Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

The good news short term is that the cold air comes back much quicker on the 12Z GFS, pretty much non-marginal by 9am tomorrowh850t850eu.png

Does this mean there is bad news long term ???? :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

The good news short term is that the cold air comes back much quicker on the 12Z GFS, pretty much non-marginal by 9am tomorrow:h850t850eu.png

Possible snow getting into the Lothians and Borders tomorrow evening but more widely the risk on Monday night is increased on this run from this 'wave' feature (note the -10C uppers hanging around as well by this time, and these are there through Sunday too):

h850t850eu.pngprectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

precip totals amounting to 2-3 inches quite widely over 6 hours. Subject to change of course, but that's a very promising run.

Right....that's it....

I'm booking time off Tuesday Morning....AND I'm wrapping DR(S)NO Junior in bubble wrap...if that Snowman Build ever comes to pass.....

Rest assured you'll see it here first⛄ï¸

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Does this mean there is bad news long term ???? :)

We're all gonna die some day...  It's just a matter of whether we die standing in the snow...  or lying down.

• Like 7

Posted

Quick question: Which model has proved to be most accurate this winter, also, at which timeframe (obviously > 24hrs out !)

Rather than pick the one which looks the best in terms of IMBY, is there one that's stood out as better ?

Posted

Another nice winters day. Still a good cover of snow despite some melting. The last big snowfall a couple of weeks ago had a full week of 5cm of snow on the ground. I've not checked the snow depth in a while but I suspect it is below 5cm, but nevertheless it looks like this will be another week's worth of lying snow for the second time this winter - and after two of the best snowfalls since 2010 - which should give this winter a very respectable passmark. I'm hoping for another snowfall in the coming days to add to and perhaps prolong the snow cover. Not too much chance this weekend for Glasgow unless something unexpected comes up such as a polar low whilst some eastern areas could do well. I suppose the next shot at a decent snowfall is Monday night but plenty if details will change in the coming days. I'm not sure about beyond next week, I think everyone is hoping for an easterly or some for, of proper HLB to become established.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Snow has continued to melt in Stirling but still a thin cover remains.

Now I'm back in Dumfries and we still have 10cm at the very least. Even in town there is still a 2 inch covering (although people and traffic have caused a melt and patchy cover).

I wish if been here to see it but oh well. I wonder how much will last until the next 'top up', I'm sure some will survive, with ice being quite widespread where snow has melted.

The Southern Uplands looked beautiful on the way down, I'm sure the highlands will look exceptionally pretty currently :)

• Like 3

That wee blob on the radar passing south over the Firth of Forth has fired up a bit in the last hour. Typically I need to go back to work to finish my shift before I'll get to see the outcome, but fingers crossed that firstly it makes it here and secondly it falls as snow. Currently 0.5º/-3.4ºC so you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

This what you're talking about Catch?   They do appear to be growing

.http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/?type=rain-snow-sleet

Typically, they have skipped Fife but looks as if you, SS and Mardartha may get lucky?  Depends on your temps & dew points though I suppose.

Edited by Blitzen

This what you're talking about Catch?   They do appear to be growing

.http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/?type=rain-snow-sleet

Typically, they have skipped Fife but looks as if you, SS and Mardartha may get lucky?

Aye, that's the one. It really did pick up off the water, didn't it? I'm off back to work until 10pm so I'll try and peak out the window to see what's going on!! Typical lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

That wee blob on the radar passing south over the Firth of Forth has fired up a bit in the last hour. Typically I need to go back to work to finish my shift before I'll get to see the outcome, but fingers crossed that firstly it makes it here and secondly it falls as snow. Currently 0.5º/-3.4ºC so you never know.

Snowing here.

Mini Miss SS told me. Something of a surprise - I haven't been radar watching the day.

T = 1.5 °C / DP = -0.6 °C.

EDIT. Oh, the met have me for snaw from now until early doors...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Trying not to get my hopes up as the front still has to head over the Southen uplands.... But it has intensified significantly in the last hour and goes as far west as almost Stranraer (and right to the east coast basically) so here's hoping.

Although, I'm also not totally sure it will fall as snow? Does seem pretty chilly out there at 1c

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

We're all gonna die some day...  It's just a matter of whether we die standing in the snow...  or lying down.

Faf you really do make me laugh HC yer like the Jack and Victor of the kilted thread....I choose standing

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Same here. Scotland is famous for a lot of myths and legends. Nothing more so than the elusive phantom snow!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Right! WTF is gawn oan?

The past couple of weeks, the snaw has been coming in fae the NW and we have receive little or fk all.

Tonight it's coming in fae the East Coast and we are getting fk all!!!

Whaur's mah fkn snaw???

Big losing patience noo Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 7

Posted

Right! WTF is gawn oan?

The past couple of weeks, the snaw has been coming in fae the NW and we have receive little or fk all.

Tonight it's coming in fae the East Coast and we are getting fk all!!!

Whaur's mah fkn snaw???

Big losing patience noo Innes

About same situation here in Inverclyde, North Westerly more or less misses us and pastes many parts of central and SE, then a Best fae the East appears, wallops the SE and Central and we get hee haw! Joke is place!

Edited by grifter

Posted

No real precipitation falling here. Felt a few spots of rain initially so probably for the better... Temp has risen to 2c now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Heavy wet snow / sleet / rain here which has destroyed most of the covering we had. Not to worry though as it shows the showers are very much going to reach here while the colder air currently moving in becomes established.

• Like 2