Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I think I'll hang fire with the excitement, it's a rarity for snow to hit us here in Newcastle in a westerly regime as I've said many times before.

The Northerly Sunday onwards probably represents my best chance of snow so far this winter, particularly if there are any troughs or the wind veers NEl'y for any length of time.

We shall see ...

Posted

I think I'll hang fire with the excitement, it's a rarity for snow to hit us here in Newcastle in a westerly regime as I've said many times before.

The Northerly Sunday onwards probably represents my best chance of snow so far this winter, particularly if there are any troughs or the wind veers NEl'y for any length of time.

We shall see ...

Might be rare but I imagine the showers hitting Western areas tomorrow will be quite large clumps so I wouldnt be surprised if even here we see a few showers, as ever, some areas will do better and it be down to radar watching. 

Got to say, the showers from the West excite me the most by far, for a Northerly, its not a particularly potent one and I know that is down to various reasons with mild sectors but I just looked at BBC weather and you got to say it was a very underwhelming forecast to say the very least. 

Its kind of sums up the whole winter for me, so near yet so far, the coldest of the air will occur when the winds are more NNW'ly which means snowfall will be virtually non existent. Now of course there is still time for things to change in terms of detail but the trend is for the isobars to back more NNW'ly when the coldest of the air arrives. 

Posted

The first front was extremely squally, with sudden gusts of 45mph - second one not through yet but temperature is already dropping.
Trivial amounts of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If snow is going to stick here in Darlington the ground is going to have to dry out very quickly or the snow will have to be have and quite prolonged because at the moment the ground is sodden

temp on the way down currently 4.8c

Posted

The second front seems poorly defined and rain band has fragmented to nothing here, I think it has gone through as it's brightening up and 4.7C

Posted

Level 3 cold weather alert issued

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 0818 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 1200 on Wednesday and 1200 on Tuesday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

A cold front will clear southeastwards during Wednesday introducing cold conditions across England for the next few days. Snow showers will affect most areas at times through the rest of this week and over the weekend with locally significant accumulations in places, particularly for hilly areas in the north. Showers and overnight frosts also bring the risk of icy stretches forming on untreated surfaces. Strong winds will accentuate the cold feel at times although it is likely to prevent any extremely low overnight minimum temperatures. At this stage the cold weather looks like it will persist until at least the early part of next week.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted

IF the current charts verify I think we will see plenty of snow as time goes on, more east of north early next week which just about guarantee's snow but I wouldn't rule out a covering before then!

Posted

Showers look a lot more aggresive than your usual NW flow on the radar and there's plenty of them. They are being zipped along by the strong wind meaning they aren't fizzling out as quickly as usual. BBC has heavy snow starting from 16:00 until early hours. Let's see how this pans out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

For the first time in about 4 years I am getting a little excited.  For once (compared to other NW'lys) the showers seem to pep up a lot and due to the wind speed are hurrying themselves over us here in the NE - I am hopeful of at least a covering (staying in Chester-leStreet)

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

temp at 6am was 6.9c its currently 3.8c and falling very wet outside so any falling snow will not stick here mindue if we have a very heavy shower it may do, i think overnight will bring a good covering by the morning, fingers crossed

Posted

Amber snow warning issued for Durham and Northumberland

Issued at: 1047 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1700 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1100 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

Snow showers will become widespread and heavier across Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England during Wednesday evening and will continue through the night into Thursday morning. Snow amounts will be very variable but over 5 cm will accumulate at lower levels in places with over 15 cm on high ground. Strong and gusty winds will lead to drifting and blizzard conditions at times, especially over higher routes. The public should be prepared for travel disruption and hazardous driving conditions.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A colder airstream with sleet and snow showers affecting northern and western parts will continue to spread southeast on Wednesday. These snow showers will be heavy and frequent across parts of Northern Ireland, Scotland and northern England. Although accumulations will vary, 5 cm or more is likely to accumulate at lower levels perhaps falling in a short period of time. Over higher ground and some of the higher transport routes 15 cm or more is possible. Strong west to northwesterly winds will also lead to drifting and temporary blizzard conditions especially over high ground. The showers will become a little less frequent during Thursday morning

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422489600

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snow right down to low levels so early. Snowing 'quite' moderately but looks worse than it is in this very strong wind.

Posted

snow stopped now, hope that snow shower was a sign of things to come later tonight, it did not lie but was almost a white out for a good 10 minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

hello all, Snow starting to lie here up on the hill in Gateshead, but I often go through the snow line as I go into the valley.  The sleet started at 10am.  Now its proper snow.

Posted

Snow right down to low levels so early. Snowing 'quite' moderately but looks worse than it is in this very strong wind.

Didn't expect it this early at all, the sun is back out now really want it to dry up so that later showers have the chance to stick, its still very wet off earlier