Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well I've only got 2 weeks of nights drawing in as i'm off to sunnier climes in Australia for 3 weeks where am realy not sure what the sunset times are yet.One interesting thing I did notice last time I went was how quickly it went dark ,seemed so much quicker than here.Anyone got any ideas or was it my eyesight being distorted being upside down!

Sunset / rise times for Australia can be found here - http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/australia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

closer you are to the equator the faster the transition from light to dark (something I noticed when I was in SoCal for a while a few times)

Posted

Sunset / rise times for Australia can be found here - http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/australia

Serious waste of daylight in southern Western Australia, and the Brisbane area which has a double whammy effect; it's not only well outside the tropics but also east of the UT+10 meridian. Sunrise 04:49 sunset 18:13 in Brisbane today, that could easily be advanced by 2 hours.

Posted

it's similar in egypt, in the summer sunrise there is at about 5am but sunset is at about 7 00pm, they could move their clocks an hour or two forward, i wonder if they complain about it? probably not as they might be relived when it gets dark after those long hot days

Posted

Serious waste of daylight in southern Western Australia, and the Brisbane area which has a double whammy effect; it's not only well outside the tropics but also east of the UT+10 meridian. Sunrise 04:49 sunset 18:13 in Brisbane today, that could easily be advanced by 2 hours.

The joke is that Queenslanders for some reason worry about the impact that daylight savings could have on their curtains Posted Image

There are some tropical countries in the SW Pacific that use daylight savings. I think Fiji might be one of them, can't remember. It does seem a bit strange, but there you go! 

Posted

it's similar in egypt, in the summer sunrise there is at about 5am but sunset is at about 7 00pm, they could move their clocks an hour or two forward, i wonder if they complain about it? probably not as they might be relived when it gets dark after those long hot days

That thought crossed my mind; the climate having a factor in the distribution of the daylight hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It does seem a bit of a waste down under but they do tend to get up much earlier and start work earlier and go to bed earlier than we do.My sisters husband came over here [he is from Brisbane],they came at midsummer and he couldn't get over it staying light till 11pm and still having a very early sunrise.

Posted

It does seem a bit of a waste down under but they do tend to get up much earlier and start work earlier and go to bed earlier than we do.My sisters husband came over here [he is from Brisbane],they came at midsummer and he couldn't get over it staying light till 11pm and still having a very early sunrise.

He doesn't need to go all the way to England to see what light evenings are; looking at those Australian sunset times, Sydney would do :lol:

Looking into it further, it seems to be something of a sore point in that area, there's even a political party called "Daylight saving for Southeast Queensland"!

Posted

I use to live in Perth, SW Australia. There is not a lot of difference between summer and winter to be honest and I could argue that on a very hot day, one is grateful for the sun to set. Edited by Weather-history

Posted

which is why i hope we never go to double summer time, 7pm will still feel like mid afternoon on a hot day and the sun won't set till after 10pm here in june and july

• Like 1

Best 2 months of the year, Nov and Dec. The long nights, increasingly colder outlook and festivities all add up to make it so atmospheric.

What about January, still a month with long nights slightly more than most of November and temps potentially at their coldest and with the best chance of lying snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Jan isn't popular with most away from weather forums - no money left, Christmas over, still dark, still cold and a long way to go yet till spring. Nov although still dark & often cold does have that Christmas excitement beckoning!

As for daylight in hotter countries - they probably don't want later sunsets as in those places it's the middle of the day you avoid due to the strength and heat of the sun. The evenings are the best time with pleasant warm temperatures. 

In the UK away from those few days a year (if you're lucky) when we get hot weather then evenings rapidly turn chilly so there's more of a benefit to later sunsets - the beer garden might be enjoyed after work instead of only on weekends...

which is why i hope we never go to double summer time, 7pm will still feel like mid afternoon on a hot day and the sun won't set till after 10pm here in june and july

Even on the hottest days the heat in the sun is rapidly going by 6pm so I for one would enjoy that shifting to 7pm - more of a chance to enjoy the warmth after work. Although ideally office hours should change to 0730-1600 instead of 0830-1700 but can't see that happening...

Posted

If you think Perth has stupid sunrise/sunset times, try living in the east of Western Australia (WA is vast). I spent a few months in Kununurra, a small town in the far NE corner of the state close to the Northern Territory border, and in early March (which is like early September in the northern hemisphere) it was getting dark at 5:30pm but the sun would be up by 5:30am. Working outdoors (like on a farm or a construction site) you had to start by 6am, because the sun would reach its zenith by 11am. I went there from Darwin where it wasn't getting dark until after 7pm.

In fact, looking at that link Gavin posted check out Tuesday's sunrise/sunset times to see where I'm coming from:

Darwin =  6:10/18:50

Kununurra = 4:44/17:33

Maybe Kununurra should adopt NT time, which is one and half hours ahead of WA. Or better yet, join the NT. Ultimately WA is very Perthcentric (it was weird seeing loads of news and adverts for a city 2000 miles away).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

With these long nights my attention draws to images like this Posted Image Posted Image if only our climate was like this all year round. Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

If you think Perth has stupid sunrise/sunset times, try living in the east of Western Australia (WA is vast). I spent a few months in Kununurra, a small town in the far NE corner of the state close to the Northern Territory border, and in early March (which is like early September in the northern hemisphere) it was getting dark at 5:30pm but the sun would be up by 5:30am. Working outdoors (like on a farm or a construction site) you had to start by 6am, because the sun would reach its zenith by 11am. I went there from Darwin where it wasn't getting dark until after 7pm.

In fact, looking at that link Gavin posted check out Tuesday's sunrise/sunset times to see where I'm coming from:

Darwin =  6:10/18:50

Kununurra = 4:44/17:33

Maybe Kununurra should adopt NT time, which is one and half hours ahead of WA. Or better yet, join the NT. Ultimately WA is very Perthcentric (it was weird seeing loads of news and adverts for a city 2000 miles away).

Just checked out that place Kununurra; longitude 129 east- should be on UTC+9; +9:30 which is NT time would work fine as well. Would be 6:14 and 19:03 on that which sounds about right for 15S this time of year: on Perth time (+8) sunset is earlier right now than some places north of the equator.

In Australia it seems that the need to coincide time zone boundaries with state ones, and give each state one zone, has taken precedence over ensuring sensible daylight hours. Really it's wide enough to have 4 or 5 separate zones, standard time should probably be UTC+11 around that bulge between Brisbane and Sydney.

Posted

With these long nights my attention draws to images like this Posted Image Posted Image if only our climate was like this all year round. Posted Image

Posted Image

thank god it isn't like that all year round, although i do like warm sunny weather, i wonder what weather fans in southern spain talk about on a weather forum? do they excited if it gets down to 12c in winter with a bit of rain, i bet they get hysterical if they got a frost 

​it's still around the low to mid twenties in sevilla and malaga right now, very pleasant 

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Our climate is never like that - that's a tropical island. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Our climate is never like that - that's a tropical island. 

Lol I know never said it "was like that" it was just wishful thinking on my part hence why I said "if only" lol I can dream though eh! Posted Image

Posted

thank god it isn't like that all year round, although i do like warm sunny weather, i wonder what weather fans in southern spain talk about on a weather forum? do they excited if it gets down to 12c in winter with a bit of rain, i bet they get hysterical if they got a frost 

​it's still around the low to mid twenties in sevilla and malaga right now, very pleasant 

Don't let them hear what you say, they may get angry.... I know that very well. However, the weather down there is not so "simple" either

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Exactly 3 weeks now till the sun will be setting at its earliest, its flown by this year since the clocks went back an hour and now were 21 days away from the sun setting at its earliest then we start the process of gaining extra daylight

Of course the mornings will still be seeing the sun rise later for another few weeks after this

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

it's just 4 months till the clocks go forward and 6 and a bit months till summer starts, and it's just 9 and a bit months till next autumn starts and just 12 and a bit months till next winter starts yippee

Edited by Tony27

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I believe we have hit our earliest sunset.....lighter nights....great

• Like 1

Posted

I believe we have hit our earliest sunset.....lighter nights....great

Yes the sun is now setting at its earliest in the UK including here in Darlo where it sets at 15:41 it will set 1 minute later next Friday (20th) and then the process of getting the lighter nights back in gets underway with us gaining around 1 hour per afternoon / evening each month till June 21st

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yes the sun is now setting at its earliest in the UK including here in Darlo where it sets at 15:41 it will set 1 minute later next Friday (20th) and then the process of getting the lighter nights back in gets underway with us gaining around 1 hour per afternoon / evening each month till June 21st

Posted Image

Any crumb of comfort will do, eh?