Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

Yes that is useful.If you choose two nearby towns (e.g. I looked at Guisborough and Whitby, about 20 miles apart) there are differences of a couple of minutes - which really quite surprised me.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Almost gained an hour of daylight in the evening. Sunset here is 16:33.

• Like 1

Posted

Well kind of, but the worst thing about winters at our latitude is the short days and low light levels.I do like the way by February the day length romps away after the crawl at start of January.Incidentally if you look at the BBC five day+ thing it shows sunrise/set times at a place near you.They can be found by other means but I was quite impressed it shows the accurate time for a close by location rather than just a big city.The difference north-south and east-west is more than you would think.This application is rather good and the desktop version is freehttp://photoephemeris.com/It actually allows for local effects such as surrounding high ground, and shows the exact direction of rise and set as well as times - moon too.

This looks like a great tool. Will certainly take the guesswork out of working out where the sun rises and sets. Missed some great photo ops around here because of these damn mountains or their shadow getting in the way!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Quite noticeable now is the later sunset, not up early enough to notice the sunrise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Quite noticeable now is the later sunset, not up early enough to notice the sunrise.

i get up at 5.25am every morning i wont see the sunrise until mid May...but definitely noticing the lengthening daylight now in the eveningPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

i get up at 5.25am every morning i wont see the sunrise until mid May...but definitely noticing the lengthening daylight now in the eveningPosted Image

Last spring i had so little to do that i often stayed up until sunrise. While chilly one of the great things was that it was quite sunny in April and May so i saw lovely sunrises.

Posted

Similar here, I get up on day shifts at 4.45am, so only get around 4-6 weeks a year when it is 'light'. If we ever went to BST+1 then it would be most annoying, especially with light until 22:35.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well the extra daylight is really noticeable in the evenings when it's not chucking it down with rain and when the skys r clear. Well i can't waight till this extended autumn is over and we head into spring i've just about had enough of this crappy winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The lengthening period of daylight becoming more and more evident. Not dark at 5PM now.

It became especially noticeable a few days ago when it was sunny. With all the cloud we have had recently day and night have basically been two different shades of dark!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The lengthening period of daylight becoming more and more evident. Not dark at 5PM now.

Yes becoming more and more noticeable now especially on those rare afternoons when we have blue sky and sunshine sunset here in Darlo today was 16:55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Could see a faint twilight glow to the west at 6.30pm.

Pretty light that way at 7.00

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Arriving home from work in the daylight will be a welcome milestone. I say i should be able to experience that in a couple of weeks time. The rate of lenghening dayligh hours is gathering pace.

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely love the days getting longer!

I don't understand why people on here have to bash eachother for different seasonal preferences though, we're all different and that's what makes us human.

I for one suffer from SAD, definitely. In the summer I am much more active, feel happier and more energetic and once I notice the nights starting to close back in, I immediately begin an emotional, downward-spiral back into depression.

I do however enjoy Autumn and Winter up until New years eve. I like Christmas and the winter festivities and can't imagine ever spending them in a warm climate, but by the time Jan 1st rolls around I am absolutely sick of the dark and cold.

I have noticed in the last couple of weeks the angle of the sunlight subtley changing (when it hasn't been absolutely jaffa cakesing down with rain) and in those brief moments, i've felt an absolute wave of happiness come over me. I literally yearn for Spring and Summer at this time of year and can't wait for that first "springlike" day when it gets to around 15 degrees with no cold wind and hazy sunshine.

Admitedly, at times last summer it was difficult to sleep, but that really doesn't bother me too much as even with little sleep I still feel twice as energetic as I do in mid-winter. I remember walking home from a friend's house drunk at about 2am last summer and it was so warm and still, it felt like being abroad on holiday. It was magical. It reminded me of being young and camping out or getting drunk in the park all night long (i'm 28 so it wasnt THAT long ago:p).

Having said that, in September sort of time, I again notice the subtle change in angle of the light and I do get excited about the onset of winter and Christmas and particularly the first snowfall of the season - this winter has been remarkable to me as it is the first I can recall without seeing a single snowflake.

All said and done, I think I would put up with whatever winter decided to throw at us as long as I was guaranteed a nice summer and as we all know living here, thats very rarely the case. The driving wind and rain over the last four months has really done my head in.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm exactly the same Azazel - Feb can feel like a massive release as the vice like grip of insufficient daylight begins to loosen.

I'm noticing the sun being getting much higher in the sky now and it not being totally dark at 6pm when I finish work. The sunny/dry weather over here has made that even more noticable.

Spring approaches!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I have to admit I am looking forward to a little warmth and light now.

Yesterday was lovely and the sunshine is starting to have a little power behind it, warming up the back of my house.

This winter has been truly horrific and I for one (even as a cold and snow fan) cannot wait to see the back of it.

20c and sunny just sounds lovely! :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Loving the commutes home in daylight now! Ah it just gives you a sense that summer is just around the corner almost!! Bring it on and those barbecues too :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

17:20 here in Darlington and we still have daylight just over 5 weeks and the clocks will be going forward!

Posted Image

Clocks go forward in 2 weeks here Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Already looking forward to next winter. Hope this Spring and Summer are cool ones. :)

Posted

The lightening evenings are already starting to depress me. 'Only' 17 weeks 'til the days start getting shorter.....

and only about 8 months till it is getting dark at about 6pm again