Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted

The NCEP ens is on the same page as the other anomalies. And out to T360

At least the Azores high is looking subdued here with troughing getting into the continent and it should not be overly mild for the UK.

• Like 1

Posted

For me looking at the models its that wretched azores high causing many of our troubles as is normal with most winters, we've seen many times in winter what an annoying feature this can be especially while there is a portion of the vortex in the vicinity of Greenland it leaves us stuck in the middle, longer term there is some tentative signs the Azores high may sink away but you can't help but wonder how long this could hang around for, hopefully we won't have to bare it for the rest of this month. At this present time the high cannot ridge northwards and it leaves us in an endless cycle of the same pattern, occasional dry dull spells with interspersed periods of rain & rinse and repeat.

The PV is a mess right now, and looks to be continuing to be one but its difficult to see any HLB whilst that Azores high and lobe of the vortex play kiss chase.

ECH1-168.GIF?04-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

the same models that displayed weeks of mild westerly flow for last 3rd od Nov and early Dec.....yep confidence should be high 2-3 weeks ahead.....not. On another note quite cold for such an inoccuous set up

There is no correlation between the two instances. As I have said on several occasions the GFS got it wrong due to happen stance of a Tropical Storm (Nuri) causing mid latitude disruption along with strat down welling. The nature of these storms mean the outcome may not be known till T-120. To blame a model on that error is rather unforgiving. Well of course yin and yang, and now we pay for the consequences of the PV being delayed it's normal cycle, compounded by the fact we reaped no benefit from the consequential meridional flow. Of course we can discount the models and hope things improve but the models are showing what they are showing and we can only debate that. IMO they look more than reasonable in the great scheme of things, with the usual caveats.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Up-to 10 inches (26cm) of snow looks possible in parts of western Scotland the heaviest falls are likely to occur from around 200m though even lower levels could see some snow at times

uk.snow.next3to6days.cc23.jpg

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

For me looking at the models its that wretched azores high causing many of our troubles as is normal with most winters, we've seen many times in winter what an annoying feature this can be especially while there is a portion of the vortex in the vicinity of Greenland it leaves us stuck in the middle, longer term there is some tentative signs the Azores high may sink away but you can't help but wonder how long this could hang around for, hopefully we won't have to bare it for the rest of this month. At this present time the high cannot ridge northwards and it leaves us in an endless cycle of the same pattern, occasional dry dull spells with interspersed periods of rain & rinse and repeat.

The PV is a mess right now, and looks to be continuing to be one but its difficult to see any HLB whilst that Azores high and lobe of the vortex play kiss chase.

ECH1-168.GIF?04-12

indeed the azores high can be troublesome, in summer it keeps us in a westerly unless it displaces.

however, its currently in perhaps the best position it can be for those looking for cold. its latitude in such that we look certain to get several successive polar maritime incursions behind a seriese of cold fronts. it could be milder! and whilst its there, theres always a risk/chance of it ridging north and joining with a greenland high thus thrusting us into a very cold spell.

on the other hand, it might just sink further south and orientate sw/ne ridging towards our south and returning us to mild.

• Like 6

Posted

This would have been a grand day on Ocean Station India 59.00N 19.00W. Pretty innocuous really. Hallelujah, hallelujah

Chart courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-43659300-1417696225_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Good post Frosty.

06Z an upgrade -3 days away - some serious totals possible on the tops in Scotland - prolonged lengths of ppn.

post-6879-0-00730900-1417697846_thumb.pn

Next weeks storm looks even more vicious on the 06Z

post-6879-0-13338100-1417698015_thumb.pn

Ian

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

There is no correlation between the two instances. As I have said on several occasions the GFS got it wrong due to happen stance of a Tropical Storm (Nuri) causing mid latitude disruption along with strat down welling. The nature of these storms mean the outcome may not be known till T-120. To blame a model on that error is rather unforgiving. Well of course yin and yang, and now we pay for the consequences of the PV being delayed it's normal cycle, compounded by the fact we reaped no benefit from the consequential meridional flow. Of course we can discount the models and hope things improve but the models are showing what they are showing and we can only debate that. IMO they look more than reasonable in the great scheme of things, with the usual caveats.

Something similar to what I posted earlier regarding this new typhoon and the impact s it has on the next few weeks of model watching. Is this the case?? I am learning btw lol

Posted

Something similar to what I posted earlier regarding this new typhoon and the impact s it has on the next few weeks of model watching. Is this the case?? I am learning btw lol

Yes. However ECM yesterday spotted that this would not recurve and GFS has now followed suit and it now looks highly unlikely it will head into the mid-latitude. In any case because of the strong jet it was unlikely to disrupt the long wave pattern like Nuri did. So no trigger for a pattern change here unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Posted

I don't see what's so terrible about the long range ensembles. If you look at the NAEFS height anomaly for +144, around 'peak vortex', you can see a negative anomaly right across the pole, strongest at Greenland and in the Northwestern Pacific:

By the end of the run you can see heights over the US starting to transfer northeast towards the mid Atlantic and Western Greenland with basically neutral height anomalies over the pole and the trough to the northwest sinking gradually further south:

This looks broadly in line with expectations of an increasingly -AO as we go into the second half of December with a mean trough over the UK. Of course, at the surface level this pattern could still look similar, at least at first, to what we had last winter, but with the Russian high exerting more influence again and hints of another warming and wave 1 activity in the upper strat., combined with the MJO *potentially* getting into phase 7, I wouldn't necessarily write off the rest of December for more significant cold for all of us (although with an ice warning out tomorrow and a snow warning on Sunday/Monday for Scotland I don't think there's much wrong with the current pattern at all :rofl: ).

the issue with those anomoly charts is that the trend is to link heights to our south. now any positive anomoly at all over europe is going to represent decent heights. there is no progress to cold in any way with positive anomolys to our south. they can of course, retrogress west or be sucked up ne by amplification up or downstream. that also looks unlikely for the time being but as i said earlier, week 2 output looks unconvincing to me.

• Like 1

Posted

Models are only disappointing if you expected a severe Siberian icy blast. Living on our temperate little island we don't get many of those but after the generally warm autumn, a spell of cold zonal weather is just what the doctor ordered..dull, uninspiring, disappointing, run of the mill it ain't..that was October and November in a nutshell. :-)

Liverpool 2m temps and chances of snow: post-14819-0-76516200-1417701950_thumb.g

So at sea level temps look around average with low probability of snow. That pretty much sums anywhere south of Scotland; with the exceptions being the Pennines, Welsh hills and other hills above 400m.

Though as you say miles better than last year with all the good stuff (for cold/snow) keeping us waiting till JFM+.

• Like 1

Posted

the issue with those anomoly charts is that the trend is to link heights to our south. now any positive anomoly at all over europe is going to represent decent heights. there is no progress to cold in any way with positive anomolys to our south. they can of course, retrogress west or be sucked up ne by amplification up or downstream. that also looks unlikely for the time being but as i said earlier, week 2 output looks unconvincing to me.

Yes I note that the models are not really reading the script, so as you say, if they are miss-handling the background signals then all bets are off in week 2.

Highlighted by these composites: https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81904-netweather-winter-forecast-201415-a-cold-hearted-winter/page-6#entry3080443.

That is a big left turn and my untrained eye is struggling to see how this can develop?

Edited by i'm dreaming of...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

What about Reigate hill..?

Anyhow..Models show cold zonal outlook beyond the quieter next few days..some surprise and welcome white stuff on the way and a seasonal feel to things for a change!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Moved a couple of posts into Moans/Ramps..if it ain't here, it's gone in there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

As I have said so many times in the past you can look for cold solutions in the models as much as you like as there will always be some eye candy for coldies somewhere or another in far FI, be it at the Pole the Arctic or Siberia it matters not a jot to the UK as long as that persistent and semi permanent High pressure down to the Azores is maintained and with the Jet strong at the moment rolling over the top it isn't going anywhere fast I'm afraid. Contrary to what some people have been stating here and elsewhere I think the models have changed quite a bit in the last 24-36 hours in as much as gone is the deep Low pressure likely to be at or over the UK towards the early middle part of next week and in it's place is the large High to the SW with pressure hardly falling below 1020mbs across Southern England in the next week to 10 days. That is a big shift in my eyes and this theory is highighted once more on the 6z output. Any cold NW flow in this sort of setup with no deep Low pressure over the UK will be a very watered down affair indeed with bright and dry weather likely in average temperatures alternating with cloudier and milder period as each warm sector passes. On the high ground of Scotland and the North it's a different story of course but unless you live above 400-500mtrs asl of which not many of us do I don't think any excitement can be generated from any output I have seen yet today, but as always with weather in the UK's temperate zone the next set of output released soon might tell a different story...anything's possible.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Just for Frosty  :clapping:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2014120406/graphe3_1000_267_30___.gif

70 %.......It may not happen but a heck of a sight better than the whole of last winter which consisted of ONE sof thail thunder shower  :cray:

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted

As I have said so many times in the past you can look for cold solutions in the models as much as you like as there will always be some eye candy for coldies somewhere or another in far FI, be it at the Pole the Arctic or Siberia it matters not a jot to the UK as long as that persistent and semi permanent High pressure down to the Azores is maintained and with the Jet strong at the moment rolling over the top it isn't going anywhere fast I'm afraid. Contrary to what some people have been stating here and elsewhere I think the models have changed quite a bit in the last 24-36 hours in as much as gone is the deep Low pressure likely to be at or over the UK towards the early middle part of next week and in it's place is the large High to the SW with pressure hardly falling below 1020mbs across Southern England in the next week to 10 days. That is a big shift in my eyes and this theory is highighted once more on the 6z output. Any cold NW flow in this sort of setup with no deep Low pressure over the UK will be a very watered down affair indeed with bright and dry weather likely in average temperatures alternating with cloudier and milder period as each warm sector passes. On the high ground of Scotland and the North it's a different story of course but unless you live above 400-500mtrs asl of which not many of us do I don't think any excitement can be generated from any output I have seen yet today, but as always with weather in the UK's temperate zone the next set of output released soon might tell a different story...anything's possible.

I have highlighted before, from similar recent events, that we need to get to around T-120 before we can have any confidence in that deepening LP system next week. The 06z GEFS highlight a cornucopia of different outcomes:

post-14819-0-30801200-1417703753_thumb.p

This could be argued as a trigger to kickstart the mobile PV pattern from week 2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I have highlighted before, from similar recent events, that we need to get to around T-120 before we can have any confidence in that deepening LP system next week. The 06z GEFS highlight a cornucopia of different outcomes:

attachicon.gifMeteociel_-_Panel_GEFS.png

This could be argued as a trigger to kickstart the mobile PV pattern from week 2.

I wouldn't be confident about what happens at week 2, if you have no confidence past 120 :nea: 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Just a quick summary from me today: the UK looks to see a cold front slip South-Eastwards from the North-West later on today and into tomorrow as the models show a wave feature track Eastwards from the Low Pressure to the North. Colder, clear, air from the North-West will follow behind accompanied by wintry showers. The -5*C 850mb temperatures over North-Western areas tomorrow could allow wintriness to the showers to fall to some lower levels at times, especially if the showers are heavy enough. Further rain likely to spread in from the West late on Saturday and into Sunday morning with another Polar Maritime flow following behind briniging further snow/wintry showers over hills. Again, with -5*C or colder 850mb spreading through most of the country, we could see some sleet and snow from them get pulled down to some lower levels. Worst of the showers likely in North-West, though some could spread through the North Midlands from the Chesire Gap. The models, generally, show a similar sort of picture next week with Atlantic dominated weather looking quite likely. And changeable too. A mixture of less-cold Westerly flows alternating with further cool North-Westerly Polar Maritime flows (especially if High Pressure amplifies to the West) with ridges and troughs at times. Low Pressure mostly concentrated to North with Higher Pressure mostly concentrated to South/South-West with the windiest and wettest conditions over North-Western areas.

• Like 8

Posted

The latest MO update shows no downgrade to the cold zonal outlook and is pretty much as the 6z shows, indeed it's better than the gfs run because there is no hint of anything mild. So we can look forward to cold and windy, showers turning to snow on hills and occasionally down to sea level, gales and heavy rain, sleet & wet snow and frosty nights in quieter interludes..a rather wintry outlook :-)

Indeed it does, I'm still looking for this flatter pattern in the reliable timeframe and if anything we could just as easily get more amplification from the upstream pattern as we move forward this month.

• Like 6