Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted

but the possibility of seeing anything is low due to the showers being of convective nature and not associated as a trough or front.

Except for the trough and front - and I'm not sure there is such a thing as a non-convective shower really

Posted

For gods sake I've had absolutely nothing this year :( some distant thunder and flashes but nothing within 30 km...

i know your pain not been a good storm for us in sussex this year yet. i did manage to get my storm fix though whilst out in Mallorcha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Except for the trough and front - and I'm not sure there is such a thing as a non-convective shower really

There is. Have you ever seen a shower come from miles and reach you. It certainly happens here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I wish I had videoed that event. All you could see was Huge Dark CB's encroaching from the South with amazing lightning. I remember rapidly developing intense cells forming ahead of the main lot though, one of these directly overhead knocked my sky tv out at around 9PM and the rain that followed straight after was simply incredible. THEN, the main event came, that Huge MCS that must have covered an area the size of the whole of East Anglia trundling directly N. Lightning lasted pretty much all night until 3AM and did not weaken at all (which i remember actually Peter Gibbo mentioning it would do as it moved North!) The lightning that was produced that night involved anvil crawlers, some of which became CG's! endless spectacular C-C and C-G lightning and constant booming basey thunder, which was still heard banging away into Yorkshire etc. 

That along with 31st August 2005 were the last ''PROPER'' events (23rd July last year being the exception). Feel so sorry for kids these days not being able to see the stuff we did as kids/teenagers!!

Nevertheless, we do at least have some potential coming up :)

Do you know, I don't remember that at all - it can't have affected Norfolk otherwise I'd definitely remember - maybe it was memorable for the usual manky cloud cover the following morning :) Anyway I had a proper thorm on Monday indeed yes with thunder n' lightning and stuff - even got into double figures with the thunder (gosh wow) so that's my quota for the year haha.

Posted

There is. Have you ever seen a shower come from miles and reach you. It certainly happens here.

what on earth is a non convective shower please William. By definition a shower falls from convective cloud?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

typical turn 39 today and how do I intend to spend it

probably worrying about potential thundery showers for tomorrow

never know I might be lucky

• Like 1

Posted

It's still the result of convection, though, William.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

typical turn 39 today and how do I intend to spend it

probably worrying about potential thundery showers for tomorrow

never know I might be lucky

I don't envy you Gordon, anything that brings high anxiety must be debilitating......I guess the crumb of comfort to is due to the localized nature of thunderstorms, 10 miles down the road from you gets a storm whilst you remain dry and storm free  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

It's still the result of convection, though, William.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precipitation_types

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

typical turn 39 today and how do I intend to spend it probably worrying about potential thundery showers for tomorrow never know I might be lucky

If they affect you as much anxiety wise as appears to be the case here, might I suggest that you sit in your car while any storms are going on should you be at home. No safer place to be than in your car unless someone can put me right here on this.

Posted

Dictionary definition of a shower, from Storm Dunlop's Oxford Dictionary of Weather:

"In meteorology, liquid or solid precipitation from convective clouds (cumulonimbus or cumulus congestus) as distinct from stratiform clouds (nimbostratus, stratus). Showers generally consist of groups of cumulonimbus cells. They are usually of relatively short duration and may show rapid changes in intensity."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

The metoffice have just issued a weather warning for the southern half of the country. Heavy thundery rain. What's the potential for my area? Love a good storm lol

Posted

Main storm risk zone for tomorrow afternoon.

post-1766-0-11614800-1403775689_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Dictionary definition of a shower, from Storm Dunlop's Oxford Dictionary of Weather: "In meteorology, liquid or solid precipitation from convective clouds (cumulonimbus or cumulus congestus) as distinct from stratiform clouds (nimbostratus, stratus). Showers generally consist of groups of cumulonimbus cells. They are usually of relatively short duration and may show rapid changes in intensity."

So can we have rain without convection?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yep looked at Met0 this morning and now  they have issued a yellow warning for heavy showers and  :db: Thunderstorms :db: for my area for Friday and Saturday.

Posted ImageStorm Risk Friday.jpg

:yahoo:

Here we go again folks! Good luck to all over the next few days.

Happy Birthday Gordon, Hope you are storm free to celebrate.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

So can we have rain without convection?

Yes, but it would be dynamic rainfall from a weather system as opposed to a shower...i think. Showers are always convective though.
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted ImageStorm Risk Friday.jpg

typical me smack bang in the middle so to speak

then again they are expected to align into bands so it wont be thundering all the time so here's hoping

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm not expecting anything here, not much in the way of rain either. The tstorm potential stays clear of here once again, great for those in the Midlands *cough* again *cough* :laugh:

post-15177-0-96233200-1403779822_thumb.p

Posted

I'm just going to wait and see

sometimes these forecasts do not go as expected and even if they do the midlands is a pretty big place

Off now to celebrate birthday

I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow

take care everyone

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning for thundery showers from the met office for tomorrow and Saturday for the south

Issued at: 1022 on Thu 26 Jun 2014

Valid from: 0400 on Fri 27 Jun 2014

Valid to: 2100 on Sat 28 Jun 2014

Showers will become heavy and thundery across southwestern parts of England and Wales early on Friday, moving northeast to affect other areas south of The Wash to North Wales during the day. Some reduction in activity is expected overnight, before further slow moving heavy and thundery downpours develop during Saturday, easing from the north later. The public should be aware that the resulting downpours may lead to localised flooding and potential disruption to transport and outdoor events.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A slack area of low pressure is expected to extend eastwards across southern UK on Friday and Saturday, bringing with it moist and deeply unstable air. Daytime heating will assist the development of heavy showers and thunderstorms. These are likely to become slow-moving and organised into bands giving some places 15-20 mm of rain in an hour or less and perhaps 40 mm in 2 or 3 hours. Hail and lightning will be additional hazards. As with the nature of showers, some places will escape the heavier ones.

Areas under the warning

Wales

West Midlands

East Midlands

East of England

South West England

London & South East England

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1403823600

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Some interesting clouds last evening as the fronts approach

Posted Image

I wonder what cloud this is. Some type of altocumulus, twas pretty anyway

Posted Image

Looking at my little weather book, it does indeed look like a blanket of Altocumulus Stratiformis

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

The metoffice have just issued a weather warning for the southern half of the country. Heavy thundery rain. What's the potential for my area? Love a good storm lol

Well that has screwed it up for everyone now. Expect overcast skies and relentless drizzle tomorrow folks....  :wallbash: