Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Heres one for discussion.

How did this net get up there? Near Godalming Surrey

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifnet.png

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10258754_656944077731475_3485787056602561726_n.jpg

Funnel cloud spotted near Egham, Surrey.

• Like 2

Posted

Whaat ok the Egham storm/weather shield must just follow me and not be specific to Egham, (or just turn off when I'm not there, I'm going to be there tomorrow typically)

Interesting video, and association with that rapid updraught, although if the funnel was near Egham it may well have been a different one as it's a fair way north of Godalming

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Maybe not, but it isn't always bad, I have missed more storms and better storms at home while at uni, than I have got to see there, and that's in the SE a supposedly more prone spot. Also we have the sea and hills providing good views to watch storms or overnight imports (like the ones I missed recently). Have seen great night-time storms with lightning every few seconds a few times. :) Though yes we do get less action than the eastern areas you mention, at least with stronger day time storms. .

Id expect Devon to do best with as you say imports and more of the elevated stuff rather than decent SB storms. We do see some night stuff also as well around here too on top of the daytime stuff. Take 31st august 2005 when it was almost continuous sferics for a couple of hours at 9-10PM. Most recent being July 23rd last year too when the night storm we had lasted for a staggering 10 hours!!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Really belting it outside, looks nasty on rain radar :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

best of luck with your move , at the beginning of a 5 year plan , buy house in the south of france sell my business and whats left of the farm and leave forever !!!.....

See my post in the "serious discussions" forum. And don't wait five years to put things in motion - find a place you love and put in an offer. Sales move, rightly, slowly in France. And remember you won't make a profit on your purchase for years (look it up!!!) You buy a home, not an investment - and so it should be...

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

Warmth and some storms look like going hand in hand down there, into the foreseeable, enjoy :)

I will enjoy and will report...time for bed and dreams of storms...bon nuit...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

What a waste of a storm day.

Went to london and there was probably more thunder in the Arctic.

So I leave godalming for a few hours and a net gets sucked up into the sky - but seriously so what? France got amazing storms and none of us did if we are honest.

Some may say bitter - but I say brutally honest.

Posted

At least you had a chance! Try living here where we've had 72 hours of cloud, occasional rain & temps of about 13c!

Posted

If you don't like it... Move to France!  :p

In the end, there are much more important things in life than a bit of Thunder and Lightning, so don't let it bring you down!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I'm not surprised a funnel cloud was spotted, I saw rotation today directly above me..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203069884801525 (I put it into my signature, worth it I reckon)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Well at least you haven't been pumped up with excitement over 'thunderstorms' when even 'thundery-rain' isn't a likely possibility.

Just naff. I have better things to do than chase imaginary one-strike storms. The one we had last month made me realise it's proper-storm or nothing - so yes these false forecasts are annoying.

Sorry to any forecasters out there I'm not angry at you - in fact not angry at anyone - just frustrated with exciting looking but ultimately weak-willed clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

If you don't like it... Move to France!  :p

In the end, there are much more important things in life than a bit of Thunder and Lightning, so don't let it bring you down!

Yeah, like SNOW! :laugh:

Posted

BOOOM!! We have a thunderstorm :D

And hail :D

• Like 3

Posted

So, we don't have to suffer a moan about forecasts for at least 24 hours now you've got a storm? :D

I was going to say that the met said the showers would largely die away... Not intensify by the early hours with lightning and rivers ;)

But then I couldn't be bothered :p

Posted

Is that the net! Wow, looks massive!! Is it a trawlers net, or more of a plant covering net do you think? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I am going to France this Summer from around the middle of July till near the start of August. I am more or less travelling down W France sometimes a few hundred miles in land. Is La Rochelle a good place or around there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I am going to France this Summer from around the middle of July till near the start of August. I am more or less travelling down W France sometimes a few hundred miles in land. Is La Rochelle a good place or around there?

I went there last week! Didn't see a sausage. But the southern coastal regions of France got storms everyday. You never know though. I'd say your chances are much greater than seeing one here.Bordeaux area would be best towards the W Pyrenees. Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

I went there last week! Didn't see a sausage. But the southern coastal regions of France got storms everyday. You never know though. I'd say your chances are much greater than seeing one here.Bordeaux area would be best towards the W Pyrenees.

Yeah most of the time I'll be in the N regions of France which is typical. I have known it to be as you say much better down there than here if the conditions are right. However, I don't think we'll be going that far S into Bordeaux.

Posted

I went there last week! Didn't see a sausage. But the southern coastal regions of France got storms everyday. You never know though. I'd say your chances are much greater than seeing one here.Bordeaux area would be best towards the W Pyrenees.

Yeah most of the time I'll be in the N regions of France which is typical. I have known it to be as you say much better down there than here if the conditions are right. However, I don't think we'll be going that far S into Bordeaux.

Don't discount Northern France for storms - remember where the southern UK's imports come from. I've had some awesome storms while in Normandie and a couple of years back a colleague had his car badly damaged by hens egg sized hail - Paris is stunning for storms too (there were some dingers there that I got to see back in February and March when the UK was having it's wild spring)!

Prime storm areas are indeed the Pyrenees and areas in and around the massif centrale - (Auvergne, PACA) and yes because it's a Mediterranean climate, the south does get a bit more of a share of the fireworks. Having said the Aquitaine region is no stranger to violent weather - both winter storms (December 1999 was a classic) and thunderstorms which the wine growers of the Bordeaux area dread as the hail causes tremendous damage to the grape crops at this time of year.

If you're camping, while they're very exciting at first, heavy and/or persistent storms can be a real pain. We've had to evacuate a campsite that was flooding, and we've had a few times when we needed to go and sit in the car during the worst of the lightning on very exposed sites. Even in a hotel or gite the electricity often goes off when it gets bad in rural areas. The intensity is much greater than anything that we tend to get in the UK and you have to respect that. Having said that - there's nothing nicer than a night time storm to watch...

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted

Don't discount Northern France for storms - remember where the southern UK's imports come from. I've had some awesome storms while in Normandie and a couple of years back a colleague had his car badly damaged by hens egg sized hail - Paris is stunning for storms too (there were some dingers there that I got to see back in February and March when the UK was having it's wild spring)!

Prime storm areas are indeed the Pyrenees and areas in and around the massif centrale - (Auvergne, PACA) and yes because it's a Mediterranean climate, the south does get a bit more of a share of the fireworks. Having said the Aquitaine region is no stranger to violent weather - both winter storms (December 1999 was a classic) and thunderstorms which the wine growers of the Bordeaux area dread as the hail causes tremendous damage to the grape crops at this time of year.

If you're camping, while they're very exciting at first, heavy and/or persistent storms can be a real pain. We've had to evacuate a campsite that was flooding, and we've had a few times when we needed to go and sit in the car during the worst of the lightning on very exposed sites. Even in a hotel or gite the electricity often goes off when it gets bad in rural areas. The intensity is much greater than anything that we tend to get in the UK and you have to respect that. Having said that - there's nothing nicer than a night time storm to watch...

Thanks for the information, Spikecollie. I'm not camping luckily but it sounds like I could get some interesting weather while I'm over there. Let's just hope it's a very slack SE flow of the land with high instability but that is just a wish.