Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I'm not very impressed with this weekend's outlook to be honest. Too much cloud and drizzle and not enough sun. Temperatures in the high teens isn't great either.I thought we were under high-pressure!

We are but this is what happens when its centered too far west

Posted

I'm not very impressed with this weekend's outlook to be honest. Too much cloud and drizzle and not enough sun. Temperatures in the high teens isn't great either.I thought we were under high-pressure!

so we are predicted to be but the position of the high governs what happens at the surface?

see this link on the surface pattern expected over the next 120 hours

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=fax;sess=

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Grand forecast down here so not bad for everywhere! Usual doom in the MOD thread looking for the breakdown though.

• Like 1

Posted

Grand forecast down here so not bad for everywhere! Usual doom in the MOD thread looking for the breakdown though.

Thankfully the ensembles and met office don't support a breakdown in the reliable timeframe, away from the SE where cooler conditions are expected it looks like a decent spell coming up with some warm sunshine and temperatures more often than not above the seasonal average away from the SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The upcoming spell of weather looks unremarkable here - not particularly sunny and no great shakes in the temperature department. Pleasant enough I suppose.

With that being said, each of the past 9 days (including today) have reached at least 20C. Not very sunny though. If the current trend continues, we'll certainly finish below average.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The upcoming spell of weather looks unremarkable here - not particularly sunny and no great shakes in the temperature department. Pleasant enough I suppose.

With that being said, each of the past 9 days (including today) have reached at least 20C. Not very sunny though. If the current trend continues, we'll certainly finish below average.

Amazing you are just a stone throw from here and only yesterday made 20 deg out of the last 9 days and only just at that!!!

Posted

It feels very humid at the moment - it was very humid yesterday under very slack conditions and barely a breath of wind. I wonder if it is simply the combination of cloudy skies and no wind, quite unusual given its a northerly/northeasterly feed of air. Whilst, humidity is most often associated with low pressure and airstreams from between west and southeast, I suspect its because the air source is still atlantic based its just been forced to ride NE around the high pressure.. this would make sense. Nightime minima have been preety high - on paper looking at the synoptics you would expect much cooler minima, but the current high has formed under quite a moist atlantic air source... later next week should see cooler uppers and much less in the way of humid conditions and also cooler minima - something we haven't had for absolutely ages..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Amazing you are just a stone throw from here and only yesterday made 20 deg out of the last 9 days and only just at that!!!

Interesting! Even Bingley has reached 20C three times.

Posted

see the technical thread for UK Met model predictions for summer 2014, put it there as not able to find this lin!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/glob-seas-prob

• Like 1

Posted
Seem to be heading towards another desperately poor June.  125% of average rain for the first half of June here and just 87% of average sunshine.

The latter looks set to get even worse with a grim outlook for the whole of next week. The latest excruciatingly dull spell from this excruciating year. Very similar to the unpleasant dull high pressure from 6th to 20th June 2010 but at least that high sunk southwards to deliver a fine spell in the final third whereas this looks like moving further north west introducing northerlies and more rotten cloudy weather.

As sick as I was of unsettled weather I would far rather see a continuation of what prevailed up to the 11th. At least there was warm sunshine between the rain/showers. The last 4 days have been utterly vile with almost incessant overcast. In the past this would have been noteworthy for June but in this era of record-breaking awful summers, where 10+ days in a row of overcast are far from unknown, it is the norm. 

You could not make this dismal year up. 6 months of suffering dull southerlies giving endless gloom and now it reaches summer when southerlies would bring sunshine, we suffer cool cloudy northerlies.

The poor spring makes it all the more depressing this year. May managed a woeful 152 hours of sun and I wonder if this will be beaten at all this year. It is feeling very much like 1993, a consistently awful year where July was the sunniest month with a similar lousy total.

In addition this is also looking like the third successive June to struggle to reach 20C. It wasn’t reached at all in 2012, only on the 30th last year and has only just been reached this year but the warmest day remains 16th May with 20.2C and looks like doing so for some time. Absolutely pathetic. I really do wonder given the complete lack of extremes if this year will end up with both the lowest maximum and highest minimum on record.

Minima continue close to record breaking for the fourth successive month. At 10.6C the mean minimum is currently over 2C above average.  The only other Junes to finish with a double digit mean min were 2003 and 1966, the latter a rare example from the past of the repellent type of month that has been so commonplace over the past 15 years, especially so this year – very dull and wet with very mild nights and average day temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

There have been better starts to June, but his one certainly isn't the worst. It would be sods law though, that the only persistant high that develops is in a completely wrong position.

its a good position for me, hot weather sucks!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

That is the plus point about the current outlook. That is that it will be still dry useable weather for most with any outdoor activities being unaffected. Temperatures in the south still look like reaching 20c so not too bad. Its not like 2012 when we had to wait till the 23rd of July for our summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I actually think were having quite a nice June and summer so far, the only criticism I have about this summer so far is we need maybe our temperatures to be higher, other than that, not too bad at all especially for England and Wales.

Maybe you are having it good  down steeple claydon but up here in the pennines it is not,constant dull,drizzle and rain I have only registered 3 occasions above 20 deg,a max of 23  while you in the south have been basking in glorious sunshine and 25 deg day after day.Mind you I guess that is normal really!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Today was the first time in 5 days the cloud has had a real show here. Still some really nice sunshine to be had too! Rest of the week looks very decent. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

First significant sunshine here since Thursday- in this area of North Yorkshire the weather has generally been cooler and cloudier since the high took over.  There's more cloud heading south through Scotland though, and I can see the next few days being mostly cloudy here with cool days and warm nights.  However I can certainly see much of western, especially south-western Britain, and Ireland having a lot of sunshine and quite warm temperatures by day.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Mostly cloudy at my location for the last few days overall although thankfully this afternoon the skies cleared,hope they stay mostly clear here for the next few days. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Big Mid Summer Fest holidays in Sweden now. Forecast has snow in parts of the Northern Region on Mid Summers Eve ! Taking my winter robes to Stockholm this Thursday.  Land of the Mid Night sun and snow flurries, weird.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GLOSEA model looks consistent with advertising higher heights to the NW throughout the remainder of summer

Posted Image

At this early stage autumn looks interesting.....potentially very stormy with a jet further S than normal?

Posted Image

Can't wait until August when we will get to see its first musings for winter :p

• Like 1

Posted

Cracking summers day here in Darlington very warm in the sunshine at 23.4c and a feels like temp of 25c. So very different to the poor summers of 2007 to 2012 about time high pressure had a say in June when the days are long

Meanwhile the Irish met office have issued a weather warning at temperature soar to just below 30c http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-weather-met-eireann-issues-3713718

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Seem to be heading towards another desperately poor June.  125% of average rain for the first half of June here and just 87% of average sunshine.

The latter looks set to get even worse with a grim outlook for the whole of next week. The latest excruciatingly dull spell from this excruciating year. Very similar to the unpleasant dull high pressure from 6th to 20th June 2010 but at least that high sunk southwards to deliver a fine spell in the final third whereas this looks like moving further north west introducing northerlies and more rotten cloudy weather.

As sick as I was of unsettled weather I would far rather see a continuation of what prevailed up to the 11th. At least there was warm sunshine between the rain/showers. The last 4 days have been utterly vile with almost incessant overcast. In the past this would have been noteworthy for June but in this era of record-breaking awful summers, where 10+ days in a row of overcast are far from unknown, it is the norm. 

You could not make this dismal year up. 6 months of suffering dull southerlies giving endless gloom and now it reaches summer when southerlies would bring sunshine, we suffer cool cloudy northerlies.

The poor spring makes it all the more depressing this year. May managed a woeful 152 hours of sun and I wonder if this will be beaten at all this year. It is feeling very much like 1993, a consistently awful year where July was the sunniest month with a similar lousy total.

In addition this is also looking like the third successive June to struggle to reach 20C. It wasn’t reached at all in 2012, only on the 30th last year and has only just been reached this year but the warmest day remains 16th May with 20.2C and looks like doing so for some time. Absolutely pathetic. I really do wonder given the complete lack of extremes if this year will end up with both the lowest maximum and highest minimum on record.

Minima continue close to record breaking for the fourth successive month. At 10.6C the mean minimum is currently over 2C above average.  The only other Junes to finish with a double digit mean min were 2003 and 1966, the latter a rare example from the past of the repellent type of month that has been so commonplace over the past 15 years, especially so this year – very dull and wet with very mild nights and average day temperatures.

Warm there today well over 20c :)

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

another 23c... fresh clear air, beautiful weather...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Turning into quite a nice June now after the first week was a bit rubbish. The outlook looking decent too. Anyone remember those washout summers we used to have hah!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Warmest day ive recorded so far this year with clear skies all day,max temp 24.6c.

Posted

Another very warm day and pretty much total sun all day on the Costa Del Fal. 23c. :D

• Like 1