Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Oh you tease LS! January,1984. my favourite winter!   (Think you knew that though!) :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

LS do not tease me with thoughts of being 10 years old and struggling to get home from the football and then seeing thundersnow :)

Lol tease the word of choice tonight :)

• Like 3

Posted

Does anyone remember the storm on 5th Dec 2013? I had put up a new weather station the week before. After a sleepless night ,when I thought the roof was taking off, went down stairs to check highest gust. All I got was a blank screen. Looked outside to see bits of the weather station scattered about garden.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Was not too bad here colsuth......this however

post-15765-0-31572000-1417733086_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

FAX charts looking pretty consistent again, troughs incoming Sunday behind the cold front:
fax72s.gif?0

Again, possibly a more interesting one on Monday morning after a very cold night Sunday:

fax96s.gif?0

Low pressure incoming on Tuesday, incredibly steep temperature gradient behind the cold front and troughs in behind:

fax120s.gif?0

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

For the hill people in here who haven't already seen it, Robert Macfarlane's piece on iplayer - Secret Knowledge - about Nan Shepherd is well worth a watch.  Half an hour not wasted.

And... 4C and rain!!

Edited by Hairy Celt

The stats are in for November 2014, I knew it had been warm but we've had the fifth warmest November (mean temp) in the 114 years worth of records. 2014 is still on course to be one of the warmest years on record since 1910.

2014 has seen the warmest spring, 14th warmest summer and third warmest autumn. Winter 2013-14 was the fifth warmest on record.

The regional values are different for North, West and East regions of Scotland:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

The latest FAX chart for Sunday into Monday has plenty of interest, particularly if you live in the NW as these may come into play:

post-2844-0-21113500-1417764023_thumb.gi

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps! Just had a hefty shower of something rattling off the roof, sounded a bit sleety, but still too dark and cold to venture out to investigate! I'm still in ma scratcher with electric blanket on and am draped with cats. Temp got down to 2.4 earlier this morning and has now leapt up to a blistering 2.8. I'll be dispensing with the thermals at this rate...not! Hope you all get a touch of some white stuff this weekend although I don't hold out much hope for my neck of the woods. Interesting charts for later next week though....

Posted

Morning all,

been a long time since I posted but it seems that Winter is returning and with it my enthusiasm for the white stuff!!

Had our first sleet shower of the year passing through just after 7am, temp currently 2.1c and not set to rise much more than a couple of degrees for the rest of the day..............lovely.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

For the hill people in here who haven't already seen it, Robert Macfarlane's piece on iplayer - Secret Knowledge - about Nan Shepherd is well worth a watch.  Half an hour not wasted.

And... 4C and rain!!

Do you you happen to have a link for that HC? Sounds like my cup of tea.. Some Wintry showers starting from today for you folks  :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Nae ice, nae frost, nae prep of any form. 3.7 °C.

Och pants.

Still, other than that, nice enough morn with blue skies and calm.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Nae ice, nae frost, nae prep of any form. 3.7 °C.

Och pants.

Yep, does look unfortunately like the pattern has shifted further west with more of a northerly component than the models had 48 hours ago, so a drier outlook likely.

14120512_0500.gif

Cold uppers just pushing in now so I'd expect temperatures to drop in the next hour or two and DPs to get to around or below 0C:

14120509_0500.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Do you you happen to have a link for that HC? Sounds like my cup of tea.. Some Wintry showers starting from today for you folks  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04tqk1n/secret-knowledge-12-the-living-mountain-a-cairngorms-journey

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Can't claim my 4th "blue Sky" morning in a row as it started out cool and cloudy. Temp was 3.4C around 7:30am this morning but dropping slowly (forgot to check overnight min). No frost, no ice, no evidence of any snow on the surrounding hills. The cloud has started to clear again though so looks like it's be a bright, cool day again at least.

Posted

Second time i've noticed it this week being a lot colder at half past 9 in the morning than it was at half past 5. BRR! Also, I looking at quite a dark cloud right in front of me. Don't think there be any showers............yet

Edited by NUT
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning, temperature was 3.4C at around 7.45am but fell to 1.8C just after half nine this morning.

Up to 2.1C now and a lovely early Winters morning.

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated snow warning

Issued at: 0948 on Fri 5 Dec 2014

Valid from: 0015 on Sun 7 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1200 on Mon 8 Dec 2014

Showers will affect western Scotland on Sunday and into Monday morning. These showers will fall as snow, particularly above 200 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption through the region. Icy stretches are likely to form on surfaces, as well as strong winds leading to reduced visibilities and poor driving conditions. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel on Sunday and into Monday morning. This is an update to the Alert originally issued on Thursday to change the position of the tick in the risk matrix and adjust the snow amounts/elevations.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Cold air will move across the UK on Sunday following a frontal system. Within the cold air frequent showers will form and push into western parts of Scotland in particular, these showers falling primarily as snow above around 200 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulations of up to 5 cm of snow are possible around 200 m, with some temporary slushy accumulations below this, and accumulations of 10 cm or more possible above 400 m. Icy stretches in association with the showers are also likely as well as difficult driving conditions due to strong winds and blowing snow.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1417910400&regionName=uk

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny morning here with wintry showers to the west. Ben Wyvis seen from the neep field post-2744-0-65895400-1417775681_thumb.jpemerging from the clouds with a very festive coat. Even a dusting on the Cawdor  hills just to the south west of  us.   Currently 1c with   a  sparkling ground frost which only started to form after dawn.Ground surface starting to freeze too.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Regardless of what the precip falls as, it's going to be quite wet across some areas of the west of Scotland in the next 72hrs:

post-2844-0-86013600-1417776898_thumb.pn

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

A couple of wet snow showers in East Kilbride, after a dry and bright start.

Nice one, seeing reports of the same in East Ayrshire at the moment.

A mild 1.7c here but the showers don't like making it over here at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day in NE Fife, 5c with clear sunny skies and light winds. More, please!

• Like 1

Posted

Dry afternoon here in East Ayrshire. Showers seem to have died away. The wind direction must have switched? Or no moisture left coming in from the Irish Sea? Rain is forecast for tomorrow I think which then reintroduces the wintry air and snow showers on Sunday but probably nothing in my location.

Edited by Frozen Britain
  • Like 1