Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Whats the thoughts for the next 48 hrs..? coastal districts and the far North perhaps at greatest risk..??

Euro4 06z will be out in about an hour, so we'll have a reasonable idea by then. Rain for Aberdeen and Ayrshire though, no doubt :(

Edit: Waw! 06z looks rather snowy for inland eastern and northern areas...

Perhaps the best of the bunch tomorrow at 9pm:

post-2844-0-76712600-1422614349_thumb.pn

2nd Edit: If that GFS comes off as forecast then areas to the south-east of Inverness towards Grantown-on-Spey and the Cairngorms are going to get a foot of snow of Saturday, assuming it is snow which falls which looks a possibility certainly with altitude.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

A bit milder overnight but frost came in with daylight and refroze everything including the dusting of snow still lying in shaded areas. Fine wintry sky to the north with showers slowly building. Currently 1.5c

The Euro4 doesn't disappoint for parts of the north, the same area which the GFS is picking up on, south-east of Inverness, Grantown-on-Spey, Cairngorms. Also to note is a small feature running further south overnight tonight, from an IMBY view this could be of interest for upland parts of the Borders (mardatha, SS):

post-2844-0-79736800-1422616615_thumb.gipost-2844-0-02381200-1422616617_thumb.gipost-2844-0-27579300-1422616618_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-32078000-1422616619_thumb.gipost-2844-0-46769600-1422616620_thumb.gipost-2844-0-24330600-1422616621_thumb.gipost-2844-0-78343600-1422616622_thumb.gi

Plenty of interest across the country. That snowstorm forecast for the north could be quite something :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm going to Aviemore on Tuesday, hoping for lots of snow! Can anybody tell me what conditions are like? Looks like a fair bit more snow to fall over the coming days as well - Hope I can get there! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Nope. Drizabone.

Bad times HC, surely once the more northerly flow is established then you're in. Failing that I think you'll need Voodoo

It's looking pretty tasty CMD. The road from Daviot to Grantown and the extended area is all 200m asl or more so it will surely be snow

Fingers crossed for any snow starved easties

• Like 1

Bad times HC, surely once the more northerly flow is established then you're in. Failing that I think you'll need Voodoo

It's looking pretty tasty CMD. The road from Daviot to Grantown and the extended area is all 200m asl or more so it will surely be snow

Fingers crossed for any snow starved easties

I'd be foaming at the mouth is I was you with that forecast. I'm not jealous, honest.

Edit: Some of the charts are quite stunning, this isn't a standard Northerly, in a similar way to the recent Westerlies being non-standard.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'd be foaming at the mouth is I was you with that forecast. I'm not jealous, honest.

Let's just say I've dodged my planned Edinburgh trip :D See what transpires eh

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I am a very positive person but I am worried right now that we are not in the firing line for any of the charts......Im gonna have to get in the car for a sledging trip if this continues and i wish to avoid that.....cold wet kids on a journey home only leads to crankiness......keep hoping for the threats of an easterly to become reality.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A'Noon.  3.2c/0.3c/WSW.   Beautiful day here but the snow we did have has taken a hit.

What a nerse up! (how to get past the swear filter in one easy lesson!) :D  Like the rest of you, I'm not sure where we are going to land up with snow prospects.   Meto have weather alerts up for Fife for ice from 4pm - 11am.   Another for snow from 00.15am 31st - 11.45pm 31st.   Another for snow from 00.15am 3rd Feb - 11.45pm  3rd Feb - (cocky!)  As no snow materialised on the last alert, I am not holding my breath!   Guess we will just have to watch and wait.  Interesting though! :D

post-1989-0-77383000-1422622263_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

At 8 this morning it was 1.8C in Grangemouth. It's currently 3.0C at Kings Buildings in Edinburgh and a nice day.

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

A'Noon.  3.2c/0.3c/WSW.   Beautiful day here but the snow we did have has taken a hit.

What a nerse up! (how to get past the swear filter in one easy lesson!) :D  Like the rest of you, I'm not sure where we are going to land up with snow prospects.   Meto have weather alerts up for Fife for ice from 4pm - 11am.   Another for snow from 00.15am 31st - 11.45pm 31st.   Another for snow from 00.15am 3rd Feb - 11.45pm  3rd Feb - (cocky!)  As no snow materialised on the last alert, I am not holding my breath!   Guess we will just have to watch and wait.  Interesting though! :D

Blitzen remember all that yellow paint that METO had stockpiled over 2012/13/14. I think they are now using a scatter gun with it. :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

I am a very positive person but I am worried right now that we are not in the firing line for any of the charts......Im gonna have to get in the car for a sledging trip if this continues and i wish to avoid that.....cold wet kids on a journey home only leads to crankiness......keep hoping for the threats of an easterly to become reality.

I'd remain positive EDO......just looking at the figures towards the end of your post ,you can see how much better it us than the non existent winter of last year!!!

Just think of where we are now....and we've still got all of February and March( hopefully) for meaningful snow chancesâ„ï¸â„ï¸â„ï¸

Posted

It's been a pretty good winter so far (more especially Janurary) 2 decent snowfalls to give 2 good coverings this month is nothing to complain about (and of course december had all the thunder/hail at times) not too bad at all

Posted

I'm going to Aviemore on Tuesday, hoping for lots of snow! Can anybody tell me what conditions are like? Looks like a fair bit more snow to fall over the coming days as well - Hope I can get there! :)

Not as much snow as further west, I think, but still decent.

WinterHighland is your best bet generally- it has links to various webcams and summaries of ski conditions.

Aviemore webcam is here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/aviemore/

Cairngorm webcams here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/

General summary of the current position and expected current conditions in the ski areas is here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

SAIS Northern Cairngorms blog might also be useful:

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2015/01/cold-with-new-windslab/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I'd remain positive EDO......just looking at the figures towards the end of your post ,you can see how much better it us than the non existent winter of last year!!!

Just think of where we are now....and we've still got all of February and March( hopefully) for meaningful snow chancesâ„ï¸â„ï¸â„ï¸

Cheers Dr I needed that motivational post :) did the wee man get a chance to make a snowman?

I see we now have a warning for snow on Tuesday and this is Friday so they must be thinking that has potential to become a significant feature...I have seen many features throwing up for the 3rd and 4th over many runs so maybe that will be something to keep a close eye on....

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day in St Andrews, sunny skies, 5c.

Plenty to keep everyone interested I'd say. 6z GFS indicates that the real cold air doesn't kick in until later on Saturday so any accumulating snowfall may be restricted to higher ground before then but after that it looks cold for a few days at least and while northern areas are obviously favoured for snowfall any little features embedded in the flow could bring others a surprise or two. I'm certainly not expecting snow here, but neither am I ruling it out! At this stage Tuesday looks quite interesting (here) but it's too far away to get excited about just yet! I figure since I've already waited 4 years for snow, what's another few days!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

That's the rain on now...  :wallbash::bomb::fool:

Probably just softening me up for tomorrow's sleetfest off the firth. Couldn't make this sh it up really.

I remain optimistic that from tomorrow night onwards, we have a decent chance of snow. Yeah right dream on HC.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 5

Posted

Not good...Shnizzly rain in the north. For once I hope it doesn't make down to Falkirk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Cheers Dr I needed that motivational post :) did the wee man get a chance to make a snowman?

I see we now have a warning for snow on Tuesday and this is Friday so they must be thinking that has potential to become a significant feature...I have seen many features throwing up for the 3rd and 4th over many runs so maybe that will be something to keep a close eye on....

That's the way....glass half full...and all that

Turns out that this area didn't get enough of an accumulation to build " the man".... And he'd also had a poor night so wouldn't have beenup for it?

SO , we move on to the next chance â„⛄ And my feeling is ..there will be more opportunities.

My dream would be for him to see one like March 2006....I think the snow that night was almost higher than him ....he would love that!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Rain fairly piddlin' doon noo and it feels kinda raw outside. Temp 2.3c or -1.2c depending on which weather station I look at! Both of them have the sunshiny symbol on them. They lie, I tells you, THEY LIE!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not as much snow as further west, I think, but still decent.

WinterHighland is your best bet generally- it has links to various webcams and summaries of ski conditions.

Aviemore webcam is here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/aviemore/

Cairngorm webcams here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/

General summary of the current position and expected current conditions in the ski areas is here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/general/

SAIS Northern Cairngorms blog might also be useful:

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2015/01/cold-with-new-windslab/

Thanks for that! Snow coming down pretty heavy on some of them webcams atm. Had no snow here so looking forward my trip up north! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Some snaps from Wednesday & Thursday's snowfall. 2" lying level by 9am on Thursday morning. Nice.  :cold:

post-6412-0-86388400-1422629809_thumb.jppost-6412-0-71602600-1422630010_thumb.jppost-6412-0-31592100-1422630652_thumb.jppost-6412-0-12577700-1422631160_thumb.jppost-6412-0-35063900-1422631340_thumb.jp

Very slight thaw yesterday and then cold at first last night, dipping down to -4.6ºC before the cloud trundled in, giving us a sharp snow shower around half past midnight. 

The temperature rose through the night and the steady thaw of the lying snow is continuing. Lovely, crisp, bright day, mind. 

Current temperature: 3.1ºC/-2ºC

Looking forward to a wee top-up over the weekend and beyond.   :good:

Hmmm, also noting a slight outbreak of TOORPing in the MOD as signals of the more prolonged cold spell ahead that were 'nailded' appear a little less 'stella' today...perhaps not quite the 'BOOM' from the  :bomb:  after all, but still several orders of magnitude better already than last winter's total mild mushfest, surely?

Now, where's that ****** rodent when we need him?

post-6412-0-74919500-1422631397_thumb.gi

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 8