Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

just looked at ecm and nearly wet myselff.

Then i remembered sheds famous make the most of the next week in early july as the jet is going to power up and bascally bring a very unsettled second half of july,then i actually did wet myself.l

ol

Can't see it becoming unsettled for some time yet. Sure, it's going to be cloudy for the next 2-3 days but it's looking very positive to improve afterwards. Certainly not a full breakdown. 

ECM and GFS both favour a warm-hot spell for quite some time yet. 

• Like 1

Posted

Ye it was nice like that here,too. Now the sun's come out that's another evening ruined.

have you thought about living in an underground home? you are lucky you didn't see 30c today like i did, it was awful out there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's a shame that the models have consistently downgraded the potential for hot weather in this part of the world - GFS doesn't even show any day reaching 25C. I suppose it was to be expected. I'm starting to think that this is turning into a 'SE vs the rest' kind of scenario. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

i'm quoting myself because i can foresee the future. last year must have been a fluke.

it's a good thing i have a life - or i would have been severely p*ssed off.

(cant be arsed capitalising on mobile)

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Can't see it becoming unsettled for some time yet. Sure, it's going to be cloudy for the next 2-3 days but it's looking very positive to improve afterwards. Certainly not a full breakdown. 

Neither can I, looks like turning boring after Sunday, with non stop sunshine and 29C, with no chance of storms

Posted

Chance of a fantastic storm tonight. lighting has started now but the thunder is a long way away. Looking at the charts it looks like quite a violent and lengthy storm. 

Weather forecast for my area says it's due to last all of tonight and most of tomorrow. Hope that's the case as it would be the best storm in a long time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office confirmed just before 1am that 90F was hit yesterday after Gravesend, Kent, hit 32.3C (90.1F)

Temps though still very warm look like taking a dip in the coming week from current high levels with more pleasant humidity especially at night, don't think we're in for an August 1995 repeat, the high looks like establishing itself to our NE we need it to our SE to drag the proper hot air (>15C 850 hPa) our way.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Turned into a nice day here. 25c and quite humid. Bit disappointed about the lack of storms here but very happy we've got another warm day. 

Posted

Temps though still very warm look like taking a dip in the coming week from current high levels with more pleasant humidity especially at night, don't think we're in for an August 1995 repeat, the high looks like establishing itself to our NE we need it to our SE to drag the proper hot air (>15C 850 hPa) our way.

On the contrary, next week looks about on par with this last week. No sign of a significant drop in temperature. We are in quite a stubborn high now. 

While I don't think we'll reach the heights of August 1995 (that would take something magnificent) I do think August will be another warm month, or even hot. 

Anyway, that's hard to predict. But I'm certain that at least the rest of July will be mostly settled and warm-hot. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

On the contrary, next week looks about on par with this last week. No sign of a significant drop in temperature. We are in quite a stubborn high now. 

While I don't think we'll reach the heights of August 1995 (that would take something magnificent) I do think August will be another warm month, or even hot. 

Anyway, that's hard to predict. But I'm certain that at least the rest of July will be mostly settled and warm-hot. 

You mean in the south!!Been raining here most of the day havnt seen the sun in 2 days ,max 19 deg!!

Posted

although i detest hot humid weather it was nice sitting in the garden just now, much better than being inside my hot stuffy house

Edited by Tony27

Posted

I wonder if we'll beat last years high of 34.1°C at Heathrow on August 1st

32.3C is this years high so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It depends, we would need to see some kind of draw of hot air from the south.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This would do in that regard for example.

• Like 1

Posted

Interseting as 32.3 deg has been bettered in 2011,2012 and 2013

also 5 times in the noughties

6 times in the 90's

twice in the 80's

twice in the 70's

4 times in the 60's

6 times in the 50's

8 times in the 40's

and 6 times in the 30's.....!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its turning into a pretty decent summer for the country as a whole. No really prolonged dry weather but that would just lead to a drought so would be quite problematic. Over here we've had more rain than i would like but there has still been an abundance of warm and pleasant days. This summer really does put the ghastly summer months of July 2007, July 2009 or June 2012 into perspective. They were truly awful.

• Like 2

Posted

July has been an absolutely brilliant summer month so far. 3-5 days of warm, sunny weather followed by a thundery breakdown. As soon as the storms have finished the heat has built again for another 3-5 days, followed by another thundery breakdown and it's pretty much followed that pattern. Perfect summer weather!

Pretty reminiscent of the summers in the 90's really. 

While I haven't had too much storm action here, aside from Thursday night. Over the country as a whole it's been rife. Best storms in a long while. 

And as you say, rather than following the usual 3-5 day warm spell then breakdown and back to rubbish, it's actually picking up again after the storms. Great Summer really. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 3

Posted

Another very warm to hot week coming up with temperatures nudging to 30c in the south later and the mid 20's in Glasgow some thunderstorms breaking out Thursday and Friday but they are not expected to be as widespread as they were on just gone

• Like 1

Posted

Another very warm to hot week coming up with temperatures nudging to 30c in the south later and the mid 20's in Glasgow some thunderstorms breaking out Thursday and Friday but they are not expected to be as widespread as they were on just gone

Thunderstorms not as widespread, huh? That means we've a better chance of catching one this time around.

Posted

I take it you didn't get one this weekend then?

Nothing here just heard one rumble in the distance !

Posted

That's unlucky... very unlucky!

Ive seen my storm last December on a trip to Australia,spent almost 2 hours with lightening going every minute or more,truely spectacular!

Posted

That's unlucky... very unlucky!

Been the same story for me really. Thursday was epic, virtually the best storm I've ever seen, but aside from that it's been disappointing. That's for me though, many others have had a treat. 

Getting some thunder as I type this but it's not very violent. Seem to either get thunder and no lightning, or lighting and no thunder lol. Want both. 

Posted

Florida is also another great place for thunderstorms, but saying that, the storm in the early hours of Saturday, here in Manchester was enough to rival a Florida storm.

Wasn't that the one you slept through?

I slept through some of it but saw the last 15 minutes because I had left my window open and it woke me. Was a crazy storm. Lightning every 6 or so seconds and a lot of thunder. 

Disappointed it hasn't occurred again. Was a lot of potential today but it missed me for the most part again. 

Posted

You might see something later this week. The forecasts are going for building heat Monday to Wednesday and then a thundery breakdown Thursday to Saturday.

Yeah, that's my next chance. 

Will be interesting to see if the heat builds after the next breakdown. It's looking like it will. 

I reckon we'll be in this warm/hot spell for a long time yet. Just can't see it breaking down. 

• Like 2

Posted

Sunny and warm week ahead with widespread temperatures in the mid twenties and humidity shouldn't be as bad as last week. That is pretty close to perfect summer weather..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Also should we run on similar anomalies (or higher) to what we've had every month of this year for the remainder of the year (ie anomalies warmer than 0.9C), we will record a record warm year.

Just had to stick that in there !

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1