Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Distant thunder rumbling from the Leeds direction here. Just came back from shopping and walking back with my rucksack and a carrier bag full, the big cool drops were gorgeous! Not so great when I had to run for the washing though...

Posted

At night it's more coastal areas.

Still no action this afternoon, here.

I sincerely hope you are wrong Will and that both coastal and in-land areas see some storms later on this evening!  :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

At night it's more coastal areas.

Still no action this afternoon, here.

Id say the opposite tbh.

Unless coastal areas see imports during the night I think inland is better for storms to develop. Durinal heating helps a lot here and being on the coast can almost certainly kill anything "popping up" during the later hours.

Just my 2cents

Edited by Lynxus
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Let's wait and see!  :D

I hope so. Only 1 thunder clap so far today.

Id say the opposite tbh.

Unless coastal areas see imports during the night I think inland is better for storms to develop. Durinal heating helps a lot here and being on the cost can almost certainly kill anything "popping up" during the later hours.

Just my 2cents

Durinal heating at night? Really? Inland does help. But, who knows.

Posted

I hope so. Only 1 thunder clap so far today.

Durinal heating at night? Really? Inland does help. But, who knows.

No. Not at night.. This is why I say coastal areas are bad this time of year. There is zero heat to help convection once the sun is down. This is why inland areas are better suit for the heat island / urban heating to help.

You do however have the fact that there are already intense pulses out at sea. They may be able to handle the transport across the water.

Edited by Lynxus
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

My storm risk has increased to 83%. Can't say I'm 83% confident of an import myself....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very active afternoon. It does seem to me over the last couple I years we have been slowly grabbing back a few of those big storm days of the 90s. Let's hope.Hope that storm at the very NW tip of France comes here too. Even at a distance we may get a nice lightning show over the sea. :)

Edited by Blizzards
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

As we head into the next 48 hours of much promise I feel this video is apt:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

No. Not at night.. This is why I say coastal areas are bad this time of year. There is zero heat to help convection once the sun is down. This is why inland areas are better suit for the heat island / urban heating to help.

You do however have the fact that there are already intense pulses out at sea. They may be able to handle the transport across the water.

Although provided they are upper based storms the sea cooling should have little effect.

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Yeah, imports are good here like last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Worryingly the high res outputs don't show much intense precipitation over my area at all for tonight or tomorrow. I may have to take a long drive out to see something from this.

Posted

Just got home from work had a look at the ATD and I'm in the gap where there have been no storms all I have is overcast sky that doesn't look like its going to do anything still time I guess.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Do or die in the next few hour or so away from the west I would reckon. Convection dropping away here now so odds on a dry night coming up.

Posted

BBC news ( Radio1 ) just mentioned a load of thunder for the west and "especially" the south west for later.

I can only assume they think the band of PPN moving up will intensify.

• Like 1

Posted

I can't believe there are still no Met Office warnings out for parts of Wales. Road conditions must be terrible.

Still no warning! Are you kidding? The instability area seems to be getting closer. I am not sure if Chris R is online but if you look at the radar, you see a shower break out just off Formby.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

BBC news ( Radio1 ) just mentioned a load of thunder for the west and "especially" the south west for later. I can only assume they think the band of PPN moving up will intensify.

You're in a good spot for later. I'd be quite happy to swap locations! :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ok, cloud has fizzled back from my location, but looking directly across fields to the south and south west there are a lot of towers gone up. They look to be in excess of 50 miles away. it is quite a wide angle of scenery to I guess people in Bedfordshire and Buckingham-shire would also see this even though it would be a distance from them to.