Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Had a couple of fairly heavy hail showers here this afternoon with a few flashes of lightning thrown in for good measure.  Was as dark at 2.30 here as it is now at 4pm.  Interesting week coming up compared to what we have had recently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rain here at the mo. Was stuck in a dark zone of heavy rain for a time on my way home. Temp dropped from 4.5 to 3.5 in last hour. Hoping to see something later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer.

Walked the dog this morning round the dichty burn. Twas sunny with an icey wind !

The clouds rolling in from the northwest had all the characteristics of snow clouds but have delivered cold rain in these parts.

My in-laws stay at a slightly higher altitude and have had some falling snow.

I feel it's still very early days for this winter, we never really had anything as promising as this last winter which delivered atlantic depression after depression.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Walked the dog this morning round the dichty burn. Twas sunny with an icey wind !

The clouds rolling in from the northwest had all the characteristics of snow clouds but have delivered cold rain in these parts.

My in-laws stay at a slightly higher altitude and have had some falling snow.

I feel it's still very early days for this winter, we never really had anything as promising as this last winter which delivered atlantic depression after depression.

The last shower turned to wet snow for a time up by Charleston Drive. More sleet down at Tescos on South road. Maybe the next one?

The Sidlaws are now white.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just had a scoot through what is out so far on the 12zs. Looks okay still to me. Am I right in thinking that we are effectively trapped in a col? Whatever it is, it appears to be keeping us under the influence of at least -5 850s until next Sunday? Not very good at reading charts so I am sure some of the more informed will enlighten us soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just had a scoot through what is out so far on the 12zs. Looks okay still to me. Am I right in thinking that we are effectively trapped in a col? Whatever it is, it appears to be keeping us under the influence of at least -5 850s until next Sunday? Not very good at reading charts so I am sure some of the more informed will enlighten us soon.

They are well apart but there are opposing highs and lows just now. However there is mobile weather too.

Here is a description of a col.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/advanced/habyextra3/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Great pic ross and great lampie :) all quiet here again for the moment but looking good for later if showers make it through.....seen some cracking photos from Kirkmichael which had a really decent covering....It's about 9 miles NW of Blairgowrie

• Like 1

It is still unclear what's going to happen after the storm, there are different outcomes being spat out by the different models at different times. Favourite seems to be keeping us in cold(ish) air for a reasonable amount of time post-storm. This morning's ECM cooked up a wee secondary low for a day or two after the storm, but yesterday's 12z didn't do this. Tonight's ECM 12z will start rolling out soon, I'll post up charts when they are available. Tonight's 12z UKMO only goes out to just after the storm, and it pulls in some proper cold uppers from the north, but probably would flatten the pattern if it ran past +144hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

None snow here yet either boohoo. Reckn il be lucky to see much if it all. However have abandoned plans to go for out tea just in case lol. Pizza ordered wine poured lampost duty commencing lol.

Some fab pics tho guys. Handsdown beats the whole of last yr already!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Had just about given up... Then looked outside and it's white with heavy snow falling and settling :) colder air must be filtering back in now.

The all important lamppost! attachicon.gifIMAG0377.jpg

Just drove back along the mate and the area around Harthill and Salsburgh was interesting to say the least - down to about 30 mph with heavy, settling snow.  Temperature just seemed to drop away suddenly from 2.5C to 0C in the precipitation.  Only a bit of slush here in Motherwell though.

Edit: I see the old M 8/mate filter is still in action!

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 3

ECM out to +144hrs, I can't remember seeing such sustained cold from what is basically off the Atlantic:

Frames in order from +72hrs to +144hrs.

post-2844-0-66094300-1417977178_thumb.gipost-2844-0-37926900-1417977177_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-70818300-1417977180_thumb.gipost-2844-0-66822000-1417977179_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-61483500-1417977182_thumb.gipost-2844-0-64304100-1417977181_thumb.gi

post-2844-0-60115700-1417977184_thumb.gipost-2844-0-57534700-1417977183_thumb.gi

Snow chances galore coming up, with a bit of luck somewhere will be getting an utter pasting this coming week.

Posted

ECM out to +144hrs, I can't remember seeing such sustained cold from what is basically off the Atlantic

You not around in 1984 then? That winter turned out very snowy indeed for Scotland. Didn't affect England at all I don't think. Have a peek at the archives.
  • Like 1

You not around in 1984 then? That winter turned out very snowy indeed for Scotland. Didn't affect England at all I don't think. Have a peek at the archives.

I turned six in February 1984, so I don't remember much about it at all :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

ECM out to +144hrs, I can't remember seeing such sustained cold from what is basically off the Atlantic:

Frames in order from +72hrs to +144hrs.

attachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +72hrs.gifattachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +72hrs 850.gif

attachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +96hrs.gifattachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +96hrs 850.gif

attachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +120hrs.gifattachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +120hrs 850.gif

attachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +144hrs.gifattachicon.gif7th Dec ECM 12z +144hrs 850.gif

Snow chances galore coming up, with a bit of luck somewhere will be getting an utter pasting this coming week.

Tuesday night and Thursday look the most interesting to me, impressive temperature gradient with the initial front with cold air undercutting:

gfs-1-54.png?12

In the short term the colder uppers heading in show up quite nicely on the EURO4:

14120718_0712.gif 14120721_0712.gif

Precipitation will continue to pile in through the night even into the early hours, with temperatures dropping off towards 0C:

14120800_0712.gif 14120806_0712.gif 14120803_0712.gif

Signs of one of these features just leaving on the Monday midday FAX chart:

PPVE89.png

Going to be an interesting few days certainly, with a near constant risk of snowfall but with marginality definitely in play.

Looks like another trough crossing the country on the radar (incoming for Ross B and Lorenzo!)...

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 7

Posted

I turned six in February 1984, so I don't remember much about it at all :)

Now that just makes me feel old!   My son turned six in March 1984!

Was a weird one though (that winter, not my son! :laugh: )  Snowed every day at some point through that January.   Everyone down south was wondering what all the fuss was about.  Snow up to my hips.  Windy with it too.   I've certainly not seen better in this area.

• Like 3

Posted

Snowing again and currently 0.5c. Yes it does seem strange to see such cold weather from the west after all the talk of so many above average temperature months this year.

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing here in Clyde area - I think there's a big snow eating beast behind the hills here, or he's got a big blowtorch!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

1984, I remember wading through hip deep snow on my way to school with two pals, then all the way back home again because the school was almost empty. We were taken in by a surprised teacher, warmed up and sent home - to our joy. It was great. There was no way I was going to stay at home in that weather, It's such a joy to wake up on a snow day.  

• Like 1

Posted

Worked at Rosyth 1984 and whilst there wasn't much there, I can remember driving up to Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath and the depth of snow was unbelievable!

• Like 1