Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

feels much more festive with the clocks being on GMT, if we were on BST it wouldn't really be dark till about 5 30, and feb would feel like a spring month with it getting dark at about 6:30pm - 7pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

feels much more festive with the clocks being on GMT, if we were on BST it wouldn't really be dark till about 5 30, and feb would feel like a spring month with it getting dark at about 6:30pm - 7pm

Much better use of daylight though and most Febs feel like spring around here anyway.Could go with the compromise of GMT in winter and double BST in summer.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just bumping this thread to prove the bias of the forum,

If the Days Getting Longer thread was locked , WHY was this equivalent one not ,

Let me Guess

Yea it said there was nothing to discuss but this thread is 41 pages long and is essentially the same thread in reverse...what that all about????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Weve gained 30 mins daylight in an evening. Still not enough yet to make it light when i leave work.

Posted

Yea it said there was nothing to discuss but this thread is 41 pages long and is essentially the same thread in reverse...what that all about????

Yes  plenty to discuss about how Autumn was approaching in the middle of summer, but how dare you discuss spring approaching in the middle of winter and upset winter lovers

Lock this thread !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Six weeks before Xmas and six weeks after is an old adage from around here for the nights and mornings to be dark,,,,And quite true...Posted Image

Posted

Just bumping this thread to prove the bias of the forum,

If the Days Getting Longer thread was locked , WHY was this equivalent one not ,

Let me Guess

So go on then, feel free to discuss it - Reef has even changed the title to be inclusive of all longer/shorter days chat.

Best will in the world, I didn't even know this thread existed, but anyway make it into a conspiracy theory if you like - truth be known I still don't see that there is much to say about the days starting to get a little longer in January (or shorter in July for that matter) - for me it's the equivalent of starting a thread at 6pm saying it's getting darker and a new one at 6am saying it's getting lighter again, but each to their own Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Seems that some members do not like this thread but does the daylight not have a big influence on our weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Slowly but surely the days are now becoming noticeably longer its not getting dark here now till around 16:45 on days when the sky is clear like today back in December it was dark just after 16:00

This coming Saturday (18th) will be exactly 6 weeks since the shortest day

By the 31st the sun won't be setting till 16:43 here which will give us a gain of 51 minutes since January 1st when the sun set at 15:52

Posted

good of you to post a repeat of something from the the thread that was locked Gavin-I suspect we have all noticed this phenomena?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I can confirm that it did get dark here tonight and that when it occurred I am sure that it was a tiny bit later than last night.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, pointless threads both of them in my opinion and not weather related, obviously I understand not everyone is like me and some prefer summer for various reasons, the daylight hours being one, I would have thought that it surely could have been included in a different thread somewhere.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79076-favourite-things-about-the-seasons/#entry2896119

like that one!!!

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

If you think it is a pointless thread the answer is simple - don't read it.

Starting to notice the light creeping back in the morning. To be honest I am starting to look forward to spring, this winter is just frustrating......thinking I may not see a flake of snow at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

If you think it is a pointless thread the answer is simple - don't read it.

But we must remind everyone how pointless it is!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm noticing it here - it isn't quite dark at 5pm. Sunset is about 15 mins later here than in Nottingham (well 45 mins earlier on 'real' time but timezones sort that out) so it does feel the post xmas struggle out of the darkness is lifting that tiny bit quicker. 

Luckily since xmas its been much brighter than in Nov/Dec so feels better but the lack of anything exciting weather wise (8c sunny or 5c cloudy is the norm - little rain, little wind) means I'm boring of this winter now. The longer daylight hours will be much welcomed to allow much more freedom to explore further afield - and of course to allow the ability to do more things after work.

Posted

But we must remind everyone how pointless it is!

Well kind of, but the worst thing about winters at our latitude is the short days and low light levels.I do like the way by February the day length romps away after the crawl at start of January.Incidentally if you look at the BBC five day+ thing it shows sunrise/set times at a place near you.They can be found by other means but I was quite impressed it shows the accurate time for a close by location rather than just a big city.The difference north-south and east-west is more than you would think.This application is rather good and the desktop version is freehttp://photoephemeris.com/It actually allows for local effects such as surrounding high ground, and shows the exact direction of rise and set as well as times - moon too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I think this thread is more about the changing of the seasons and days getting shorter or longer are the first sign that things are about to change..and as always there is a little bit of anticipation of the coming summer or the coming winter as the days lengthen and shorten.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well kind of, but the worst thing about winters at our latitude is the short days and low light levels.I do like the way by February the day length romps away after the crawl at start of January.Incidentally if you look at the BBC five day+ thing it shows sunrise/set times at a place near you.They can be found by other means but I was quite impressed it shows the accurate time for a close by location rather than just a big city.The difference north-south and east-west is more than you would think.This application is rather good and the desktop version is freehttp://photoephemeris.com/It actually allows for local effects such as surrounding high ground, and shows the exact direction of rise and set as well as times - moon too.

You can also find sunrise / set times here: http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/united-kingdom covers most major towns and cities through-out the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

This one is the best site I've come across - got lots of info (solar noon height, rate of daylight increase/decrease) and useful tools (meeting planner very helpful for talking to people around the world):

http://www.timeanddate.com

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

This one is the best site I've come across - got lots of info (solar noon height, rate of daylight increase/decrease) and useful tools (meeting planner very helpful for talking to people around the world):

http://www.timeanddate.com

Use that site all the time (ahhh pun that was not intended there either)