Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 01/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Sorry I am very confused, so lets get back to the weather.

It has been a dry day here although there were times when the clouds came over and it looked like some rain, nice clear start with a ground frost which must only be the fifth of the winter.  The temperature is now falling away and stands at 4.2c at the moment.

It looks like some milder weather towards the weekend although the threat of frost seems to still be there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Sorry I am very confused, so lets get back to the weather.

It has been a dry day here although there were times when the clouds came over and it looked like some rain, nice clear start with a ground frost which must only be the fifth of the winter.  The temperature is now falling away and stands at 4.2c at the moment.

It looks like some milder weather towards the weekend although the threat of frost seems to still be there.

It's a climate change website called 'Watts Up With That', with info on the sun and the cycle it is entering and other WEATHER related news.

• Like 1

Posted

I see that makes sense when explained as it read like a statement, looks rather interesting

http://wattsupwiththat.com/

Sorry, Chris, confused my self too and I wrote the damn post LOL. Should always read my posts before pressing the send button, not the other way round. There are lots of interesting articles on the site, it's worth a look.

• Like 1

Sorry, Chris, confused my self too and I wrote the damn post LOL. Should always read my posts before pressing the send button, not the other way round. There are lots of interesting articles on the site, it's worth a look.

No problem, I am bookmarking that ready for the winter of 2014/2015 when the easterly winds will return and the snow is six foot deep.

Ok I write for the Daily Snow ExpressPosted Image

Temperature now down to 3.1c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My thermometer fell off the wall and is nowhere to be seen. How am I supposed to live on? Posted Image

• Like 1

Surely we must have a good snowy winter next time ?we had a fab summer last year went to selsey for holiday, this year we are off to mine head (world up finals )fingers crossed Australia and England are in :)and Bognor at new year so fingers crossed for a hot summer and a snowy Christmas !! Or is the snow at Christmas just for films and Xmas cards ?

Edited by snowlady36
  • Like 5

Posted

No problem, I am bookmarking that ready for the winter of 2014/2015 when the easterly winds will return and the snow is six foot deep.

Ok I write for the Daily Snow ExpressPosted Image

Temperature now down to 3.1c

The Quasi Biennial Oscillation is suppose to move into an easterly phase, hopefully in time for next winter, then your prediction may come true. Hope it does.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Can I bank this please ....

post-10773-0-70739100-1393968413_thumb.j

Sunday could potentially bring some of the highest temperatures of the year so far if we are lucky :-)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

upturned pine cone and a sprig of dry seaweed?

Posted

I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying Tam's post here which gave me a (after reading it a couple of times) a much better insight into the possible course of events. Thanks, dear. Not bad for 87 Posted Image . Most grateful for your postings here..I never even go to the MAD thread, so never saw the tussles. And an extra thumbs up to JP, whose fax-related short term forecasts beat all the agencies time and time again.

I would like some dry weather. Sunshine would be nice. 

legrandefromage's fantastical journey could only end one way....bath towel in the garden. Respect, mate, as a late night NW poster occasionally. Oops.

3.6c and sunny. I may have lied about the second bit. New moon, so lots of stars are visible.

• Like 5

Posted

Can I bank this please ....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Sunday could potentially bring some of the highest temperatures of the year so far if we are lucky :

I hope it moves to Saturday, I'm at my inlaws all day Sunday and I want to do some gardening.

Posted

The Quasi Biennial Oscillation is suppose to move into an easterly phase, hopefully in time for next winter, then your prediction may come true. Hope it does.

I said at the beginning of winter, in one of my rare visits to the MAD thread that this winter would be disappointing ( but not as disappointing as it turned out) due to the QBO being in the Westerly phase

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Surely we must have a good snowy winter next time ?we had a fab summer last year went to selsey for holiday, this year we are off to mine head (world up finals )fingers crossed Australia and England are in :)and Bognor at new year so fingers crossed for a hot summer and a snowy Christmas !! Or is the snow at Christmas just for films and Xmas cards ?

Until the Julian Calender was changed to the Gregorian one (both Popes) Christmas Day on the 25th December would have been our 6th January.

In the 16th Century, year by year, Easter was getting too close to early summer, when it was supposed to be in spring, so Pope Gregory deleted 11 days from the ecclesiastical year.

Snow and cold is quite common during the first week of January, whereas in the final week of December (nearly two weeks beforehand) it isn't.

Strangely, May * or Hawthorn blossom still comes into bloom around the end of the first or second week of May (the month). It was called 'May blossom' because it used to come into bloom during the last week of April/first week of May when the Julian Calender was in force. I always check the date as we have quite a few hawthorns in our garden and more often than not it comes into flower around the 10/11/12th May. It seems hawthorn trees didn't get the memo. Posted Image

* Not to be confused with the white blackthorn which is much earlier.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 3

Posted

I said at the beginning of winter, in one of my rare visits to the MAD thread that this winter would be disappointing ( but not as disappointing as it turned out) due to the QBO being in the Westerly phase

I avoid the MAD thread, but everyone else was way off the mark with their cold winter predictions. Do you know when the QBO is forecast to move out of its westerly phase, as this has been one of the reasons for the stormy, mild winter? What is your spring/summer prediction?

Posted

96 fax for saturday

Posted Image

a weak south east to south west flow

temps

Posted Image

maybe cloudy am but clearing pm

looks dry and temps 13-15 degrees

a shade chilly saturday night but not cold

sunday 120

Posted Image

a warm southerly flow

temps

Posted Image

maybe a shade misty on the south coasts and rural areas am

clearing pm to leave a nice warm day

15-17 degrees

seen worse

i knew it would be nice when i agreed to work this weekend Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

ecm ensembles

temps

Posted Image

cor they almost agree to the 13th

wind

Posted Image

the odd breeze but nothing of concern

rain

Posted Image

that will do Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Posted

Posted Image

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

still looks a litlle unclear after the 10th on there

looking pretty dry to the 15th though

off for an early one

nite all Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

A reasonable day here - cloudy with sunny spells, cold, ............ but VERY LITTLE RAIN Posted ImagePosted Image

Quickie update:  dear old blind Ginger piggy (who lost his wifey Tia recently) is coping well and going speed dating tomorrow in the hope of finding a new wifey (or two) to help groom his eyes and alert him to when the veggies are being served. (Don;t worry - he is de-plummed)

All paws crossed here ...

xxxx

• Like 4