Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 31/10/2014 and Beyond

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

UKMO @ +144 looks better to me. Our low seems to be slipping off the SE?

UN144-21.GIF?10-17

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

i get June 2014 when i check UKMO on meteociel, any ideas?

It's June up to T96 then the current run thereafter.

• Like 1

Posted

A lot of warm air making it's way in to Europe on both the GFS and UKMO.

Rtavn1742.gif

The cold air well anchored north of Svalbard.

That may well be, but for me it's all about getting the heights in the right places now, hopefully the cold uppers will follow.

• Like 1

Posted

A lot of warm air making it's way in to Europe on both the GFS and UKMO.

Rtavn1742.gif

The cold air well anchored north of Svalbard.

Hopefully short term pain, for longer term gain. The warmer air pushing North feeds the WAA, hopefully when it comes down on the CAA, we will be on the cold side of the block. Need to see more heights into Greenland.

• Like 2

Posted

GFS (P) certainly an improvement on the 06z

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

The best evening output so far is probably the GFS (p)

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

UKMO isn't great IMO and GFS 12 op is pretty poor but all only relevant to the prospects of any early cold shot

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

UKMO @ +144 looks better to me. Our low seems to be slipping off the SE?

UN144-21.GIF?10-17

Dare I say it, but I think the timeframe as per above of say 15th November through to at least the early part of the following week is almost NAILED ON (75%-80% probability at least) now for an Easterly flow of sorts. I for one will be interested to see how things develop into the final ten days of November and right now I wouldn't even think about taking the synoptic patterns as shown in the various suites as a done deal at that kind of range. Having said that, I remain hopeful for fascinating second half of November as long as the PV and the NH Jet play ball.

I've been reviewing the GFS 12z's in recent days alongside the other models of course and the trend is most definitely there for a finite change in surface synoptics, come next weekend. Today's 12z is still very encouraging if you ask me. Picking up on the specific details is rather fruitless at the moment and if I were pick holes in everything, I would like to see the t850s cooler than forecast. I still want to see the UKMO 6-15 dayer reflect these differences though as they currently don't look that inspiring.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted

??

Suggest you go to learning page and read up on the Polar Vortex. You certainly cannot get an idea of where it;s at from that view. The Northern Hemisphere view shows a different story.

I said it started at that time frame.......

By this time frame heights are lowing across the pole

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014111012/gfsnh-0-180.png?12?12

By the end we end up with MLB with a high close to the UK to allow a continental feed which gradually lowers temps........

Edited by phil nw.
removed impolite comment.
  • Like 3

Posted

GFS op brings in the Canada vortex into play and completely ruins the block. This is a lot more delayed in the GFS Para with some good heights in the West Atlantic/East Canada

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rpgfs1681.gif

Though unfortunately the vortex is seen again just 24 hours later, having completely displaced that high

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rpgfs1921.gif

I think the parallel is being too progressive in bringing in that canadian vortex lobe there, no way can such a change happen in less than a day

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted

Dare I say it, but I think the timeframe as per above of say 15th November through to at least the early part of the following week is almost NAILED ON (75%-80% probability at least) now for an Easterly flow of sorts. I for one will be interested to see how things develop into the final ten days of November and right now I wouldn't even think about taking the synoptic patterns as shown in the various suites as a done deal at that kind of range. Having said that, I remain hopeful for fascinating second half of November as long as the PV and the NH Jet play ball.

I've been reviewing the GFS 12z's in recent days alongside the other models of course and the trend is most definitely there for a finite change in surface synoptics, come next weekend. Today's 12z is still very encouraging if you ask me. Picking up on the specific details is rather fruitless at the moment and if I were pick holes in everything, I would like to see the t850s cooler than forecast. I still want to see the UKMO 6-15 dayer reflect these differences though as they currently don't look that inspiring.

Hi gtltw

I'm not concerned at all by the lack of uppers, I have a lot of confidence in this winter season being completely different to last year, following the Strat forum, Eurasia snow cover, state of the PV etc. the fact we are showing these charts now, in November is extremely encouraging. Even if they weren't as they are, I still wouldn't be that concerned.

It's all good!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

We're already at the stage where the foundations have been laid for conditions 4-5 weeks from now. In all honesty a reflex action back to a more neutral or +AO was near enough a certainty as we head towards the back end of November- no issues there from me. It's what happens during December that interests me as the first response to this initial stratospheric feedback loop will most likely dictate the tone of the heart of our winter. By the middle of December we'll probably have an inkling of whether we'll reach our desired destination or whether the long range models will be vindicated. Whatever happens, model watching will be a compulsion as the meteorological winter approaches.

Thanks for your insight CC, given the current outputs are we heading for +AO or even a neutral one though? I didn't think we were. Personally I actually favour a front loaded winter with an early spell of entrenched cold weather. Like I said though, I admire your input and yes, the stratosphere workings (not that I understand them fully) are where it's at for the longer range predictions. Actually, this type of discussion should truly be in another thread.

Posted

I said it started at that time frame.......

By this time frame heights are lowing across the pole

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014111012/gfsnh-0-180.png?12?12

By the end we end up with MLB with a high close to the UK to allow a continental feed which gradually lowers temps........

Then post a chart which shows what you mean, not what doesn't. Didn't mean to be patronising. I read your post, and saw a chart which didn't make sense to what you said.

Edited by phil nw.
removed personal comments
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi gtltw

I'm not concerned at all by the lack of uppers, I have a lot of confidence in this winter season being completely different to last year, following the Strat forum, Eurasia snow cover, state of the PV etc. the fact we are showing these charts now, in November is extremely encouraging. Even if they weren't as they are, I still wouldn't be that concerned.

It's all good!

Agreed, my reference to the t850s was simply trying to temper any expectations of huge snowdrifts and the like.  :nea:  :cold: Still plenty of interest though and synoptically, or historically shall we say, any Easterly at this time of season would be a rare event too but it is looking likely if a rather tame beast. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Thanks for your insight CC, given the current outputs are we heading for +AO or even a neutral one though? Personally I actually favour a front loaded winter with an early spell of entrenched cold weather. Like I said though, I admire your input and yes, the stratosphere workings (not that I understand them fully) are where it's at for the longer range predictions. Anyway, this discussion is really for another thread.

Tamara's post earlier pretty much outlines exactly where we'll head in NWP terms within the next week plus. A lessening of the -AO is almost a certainty IMO and this is based on what we've seen historically and hints within the extended ensemble suites. It's nothing to be particularly worried about however. The current N hemispheric set up has lit the torch paper so to speak. All that is required now is a bit of patience and to sit back over the next month and watch it unfold.

• Like 5

Posted

MODEL OUTPUT DISCUSSION please, no further quarrelling guys n gals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I know Fergie brought up the rainfall potential yesterday but although SW will get a soaking over the next 24/48h I think later in the week is where we may see some more widespread problems with potential flooding - Friday looks like being a dismal day, particularly in the West.

The reason I suggest that is because the ground will already be soaked in many areas and the trough to our SW will be come reinvigorated with a shot of cold air.

gfs-6-90.png?12

This may well lead to more prolonged,widespread and heavy rainfall than that we have over the next 24/48h

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Nice Spanish plume from GFS 12z :clap:

Rtavn2642.gif

By jingo those uppers are warm and if the sun comes out the surface should be as well - shorts again!

• Like 2