Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Ali, can you confirm thisPosted Image

In the words of the now famous JP, lets see what the fax charts have to say later as the models seem to bringing up all sorts of possible storms.

Nothing would be a surprise this winter!

Severe flood warnings coming in for the river thames

Yes Tinybill, I have never seen eleven severe flood warnings before on the EA Flood site before, and the words from one I think says it all, poor peoplePosted Image

Properties closest to the River Thames at Datchet, between Black Potts Bridge and Albert Bridge

River levels on the Thames are very high and still rising in the Datchet area. A Severe Flood Warning is now in force as river levels will continue to rise for at least 24 hours and are forecast to be higher than those experienced in 2003 on the Thames. Widespread property flooding is expected in the area and disruption to local infrastructure is possible. The Environment Agency and its partners will update this message as the situation changes.

PS now risen to 16

Edited by chris mantle
  • Like 1

Posted

Nothing would be a surprise this winter!

reading the  Atlantic  storm tread  reg  Thames if  it do flood and watching sky  cobra is  in session   again  how much  of London could  get flooded  by this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes Tinybill, I have never seen eleven severe flood warnings before on the EA Flood site before, and the words from one I think says it all, poor peoplePosted Image

Properties closest to the River Thames at Datchet, between Black Potts Bridge and Albert Bridge

River levels on the Thames are very high and still rising in the Datchet area. A Severe Flood Warning is now in force as river levels will continue to rise for at least 24 hours and are forecast to be higher than those experienced in 2003 on the Thames. Widespread property flooding is expected in the area and disruption to local infrastructure is possible. The Environment Agency and its partners will update this message as the situation changes.

PS now risen to 16

Is that because they've raised the Thames Barrier and now the water can't get out?

Think of all those poor interior designers who have their show homes ruined.... ordinary people too of course. Never mind - all the politicians live in Notting HILL or Primrose HILL - they'll be fine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Just had a small storm cell overhead. Was in the garden when an SqueezeyJet diverted over our house to avoid the cell. As it did a very yellow strike of lightning occurred. The resultant thunder was just a loud crack, no echoes. OH said it sounded like it hit the aircraft and thus the plane absorbed the noise.

I saw the strike and it was directly in line with the plane. It was the weirdest noise either of us ever heard.

Then we had a 5 minute hailstorm.

• Like 2

Posted

This picture coming in from Walton-on-Thames. The EA flood map shows water encroaching right up to the tarmac at Heathrow, with the M25 effectively cut-off as a result.

post-8763-0-53589700-1391963248_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Thursday looks terrible if the mods verify (see Atlantic storm thread). Hope this changes!!

Yep looks vicious, lets hope it don't verify.

post-9147-0-38747400-1391963337_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

Afternoon everone. Well that was a very lively night, thunder, very bright lightning, gusty winds and heavy hail!! Kids slept throughtl while hubby and I got up, made a cuppa and watched it!!  Got up late this morning and also been to Soch cheering on Jenny Jonesi!!

Trying to sort out camera and settings to capture "northern lights" as this time next week will be on the plane to Levi in Lapland..... 

Enjoy whats left of the weekend...sometimes it's very enjoyable doing little all day!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Hideous! No way is this a run of the mill 'wet and windy' winter - it's extreme and we need it to end. :(

• Like 9

Is that because they've raised the Thames Barrier and now the water can't get out?

Think of all those poor interior designers who have their show homes ruined.... ordinary people too of course. Never mind - all the politicians live in Notting HILL or Primrose HILL - they'll be fine.

I think it's down to a mixture of both, there is so much water coming down stream that the river is rising but also as it's a tidal river it will back up at high tide.  They can use the barrier to help stop the tide coming up the Thames however you still have the water coming down so at this stage it's probably a catch 22.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the COBRA meeting, will we see troops being sent in to evacuate people ect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

This picture coming in from Walton-on-Thames. The EA flood map shows water encroaching right up to the tarmac at Heathrow, with the M25 effectively cut-off as a result.

Posted ImageBf-f-obIIAEY9Ct.jpg large.jpg

Quite shocking and makes you wonder where the next lot of rain is going to go - I still don't think some people realise how serious this is for our region and what the short and long term effects and implications could be !
  • Like 5

Posted

I'm not sure of the geography of areas of london but friends there have said that if the thames barrier is raised and the water gets high enough, they will be flooded out with the runoff.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Spent most of today getting my wooden post into it's spike ready to mount for the Vantage Vue,

Posted Image

Finally got it in the ground and level, just giving it the final coat of paint now then I'll attach the mounting kit to it Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

If I were David Cameron, Nick Clegg or Ed Miliband and the most populous parts of the country slowly flooding or being evacuated - I'd be playing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGmAmJFUvzM&feature=kp

Hope they go and the military take over for a year until the 2015 elections. I've had enough!

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

be interesting to see if ecm goes with gfs around this timespan

if it does gfs shows this a shade later

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

that would be handy that set up

a lot of drier weather

and the chance of us seeing a cold end to february

and the bit not everyone wants

a cold march

who thinks winter might be late this year ?Posted Image

all the usual fi charts etc

however heres the 00z ecm ensembles

for rainfall

Posted Image

from the 16th on

a lot dryer

• Like 5

Posted

Well was a blowy walk to the next village again today, some short sharp bursts of rain too, back and finally had a long enough dry spell to put out the car charger.

Feeling a tad cooler too.

In other news the geese have finally started laying eggs again Posted Image

Posted Image

Just need to decide what I will do with them?

Dad was a FEPOW on the Burma-Siam Railway. He said if you boiled them they kept for weeks and weeks.

Posted

2x Thames Barrier gates being raised, with floodwaters behind along Staines just 6cm off the highest recorded level and still rising.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Worrying situation here in Staines, the Thames is so high and rising. Water starting to come up through drains. Had the warning phone call advising of possible evacuation.

• Like 1