Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 01/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Breakfast weather was ramping the chances of storms for London area today. Surprised to see no mention of it on here though. It's certainly gone a bit dark in town over the last 15mins or so

A Storm & Convective Forecast was issued this morning at 10:30

post-10773-0-85175700-1393845715_thumb.p

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

Synopsis

Cold upper trough/vortex extends eastward from the Atlantic across the UK during Tuesday, with an area of surface low pressure drifting east along the English Channel, with bands of heavy showers and thunderstorms circulating around this low across southern Britain.

... S WALES, S ENGLAND, S MIDLANDS & E ANGLIA ...

Steep mid-level lapse rates created by cold upper trough atop moist maritime airmass along with some weak insolation will result in a few 100 j/kg CAPE across southern Britian during Tuesday ... with bands of convection circulating around low drifting east across southern England. Slow-moving heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms accompanied by hail will affect the above areas through the day, becoming aligned into bands which may bring large rainfall totals in places - which may lead to a risk of localised flooding. Overall vertical shear will be rather weak today, however, local breeze convergence under the slack conditions of the shallow surface low may allow funnel clouds or even a brief weak tornado to develop with the more buoyant updrafts in stronger convective cells - particularly over coastal areas.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective%3Bsess%3Dfd6a636d85839e50139d5a2c0b5c00bc

I also mentioned it in my early morning post in this thread....

Low pressure is tracking very close to Southern England through the course of today bringing with it the increasing risk of heavy showers, these will merge in spiralling bands of more organised heavy rain at times.

There is a slight risk of thunderstorms today but the main risk will be the heavy and potentially torrential rain that will fall during these showers which after the recent very wet weather and the high water table will cause surface water flooding.

Have a lovely Monday Posted Image 

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted

The latest from ATD.net Met-Office lightning detection shows a red dot across Sussex way as the storms begin to develop...

post-10773-0-90510700-1393846638_thumb.j

This image from the Netweather subscription radar shows the area of low pressure (L) sitting across southern areas of the UK. This will be throwing showers and longer spells of rain in an anti clockwise direction across the Channel Islands, Isle of Wight, central and southern England and central and southern Wales, as indicated by the arrow.....

post-10773-0-37706400-1393846819_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

heavyish shower a short while ago here in St James. Seems to have passed now.

hoping its not raining this evening. got to take daughter football training in sittingbourne. shall be watching from the car if its wet Posted Image

she then plays a county game tomorrow in Harlow, so, again, hoping its dry tomorrow PM.

edited becasue past and passed are two different words :rolleyes:

Edited by MAF

Posted

heavyish shower a short while ago here in St James. Seems to have past now.

My rain alarm has just gone off to tell me that precipitation is 5 miles away... I better drink my coffee and get to Waitrose quick !!

• Like 1

Posted

My rain alarm has just gone off to tell me that precipitation is 5 miles away... I better drink my coffee and get to Waitrose quick !!

pick me up a muffin while your there MK :D

TTFN

Posted

pick me up a muffin while your there MK Posted Image

TTFN

Shouldn't that be a Pppppppp ...................enguin (or maybe a Puffin) 

I'll get my (rain) coat.....I left it too late to go out it's pouring now Posted Image

Posted

Breakfast weather was ramping the chances of storms for London area today. Surprised to see no mention of it on here though. It's certainly gone a bit dark in town over the last 15mins or so

Yep as per MK's post's above, this threat of t/storms has been mentioned a number of times here on NW.  Fingers crossed for those of us who like them eh ?

Edited: Some promising looking skies showing on the Bognor Regis live webcam at the moment.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 1

Posted

Quite impressed with myself, since I became single again I went into a depressed and student style life, have pulled it all back and organised my life and my home, even just finished putting all the clothes (socks etc included) into their correct homes and places, lounge was already done, along with the kitchen, bedroom now the same, bathroom already done, anyway you get the idea, the home is tidy and respectful again and I have worked hard this year to make a fresh start.  And here I am, open for business.

post-10773-0-34149100-1393849125_thumb.j

Well done and good luck finding your 'Gladys Emmanuel'...it sounds like your ready for a fresh start Posted Image

I'm going now - hopefully before the next heavy shower arrives !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just been for a look around Linda's new house. It's lovely with bags of old character and a nice garden. Can anyone identify this tree.

On a weather note, it's been sunny and quite warm, but clouds are gathering. :)

post-17085-0-21530800-1393849654_thumb.j

Posted

Just been for a look around Linda's new house. It's lovely with bags of old character and a nice garden. Can anyone identify this tree.

On a weather note, it's been sunny and quite warm, but clouds are gathering. Posted Image

Is it a fruit tree of some kind??, only guessing mind you Posted Image

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted

Just had a hail shower here in lowland East London. A few impressive minutes of something white in the back garden....

Posted

Very dark and deepening grey clouds approx south-ish of here, probably those little red rectangles I can see on the radar. Must dash to convective thread to see if anything interesting is on the way. Will report back if anything extreme weathery arrives.

Edit: I see in the convective thread Nick F has reported from Heathrow some isolated thunder and lightning over Hounslow, looks like it might stay south of here.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Hail producer half hour ago in SE London,temporary covering on the street.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Thunder and lightning in Hounslow, west London in last half hour, one nice cg seen - accompanied by an instant boom of thunder. Quite slow moving these showers, so some localised flooding likely.

Netweather storm forecast for today: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective%3Bsess%3Dfd6a636d85839e50139d5a2c0b5c00bc

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Had a couple of claps of thunder here in 'Orrible 'Arlow about an hour ago, now either raining extremely heavily, or we need more insulation in on our tin roof :-)

You sure that it wasn't gunfire!

The other day I noted that you are interested in the first world war and are considering writing a book on the subject. I know someone through my role as safety officer at Chelmsford City (He wrote a book about the history of our club in the 1960's when he lived in the area- he now lives in Leatherhead) who has written a fictional book on the first world war- covering a young footballer tyring to make it before the war with Preston but got thrown into the conflict on the front line. It is well worth a read. It is by Steve Little and is entitled More than Just a Life. and is published by Authorhouse. It is a very good read. If you want me to contact him for advice on publishing please let me know.

Back on topic- just had a heavy shower in NW1, a little brighter now but looks rather stormy.

Kind regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted

Just a few miles north of Hounslow/Heathrow and Uxbridge here and the skies are a uniform sheet of slate grey, becoming darker by the minute. Not a breath of wind to be felt, and the first drops of rain are now falling.

I have already heard more rumbles of thunder in the first 62 days of 2014 than I did in the whole of 2013.

The stillness and growing darkness are quite eerie, I love the build up to a storm.

• Like 4

Posted

Sorry for any confusion, no thunder or lightning here today either so far, but several episodes since the start of the year.

Heavy batch leaving France headed North atm not sure if its dissipating tho. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Could be a Kent Clipper in the making ?

Posted

On a weather note, it's been sunny and quite warm, but clouds are gathering. Posted Image

a leafy tree Posted Image  :p

• Like 1

Posted

Just started to rain lightly here. Was reading the NW March forecast with interest saying that we "trend" to have a warm March after a mild winter and that the last few days are forecast to be warm in the East and South,well the end of the month I am away fishing for a week in France,not far from Paris so is it wishful thinking that this could apply loosely to my trip ? Normally warmer than here at the lakes I am going to .

Posted

Looking at the radar ... is that blob over France going to continue swinging round to catch London from the East? Or is that a silly question from an amateur?