Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 21st April 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

That lot off Belgium looks as though it'll miss us. Flaming typical! I really hope this isn't setting a pattern for rest of Spring/ Summer. I'm going to be seriously peed off if it is. :(

That's been the story since at least 2006/2009 - I've not counted much decent storms.  We have storms but not on the scale we used to get down here. 

It just seems to me that we are going through some sort of phase that doesn't produce the serious storms we used to get.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

While its the wrong thread, I witnessed some cracking storms down here last year, although bizarrely (and unusually), all night time storms. 

By far the most active was 23rd July (early hours) - as the storms initiating I was counting lightning at a frequency of every 3-5 seconds for a 5 - 10 minute spell, then every 5 - 10 seconds thereafter. 

Another year like that would be awesome. 

Alas, that was mid-July after a day with temps into the low 30s, dew points exceeding (iirc) 17C and decent CAPE. Today..... :oops:

Worth noting sferics getting very near to EA at the moment.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

BBC forecast 20c for London this afternoon, it has been gloomy all day here ............12.9c with light rain, not thundery rain! Good old Beeb raising everyone's hopes only for bugger all to happen. :( Reminds me of their snow forecasts in the winter!

Oh do we never learn? Whenever the term Thundery rain is used, how often does it occur that the vast majority only see rain at moderate intensity at worst, but also not hear so much as a rumble? We always seem to hope too much beforehand in these situations that we will get the holy grail....only to be let down for the umpteenth time. It's the hope that's kills you in the end.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Thoroughly dismal day here, nothing but low cloud and outbreaks of rain.... Was hoping for a nice storm or two but have been watching the radar all day and it's the usual scenario of crud while over the low countries it's all kicking off. As someone mentioned earlier I think it's due to front on the approaching LP to the south west making inroads faster than expected.The rainfall on the front is intense and looking at satellite imagery the cloud tops look fairly high, so I'm wondering if the front will interact with warm plume as it pushes in becoming thundery overnight or if all the energy will be pushed off to the east?  :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The reason I think that has happened is all thanks to the low moving in from the West.. As you can see clearly on the sat loop its pushing the cloud bank East! SO now you want any t-storms to fire over the channel or The very North west of France...

I see what you mean ! Today = gutted!!However, we have a fair few months of the best to come yet I believe :) Onwards and upwards.
  • Like 1

Posted

most of the storms occurred in october here during 2013, well 3 in total,  although we got one in july

pathetic really , all this talk of it going to be a good year is laughable, its just doesn't happen any more, expect disappointment many times if you live in NW england,  

Just like those seeking cold in winter, the UK especially NW england again is a borefest for any interesting weather , even the atlantic storms in the winter where just mere twig swayers for the most part here

• Like 1

most of the storms occurred in october here during 2013, well 3 in total,  although we got one in july pathetic really , all this talk of it going to be a good year is laughable, its just doesn't happen any more, expect disappointment many times if you live in NW england,   Just like those seeking cold in winter, the UK especially NW england again is a borefest for any interesting weather , even the atlantic storms in the winter where just mere twig swayers for the most part here

get some nice drizzle though :) !!....
  • Like 1

Posted

Well as pointed out, today was a bust...

Ah well, at least 4 more months of radar watching ahead of us! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Well as pointed out, today was a bust...

Ah well, at least 4 more months of radar watching ahead of us! 

And 4 more months of unrelenting disappointment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Nice little storm appears to have kicked off just off the coast near Cromer. Radar echoes in this area are interesting with some stuff going NNE and the little storm going NNW. There must be a small area of divergence: maybe this sparked this little blighter.

If it keeps on the exact same course, eye of a needle-wise, it will hit me in about 3 hours - oh, and pigs might fly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

most of the storms occurred in october here during 2013, well 3 in total,  although we got one in july

pathetic really , all this talk of it going to be a good year is laughable, its just doesn't happen any more, expect disappointment many times if you live in NW england,  

Just like those seeking cold in winter, the UK especially NW england again is a borefest for any interesting weather , even the atlantic storms in the winter where just mere twig swayers for the most part here

And 4 more months of unrelenting disappointment!

I'm sorry but these two posts really do not help the discussion at all, unless of course you are both exceptional long range forecasters the likes of which the meteorological sector have never seen before?!! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Seems like Convective was right earlier, and I was wrong, bad luck guys, hopefully there will be more chances! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Well what an odd day its been, Turned very dark over the last 10 mins, looks like heavy fog is rolling in!?

Posted

Got the lights on here aswell, another 90 minutes before sundown so something must be brewing in the LLC across the Midlands.

Posted

Thunder and lightening reported in South shields

Hmmm,

that is the band that passed through here a couple of hours ago. Was very wet but not thundery like the rain this morning which was very intense.

Still cold here (8.7°C) and very foggy with a bit of an easterly breeze. Is getting noticeably darker though and there is rain coming up the Humber, however, this doesn't look thundery.

Posted

There are a few showers (storms?) popping up now behind the main band off the coast of Norfolk. These seem to be moving generally NW as is the LH side of the main band. Ahead of this the area of precipitation is increasing but the intensity is remaining the same.

I wonder if this will become interesting? Looking out my window I would say no but......

Posted

Thunder and lightening reported in South shields

Yes,a lonely strike in the NE recently after a wet afternoon.

Posted

Looks like all the energy has been wasted over the N Sea this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If only these storms were a 100 miles to the west! 

The UK has missed out by such a fine line today. A "what could have been" day. Still, we have several months to go now and hopefully we can end up in the firing line at some point.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I always remember May being a massive late April Showers, if we didn't get many in April - we'd get a ton in May. Let's hope as I've known May to be bonkers for storms and medium heat - mid to late 20*C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Oh well, nowt happened again :( but we do have the whole of storm season to go through yet! :biggrin: Sooo let's all be happy and look forward to many more storm opportunities that will arise in the near future  :biggrin:  :) I certainly am lol :winky: