Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
7 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

From Steve Murr in the MOD thread:

In order to avoid hyperventilation, I'm going to pretend he didn't say that.

Too late, time for pictures

9148995.jpg9149008.jpg74065545.jpg1982_conway_road,_after_a_blizzard..jpgyork_tce_jan82.jpgTwynyrodyn,WilliamsStreet_Snow1982_DSC00Twynyrodyn,WilliamsStreet_Snow_1982_DSC04346271129_cd55b33756_b.jpg1797588_1394555547530843_64466875870910311001725_10152721433514632_608630563665710917117_1551583228446795_205122600482251504984_1005140226167282_59423662247687262036_10152189622146763_1704570535_n.jpgfields_road_1982.jpgqueue_for_bread-at-Armoury%20Stores-%20J

now THAT was a cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted

Every winter it's the same, get excited at the possibility of snow but alas, we live far too close to the sea for anything spectacular, although I don't like to show my age but I remember the snow of 1982 :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
4 hours ago, snefnug said:

Not at the moment.  Although by tomorrow maybe sparkling icing.  Enjoy the walk.

Indeed, although by tomorrow yes, the band of precipitation will have crossed the area, and whilst it may be rain at lower levels,  certainly up above 200m it'll be snow, and settling around 300m. I suspect though being southeast of Snowdonias big peaks, it may well be that the relative hills get a sugar icing at best.. but the prospect of frost and fog is good for the valleys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

I remember the snow event of '82! Never since have I seen snow quite like it here in Cardiff. My sister got married in it and all the neighbours had to dig a path to the main road for the car to pick her up. :)

It's feeling much colder here today, precipitation that fell this morning was rain. I was really hoping it may have been sleet. We got down to 1.8c just before the rain hit. Come on cold spell, dig in a little deeper.

I know we're not really forecast anything, but snow does have a habit of arriving unexpectedly. I still have everything crossed for some white flakes before the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Snowing but not settling in Blaenau Ffestiniog since about 1430. Snow is wet but large flakes. It just shows up as green colour on the v6 radar (snow/rain)

Posted

Raining again....

Roll on Spring. Had it with rain....had it with muddy waterlogged fields. Yuk.

Posted
1 minute ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Raining again....

Roll on Spring. Had it with rain....had it with muddy waterlogged fields. Yuk.

Keep the faith Carl46 the frost should sort out the muddy ground and there is a possibility that the fields may be white by the weekend. You never know

Posted
15 minutes ago, EastAnglian said:

Keep the faith Carl46 the frost should sort out the muddy ground and there is a possibility that the fields may be white by the weekend. You never know

No chance I'm afraid...hell of a lot of water around, thanks to the deluge of yesterday. We need a good dry spell before even contemplating snow. If it falls it simply won't settle...what isn't flooded is wet/soggy/saturated. Hence the desire for Spring.

Posted

Sorry to hear that, in that case I hope you get some good drying days between now and Monday.

2 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

No chance I'm afraid...hell of a lot of water around, thanks to the deluge of yesterday. We need a good dry spell before even contemplating snow. If it falls it simply won't settle...what isn't flooded is wet/soggy/saturated. Hence the desire for Spring.

Posted

Great "cold" spell this eh? Will live long in the memory! *rolleyes*

Posted

Just looking at the temp it's dropped to 2.7c now wonder how far we are actually off snow.

Edited by Matty23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
2 hours ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Keep the faith.. I've seen 2 inches of snow settle in half an hour after 6 hours of heavy rain. Just need the temperature dip! 

Posted
Just now, SilverWolf said:

Keep the faith.. I've seen 2 inches of snow settle in half an hour after 6 hours of heavy rain. Just need the temperature dip! 

Nowt to do with faith my friend...the day I see snow settle on water, is the day I see elephants fly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
10 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Don't worry Carl, you should see some tomorrow night into Friday, probably one of the best locations tomorrow night,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
9 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

The cold was only forecast to get here tomorrow so give it time mate, get the cold in first then c wot happens!!! More cold rain lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
3 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Nowt to do with faith my friend...the day I see snow settle on water, is the day I see elephants fly.

Ah - didn't realise you meant literally on water! Might need a few days sub zero for that... 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

I don't mean to get personal, Carl, but you often seem very negative about the weather. It can be quite tedious in this country, I admit, but it's important to try not to let it affect your mood (like it did to me a few years back).

Then, after spending time in Calcutta in the 42°C heat and sauna-like humidity, not to mention the appalling and suffocating environmental and air pollution, mountains of rubbish and, er, sanitary problems *, my whole outlook on our climate and environment has shifted and compared to many parts of the world, it's a pleasure to live here.

:)

* It's still a great place though! I'd go back in a heartbeat. The streets smell of incense and spices and the locals treat you like a celebrity, asking for pictures with you and whatnot.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

Since the weather became less mild, the wetter it has been.  Yesterday had just over an inch of rain....two and a quarter inches over the past 7 days....more than we had during the whole of December (SW wind -rain shadow).

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

I don't mean to get personal, Carl, but you often seem very negative about the weather. It can be quite tedious in this country, I admit, but it's important to try not to let it affect your mood (like it did to me a few years back).

Then, after spending time in Calcutta in the 42°C heat and sauna-like humidity, not to mention the appalling and suffocating environmental and air pollution, mountains of rubbish and, er, sanitary problems, my whole outlook on our climate and environment has shifted and compared to many parts of the world, it's a pleasure to live here.*

:)

* It's still a great place though! I'd go back in a heartbeat. The streets smell of incense and spices and the locals treat you like a celebrity, asking for pictures with you and whatnot.

I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, as well as Aspergers Syndrome....sorry if I come across as too negative sometimes, but the way I am "wired" prevents me from having the ability to "polish a turd...or roll it in glitter" I call things as I see them....sorry about that