Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Magic stuff lorenzo and LS...thankfully I still have a bright lamppost at my house despite many being changed to LED and dull ones at that elsewhere in the village

Cold and frosty at -2.5ºC when we got up at 3.40am, it was up to a balmy -0.5ºC an hour later.

I'm a little dubious as to how much precipitation will fall tomorrow, let alone whether it'll be snow or not. Any precip looks fairly light and patchy away from the north-west. Most places will not see any snow, HC you'll be lucky to get sleet let alone snow:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=5

The latest GFS keeps next week's low quite far north, looks quite blowy but probs only cold enough for one of the most frustrating weather types, wintry showers (i.e. a bit of sleet and a single snowflake mixed in with the rain).

Latest UKMO 00z still hasn't developed the low much, it's all put back by 24 hours from yesterday.

ECM 00z takes the low on a similar track to the GFS, way, way north at +144hrs but big enough to still affect us. Uppers close to ok for snow to low levels, but still looking a bit iffy. Then to silence my rambling the low takes a sharp right at +168hrs and heads straight for us....

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, another winter tyre morn the morn. Currently -0.6 °C up from -1.2 °C when I got up. Gairden white and crisp.

Looking possible for a wee taste of some snaw for me on the horizon. Even if nothing particularly special at Fort SS, Soutra could be interesting in the weeks ahead.

Posted

Not quite as chilly this morning and no sign of a frost at +3c at 9am. Nice morning though. Looking at the forecasts etc. for the next wee while I'd be surprised to see even a single snow flake here. I'll still watch things unfold with interest and hope that some of you see someting interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I see that Netweather is nature in reverse, as winter appears everyone comes out of hibernation.

It managed a low of -4.4C in my back garden last night and was still around -3C when I left the house just before 9am. A fair contrast in temperatures around even locally as it was +3C in Dyce when I got there 20mins later. As high as 5C around Stonehaven area one of my work colleagues mentioned, and he gets in early so that must have been at around 7am.

Can't claim my "not a cloud in the sky" again this morning, but it's not far off that. Misty in places, but light and only really sitting in the hollows. Personally I'm not expecting to see snow in the next few days, too many hills in the way when it's coming from the NW, unless it's a really big system. We do best for snow when it's coming from anywhere between NNW & E (possibly SE, but only if it's really cold). Then again, BBC weather website forecasts rain for us early hours of Friday when it's still very cool so maybe Cairn William (448m) & Bennachie (528m) just to our West will at least have a cap of snow when I get up tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Another lovely day for a long walk. Wee bit cauld wind on the lugs though!

Much more cloud has rolled in and we've lost the lovely sun.

Still keeping the faith of seeing some snow soon.

• Like 1

Posted

First snow warning of the winter out from the meto. 10-20cm above 200m and I'm just in the warning box :) don't think we'll get much but you never know with showers off a warm Atlantic!

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted

Some of you will like this ;)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1417910400®ionName=uk

"Showers will affect western Scotland on Sunday and into Monday morning. These showers will fall as snow, particularly above 200 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption through the region. Icy stretches are likely to form on surfaces, as well as strong winds leading to reduced visibilities and poor driving conditions.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel on Sunday and into Monday morning.

Cold air will move across the UK on Sunday following a frontal system on Saturday. Within the cold air frequent showers will form and push into western parts of Scotland in particular, these showers falling primarily as snow above around 200 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulations of 10-20 cm of snow are possible over above 200 m with some temporary slushy accumulations below this."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks again like the showers tomorrow morning will have at least a chance of being wintry:

14120512_0406.gif 14120509_0406.gif 14120512_0406.gif

It's showing up on the Fax charts now too:

PPVG89.png

I think the main difference between this and other 'close but no cigar' setups is the airmass is from a very cold source. If you look at the 500hpa temperatures they're borderline conducive to Polar Low formation. Now, that's unlikely to happen but it does show that, for Sunday into Monday at least, the airmass is very close to being Arctic rather than just standard Polar Maritime:

gfs-13-84.png?6

Met Office warning out for snow for Sunday (just yellow at the moment): 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=ta&from=rss&sn=F0C25B4D-538F-BEE7-E453-1509660B87A2_1_ST&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1417910400

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
Met Office warning out for snow for Sunday (just yellow at the moment):

"just yellow"...lol...some people on the MO thread would kill for a yellow weather warning of snow.

Thin cloud cover here in Dyce now with temp up to around 6C. Aboyne still just below freezing at last update. I'd guess at home in Kemnay it's closer to Aboye than Dyce in temperature as I can see from logging into my webcam that the grass in the back garden still appears to have a covering of frost (north facing so in shade of house at this time of the year and doesn't really see the sun).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

As an aperitif, I'll take this.

Yellow warning of ice

A band of rain will move east across northwestern UK during Thursday evening and Friday morning. Clear skies will follow allowing surfaces to fall below freezing, giving a risk of ice on untreated surfaces.

:diablo:

EDIT, hold on, MetO have wee snaw symbols for me the nicht.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

As an aperitif, I'll take this.

:diablo:

EDIT, hold on, MetO have wee snaw symbols for me the nicht.

Yeah it's starting to look like there'll be fun over the next week...  :blink2:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

That's a nice ass you got there HC! :whistling:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yikes:

150-289UK.GIF?04-12

GFS 12Z wind gusts go a bit mental. Bearing in mind that's in knots, you'd be talking about 100mph widely across the central belt, up to 120mph at the coasts. Sustained winds don't look like a picnic either, hurricane force in places:

144-602UK.GIF?04-12

As a result of this deepening it develops a warm core, which mixes out the cold uppers after the initialy burst:

h850t850eu.png

It then brings in a pretty chilly toppler northerly though:

h850t850eu.png

UKMO looks a bit less extreme with the winds and consequently colder, which I'm assuming is what the Met Office are seeing RE the snow risk for next week:

UW144-21.GIF?04-17 UW144-7.GIF?04-17

edit: it does look as though the meteociel wind charts are, fortunately, mislabelled as 'noeuds' (knots) when it's actually km/h, so in fact gusts don't like quite so bad in reality:

ukgust.png

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Those wind feathers on LS's chart. What's the ratio of knots - mph again? Anyone know?

Posted

Those wind feathers on LS's chart. What's the ratio of knots - mph again? Anyone know?

See my edited bit at the bottom - looks like it's actually km/h rather than knots. Good job too - a storm like that would rival and probably beat the worst storms of 2011/12. 1 Knot is slightly more than 1mph, so 90 knots would be roughly 100mph. The strongest wind gusts are around 65-70mph so not actually as bad as some previous recent storms when gusts of >100mph were recorded on the Tay Bridge.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks LS. Jeez, even although, that is quite severe and I hope it gets lost somewhere where it can't do any damage!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This December is starting well so much going on.

System begins with a severe gradient looks like around 930mb south of Greenland.

post-7292-0-32234300-1417715928_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-28640100-1417716060_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-49747200-1417716062_thumb.pn

Anywhere between 945 and 955 on closer approach, will be interesting to see if it loses intensity or stays the course.

post-7292-0-98690700-1417715928_thumb.pn

From netwx a good view of the wind profiles mid week, yellow warning for this at least.

post-7292-0-11790900-1417715646_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-07011500-1417715648_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-09752800-1417715650_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-13151100-1417715652_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-18184700-1417715654_thumb.pn

Windstorm fits with the Winter forecast too so all good there !

Euro4 and NMM in house both show the trough passing in and the associated streamers in tow.

post-7292-0-44764300-1417715746_thumb.gipost-7292-0-16854600-1417715747_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-16072300-1417715866_thumb.pn

So we have successive cold fronts, decent thickness,  Ice warnings, a trough coming in on 'that' angle of attack, more streamers forecast over Sunday with further warnings and a yellow amber event for next week.

Boring Eh !

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 6

Posted

Look at the cold pool out in the Atlantic on Tuesday midday:

ECM0-120.GIF

Before that, some nice cold incoming on westerly winds on Sunday:

ECM0-72.GIF ECU4-72.GIF?04-0

All 3 major models now have the low maxing near or below 940mb central pressure (GFS goes to 931mb as per Lorenzo's post and nearly challenging the Braer low):

ECM1-120.GIF?04-0 UW120-21.GIF gfs-0-120.png

Rather chilly at +144, windchill must be through the floor:

ECM1-144.GIF?04-0 ECU0-144.GIF?04-0

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My hubby HAS TO get to the Borders hospital on Wed for a cardiology appt. I hope to god the weather holds off until night.

Posted

My hubby HAS TO get to the Borders hospital on Wed for a cardiology appt. I hope to god the weather holds off until night.

It's horrible when there is a sign of bad weather incoming Mardatha. Hopefully it doesn't just hold off but does one altogether. You will just have to keep a close eye on it and if you have to, try and book in somewhere close to the hospital the night before?

Posted

I think it'll be fine for that - the wind doesn't look as bad as I thought, even on the GFS, and I reckon the Borders are far less likely to end up with either the worst of the winds or the precipitation than central areas as your location is much more sheltered from westerly winds :good:

Latest ECM spits out another storm a couple of days after the one discussed above, so potentially a storm on the 10th into the 11th and then another one on the 13th.

UKMO looks to be on board with the first storm coming far enough south to affect us.

Posted

archives-1984-1-3-0-0.png gfs-0-144.png

Normally pattern matching is pretty iffy, but some striking similarities with this one. The main difference is the strength of the vortex, which was much stronger in January 1984, which does mean that the progression is a bit different, but the upper air temperatures progged aren't actually much higher:

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/comp_panel.php?mode=1&ech=162&size=3 compared to:

archives-1984-1-3-0-1.png

Of course, conditions on the ground could be completely different, but certainly worth watching to see how it develops.

ECM Ensemble mean is toned down a bit but still pretty impressive for a mean chart at +144, uppers sub -4C at both +144 and +168:

EDM1-144.GIF?04-0 EDM0-144.GIF?04-0 EDM1-168.GIF?04-0 EDM0-168.GIF?04-0

• Like 2