Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 10/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Forecast gust by the metoffice for here, and we are inland, of 70mph. Not to be sniffed at. Certain to be worse the nearer the coast you get. 

Routes N - S on the M6 bound to be hit by severe crosswinds, I'd say the journey home tonight will be a slow one thats for sure.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Forecast gust by the metoffice for here, and we are inland, of 70mph. Not to be sniffed at. Certain to be worse the nearer the coast you get. 

Routes N - S on the M6 bound to be hit by severe crosswinds, I'd say the journey home tonight will be a slow one thats for sure.

We are also due to get ~70mph based on the MetOffice site and we are 30 miles inland on the N.Yorks Lancashire border. This really has potential to be damaging over a lot of the North of England.

Stay safe all, and prepare! Already checked all our trees and buildings to ensure they should be safe, but who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I went to see a Clairvoyant this morning to see if there was any snow on the way. Imagine my surprise when i turned up and she was closed due to unforseen circumstances!!!! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Haha very funny!! Doesnt quite work like that paul, unfortunately lol

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

Looks like my location will be right in the fireing line for the strongest gusts as less than a mile from the coast and road I live on runs staight down to it

• Like 1

Posted

Haha very funny!! Doesnt quite work like that paul, unfortunately lol

I know that. Hows you today. How's your lil Man doing

• Like 1

Posted

Yep was watching it on netweather's free snow radar for Android. Very good for a free app

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

Not going to get anything other than rain and STUPIDLY strong wind here

Edited by davacr123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Hes fine thanks paul.

Raining here as per!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The 06z downgrades it slightly for us as the propensity has been for it to move southwards with time. In that case we will probably "only" get 45-55mph gusts away from the immediate coastline. On the coast 55-65mph possible based on the latest GFS. Certainly NW Wales is in the firing line.

Edited by SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well the rain has started and the wind is picking up, it's going to be an interesting day

Posted

Shipping forecast for the Irish Sea

Irish Sea

Gale warnings - Issued: 0820 UTC Wed 12 Feb

Severe gale force 9 veering southwesterly and increasing hurricane force 12 imminent

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 0405 UTC Wed 12 Feb Wind South veering southwest 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9 to violent storm 11. Sea State Moderate or rough, becoming very rough or high, then very high in south for a time. Weather Rain or showers. Visibility Good, becoming moderate.
Edited by johnwirral
  • Like 3

Shipping forecast for the Irish Sea

Irish Sea

Gale warnings - Issued: 0820 UTC Wed 12 Feb

Severe gale force 9 veering southwesterly and increasing hurricane force 12 imminent

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 0405 UTC Wed 12 Feb Wind South veering southwest 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9 to violent storm 11. Sea State Moderate or rough, becoming very rough or high, then very high in south for a time. Weather Rain or showers. Visibility Good, becoming moderate.

reminds me of wen i worked on the liverpool to dublin ferries many year ago,some atrocious conditions! getting your sea legs was one thing,staying upright regardless of how long youd been working on them was quite another,Its frightening at night,no lights around and being tossed and battered about.

• Like 2

Posted

Its sleet for sure as its leaving slushy deposits on my window...Gonna go out now and get bills paid etc before it gets going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

The 06z downgrades it slightly for us as the propensity has been for it to move southwards with time. In that case we will probably "only" get 45-55mph gusts away from the immediate coastline. On the coast 55-65mph possible based on the latest GFS. Certainly NW Wales is in the firing line.

This seems like a big downgrade Stephen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Bear in mind it's the GFS, and it doesn't take note of small changes, so it could be wrong, but it's definitely gone in that direction.. is it overplaying a downgrade, or is it correct? I don't know but it slackens the isobars over our region and widens the lows centre. It may be wrong?

Anyhow if anyone local wants to feel the full fury of a westerly gale, go to Oldfield Road in Heswall, it's situated high up overlooking the River Dee with nothing but estuary and open sea for miles.. it's not unusual for that site to get over 80mph gusts.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Strongest winds for NW England this evening after 6pm onwards roughly, the peak over Cumbria looking to be around 9pm to midnight according the the 6z GFS.

Severe gales penetrating inland over coastal regions. I can't see any downgrades if anything it's slightly worse! 95-100km/h+ mean speeds through the Irish Sea. The isobars do slacken off a bit as the centre of the depression tracks NE close to our region and then really tighten up again on the southern flank. 

post-9615-0-77870700-1392201007_thumb.gi 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Looks like my location will be right in the fireing line for the strongest gusts as less than a mile from the coast and road I live on runs staight down to it

Yes, I think we 2 could have quite a wild evening. The winds are going to be coming straight off the river as well, so nothing but Crosby Village in the way here. 

Posted

Red warning of wind issued by the metoffice. Coastal areas of N Wales and the NW of England, Blackpool, Lancashire and Cumbria and Merseyside.

Edited by Snow free zone
  • Like 2

Posted

On the MetO mountain area for the Peak District the forecast for today is 'Gusts 80 to 90 mph are likely later in the afternoon and evening over exposed ridges.'

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html