Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Mild sector (think you can call it that) is here. Should be brief before the fun and games of later tonight/tomorrow

Aye, mild sector sounds about right. When you look at the charts the mild air topples through, usually we get a northerly toppler of cold air but it's the mild air doing the toppling at the moment. Long may it continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Morning all,

First air frost of the season for me last night with the temp down to -1.4c. Keeping in mind the min for all of winter 2013/14 was -1.9c!

Regular readers will know my location is probably the least prone to wintry weather among members on this thread (though misty queen may want to debate that!) so if I see any snow this coming week everyone else will be buried ;-) My hopes for this winter are quite modest, I'd like to see a cm or two of snow on the ground for a day or so (last occurred here in Dec 2010).

Great to see the thread busy again,

Excuse me, that's my albatross you're trying to steal!

Nigel Farage will be glad that they've gone.

Farrago prolly hasn't even heard of Cumbernauld so SB's tits are safe...

Crappy Saturday morning here too.  Just wondering what bike tyres will be most suitable for the coming week.

Posted

A low of -4C at Glasgow airport which is the coldest temperature since March and already this month we've had two nights with lower temperatures than anything recorded during last winter which goes to show for how dismal a winter it was. I'm not overly optimistic about my snow chances tomorrow as it does look too marginal for my liking and where the heaviest/most persistent areas of precipitation end up is a bit if a lottery but it is nice to have the first shot at some wintry potential this season and I'm sure some places will do very well tomorrow.

• Like 2

A low of -4C at Glasgow airport which is the coldest temperature since March and already this month we've had two nights with lower temperatures than anything recorded during last winter which goes to show for how dismal a winter it was. I'm not overly optimistic about my snow chances tomorrow as it does look too marginal for my liking and where the heaviest/most persistent areas of precipitation end up is a bit if a lottery but it is nice to have the first shot at some wintry potential this season and I'm sure some places will do very well tomorrow.

You might end up with one of those frustrating days where the showers start as rain, turn to heavy snow and then stop at the point that the snow starts to stick. Head up to the hills (Campsies maybe?).

Posted

Excuse me, that's my albatross you're trying to steal!

Apologies HC, I should have factored you into the 'least wintry location' conversation! Let's hope we all see at least one decent snowfall this winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Warning now extended for tomorrow to include more areas. Nice to be under even a yellow although still far from convinced. Wee sleety shower ongoing as I type.

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Morning All, nice cold night last night, good to walk out the back and hear the frost crunching underfoot.

Great post Catch - lays everything out well.

Wanted to share this post from Paul in the model thread in case anyone didn't see it in there.. New free in house hi res models for the up and coming snow, can never have too many sources of information.

We've now got free viewers for the NetWx-SR and NetWx-MR models (were the NMM's) - our in house hi-res models. The SR is a short range (48 hour) 4km model for the UK, with the MR running out to 7 days at 12km resolution.

SR:

http://www.netweathe...=netwx-sr;sess=

MR

http://www.netweathe...=netwx-mr;sess=

I hope you like them  :D

Ps - For Netweather Extra (and Extra Lite) subscribers these pages will automatically take you to the subscriber versions of these charts rather than the free one if you're logged in.

Example image below of precip type, will be good to compare with the Euro 4 outlook Catch posted up earlier.

post-7292-0-18602200-1417865788_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Warning now extended for tomorrow to include more areas. Nice to be under even a yellow although still far from convinced. Wee sleety shower ongoing as I type.

Hey hey - I'm now just about under the yellow warning. Possibly ends at the other side of the field to the west of me, but an improvement still.

Got a puncture in one of my new winter tyres last night on the way home. Limped back after re-inflating 5 miles from home. Planning a drive tomorrow to a mates house in Falkirik and was hoping for some snaw action, at least up Soutra. Couldn't believe it when I got a flat - ruddy great nail hissing away like mad.

Anyway, much kudos to ATS Euromaster in Gala who fitted me in this morning after I called early doors. Plugged and back on the road for just £15 too.

• Like 2

Hey hey - I'm now just about under the yellow warning. Possibly ends at the other side of the field to the west of me, but an improvement still.

Got a puncture in one of my new winter tyres last night on the way home. Limped back after re-inflating 5 miles from home. Planning a drive tomorrow to a mates house in Falkirik and was hoping for some snaw action, at least up Soutra. Couldn't believe it when I got a flat - ruddy great nail hissing away like mad.

Anyway, much kudos to ATS Euromaster in Gala who fitted me in this morning after I called early doors. Plugged and back on the road for just £15 too.

I see we're onto split warnings for Scotland/England. The Scottish warning stops about ten miles west of me, the English warning runs along the border about five miles east of me and up towards Berwick. I thought I was seeing things before but there have been a few warnings recently which have run along the border too closely to be coincidence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Very Cold looking on Saturday morning, temps definitely aided by the lying snow.

post-21143-0-06908000-1417869134_thumb.ppost-21143-0-49184800-1417869134_thumb.p

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill
  • Like 1

Posted

Busting out a retro chart, just because the colour scheme looks epic and these were the first charts I ever used so some nostalgia.

Polar Low territory  :cold:

post-7292-0-37934100-1417870639_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Busting out a retro chart, just because the colour scheme looks epic and these were the first charts I ever used so some nostalgia.

Polar Low territory  :cold:

attachicon.gifEurope_2014120606_thgt500_174.png

You can't even claim a prize for the first person to mention Polar Lows, LS won that award yesterday. Uppers a bit on the warm side perhaps, I always thought sub -40ºC as a maximum? Genuine question :)

Posted

You can't even claim a prize for the first person to mention Polar Lows, LS won that award yesterday. Uppers a bit on the warm side perhaps, I always thought sub -40ºC as a maximum? Genuine question :)

Good work LS, it wouldn't be a winter on here without one.

You are right Catch -40 required according to this guide from ZAMG, we are heading towards the right profile where one is possible.

A key parameter for a Polar Low is the temperature at 500 hPa. This temperature has to be -40° Celsius or lower. This condition is fulfilled over a large area in which the lowest temperature is even -50° Celsius. (see link) NW coast of Norway.

Handy link - http://www.zamg.ac.at/docu/Manual/SatManu/main.htm?/docu/Manual/SatManu/CMs/PL/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wow great colours and great synoptics on that chart.....right I am officially excited...think this will be a busy thread this evening....those temperature predictions for next week Ross posted up look the coldest many of us have seen for a while

Posted

Hi Everyone

I just joined and would like to say hello out there to all the weather geeks (!). I didn't see an official intro thread so thought here was best as this is where I'll be spending most of my time.

Apologies if this is not in the correct place and for taking the topic slight off on a tangent. I'm from port Glasgow in Inverclyde and I think there's a Ross here who is also from the port!

Andrew (Grifter)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hi Everyone

I just joined and would like to say hello out there to all the weather geeks (!). I didn't see an official intro thread so thought here was best as this is where I'll be spending most of my time.

Apologies if this is not in the correct place and for taking the topic slight off on a tangent. I'm from port Glasgow in Inverclyde and I think there's a Ross here who is also from the port!

Andrew (Grifter)

Welcome aboard grifter.

You should stick your location into your profile so when you are jumping up and down posting 'It's snowing here - woohoo!' people ken where 'here' is. :D 

You joined at a good time anyway - some snaw action coming it seems.

Enjoy.

---

Meantime, mild sector looks to be peaking here. 6.5 °C and dreich with a fair breeze.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Welcome aboard grifter.

You should stick your location into your profile so when you are jumping up and down posting 'It's snowing here - woohoo!' people ken where 'here' is. :D 

You joined at a good time anyway - some snaw action coming it seems.

Enjoy.

---

Meantime, mild sector looks to be peaking here. 6.5 °C and dreich with a fair breeze.

Thanks for the welcome Scottish Skier - it's certainly looking a bit more interesting than last year. Hoping to see something on sunday, even a flurry or so I'll be happy enough - a blizzard would be good though! :) It's hard to imagine that happening with the way the weather is right now. In saying that last night about 2AM was severe frost - don't think I've ever seen it actually white almost like a blanket of snow on cars and crackin leaf patterns.

Andrew

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Getting excited and happy here too - as long as we get down the A7 on Wed afternoon, then from teatime on,it can snow until March. :yahoo:

• Like 2