.......This rain is meant to end before 3am...so only 70mins to go.

OH NO I hope it isn't too bad.

This morning for once it seems calm, clear skies no rain no wind, Southernman just called and said its nice in Selsey as well, wonder how long this respite is going to last?

Posted

Morning :)

Currently 5c and just recently had a hail shower. Took some pics, maybe I can send that into the snow depth cup! :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Morning all.

Simply beautiful here in Bucks.

Am I going crazy or has the forecast for this weekend dramatically changed.

Katie

Posted

Charltonkerry........have a look around here...

http://wordpress.com

Judging by your posts, you could start a very good and interesting blog and it's so easy. I was 55 when I first learned about blogging (2011) and as I say, it's easy and you get lots of support. Anyway, just thought I'd post that link in case you want to have a look.

I cannot believe the change in this weather. It was positively WILD at 04:00 this morning. I'm sitting here by the sunny window and it's warm. :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Rain for London & South East England :

Oxfordshire, Bracknell Forest, Surrey, Wokingham, Kent, East Sussex, Hampshire, Reading, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Southampton, Greater London, Windsor and Maidenhead & Medway

An area of heavy rain and very strong winds will move northwards across the UK from Tuesday evening onwards through much of Wednesday. This could bring widespread rainfall accumulations of 15-25 mm across the south of England and Wales as well as eastern parts of Northern Ireland with in excess of 40 mm in some spots. Accompanying this, very strong winds are likely with gusts of 60-70 mph possible and perhaps even 80 mph along some coastlines in the southwest.

The public should be aware of the risk of disruption from flooding given the rain falling onto saturated ground. With strong winds and large waves, coastal overtopping will bring a further risk of flooding to the south coast of England.

Issued at:

1054 on Sat 1 Feb 2014

Valid from:

1800 on Tue 4 Feb 2014

Valid to:

2300 on Wed 5 Feb 2014

A low pressure system is expected to develop in the West Atlantic on Monday, deepening rapidly before moving northeast across the UK late on Tuesday through Wednesday. Following a succession of systems arriving after the very wet January, much of the ground in the south of England and parts of the south of Wales is saturated. Given the additional rain associated with this system there is a risk of further flooding, particularly in areas already affected so far this winter. Very strong winds with this system could in themselves lead to disruption and will also bring the potential for some coastal flooding in the south of England due to large waves.

• Like 2