Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Run In To Christmas

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have a question please: the low around the 27th looks different all the time. Will the final placement of it have a major impact on the weather after it, depending where it tracks?

Yes dragan, As i said in my post before last, Until the Models have got a handle on the track of this storm i expect further wild swings. A few miles E/W will make a big difference regarding the outcome further down the line.

As TEITS above says this storm needs to be taken seriously.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Yes Tinyb, Some heavy snow model'd for the South, With sever gales for the UK. 

gfs-14-162.png?0gfs-2-150.png?0

Personally I would love for that chart to verify. extreme weather is right up my alley, blizzards would be a bonus!

• Like 8

Posted

Forget about snow, cold spells as im now more concerned about severe gales and more importantly storm surge for those living on the N Norfolk coast. Now the UKMO is predicting such a storm it must be taken more seriously especially as the next frame of the UKMO would see low pressure move SE and deepen further!

As for the potential cold spell and the ECM/GFSP are nowhere near as good as yesterdays 12Zs for the longer term. However its futile to discuss the longer term when the shorter term remains unresolved.

we all know  what happened  last year here down the east  coast !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I have a question please: the low around the 27th looks different all the time. Will the final placement of it have a major impact on the weather after it, depending where it tracks?

Simple answer is yes, which is why I'm not really looking past that storm at the moment, until there is some consistency in the placement of the low anything past there will flip flop all over the place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Yes Karlos, For weather enthusiasts very interesting indeed, It could be another one of RJS's 'Snow Hurricanes' :smiliz19:

I bet the Express or the prat that writes for them can't wait to jump on this!

• Like 5

Forget about snow

No

;)

I bet the Express or the prat that writes for them can't wait to jump on this!

I think it's this bloke:

royals_houseprices_dementiacures_severestweatherever_maddie @dailyexpressanyrubbishwecanmakeup.co.uk

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 8

Posted

Yes Karlos, For weather enthusiasts very interesting indeed, It could be another one of RJS's 'Snow Hurricanes' :smiliz19:

-8 uppers over the South -10 in the North. And check that Wind Chill out.. :cold:

0]

You mean the 'snow hurricane' that's just windy! great description but normally lacking one key ingredient. actually given that it's never windy enough, probably two!

wouldn't want to be stood out in my undies though!

As nick s posted last evening, upstream is very uncertain. I would be quite confident in calling the ops this morning 'over progressive' but the gefs have not been keen to maintain a mid Atlantic ridge over their past couple runs so I won't. Favoured call would be a short sharp blast of cold followed by either a cool mid lat high or a more zonal westerly with more ridge/troughs to follow. But it never quite works out like that does it..........

• Like 2

Posted

You mean the 'snow hurricane' that's just windy!

That's the one Nick   :D

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

we all know  what happened  last year here down the east  coast !!

If this storm did happen on East coast there is no spring tide due next weekend on the norfolk Coast, in dec 2013 there was. So if the storm happens at low tide it would be nowhere near as much impact or even normal high tide come to that. It will be all in the timing of it.

-8 uppers over the South -10 in the North. And check that Wind Chill out.. :cold:

162-290UK.GIF?21-0162-7UK.GIF?21-0144-7UK.GIF?21-0

Couple of great posts from you this morning. For fans of cold and storms there should be no place for despondence. This could be huge fun. Mind you, I do now live in north Norfolk :) Bring it on.

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The ECM ens still prefer the slower track for that low

EDM1-144.GIF?21-12

GFS ens

gens-21-1-144.png?0

To be honest there might be a northerly following this, but this mornings ens seem to be backing a return to a westerly pattern by New Year.

EDM1-240.GIF?21-12

Big shift from previous ens. It can go the other way but the theme this morning is similar across all the output pretty much.

The ECM suite does perhaps suggest a decent chance of wintry showers down coastal areas on Christmas day, a better chance than the other models anyway.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Oh dear what chaos!

So what solutions to believe, regardless of all the drama theres yet more problems upstream and this is in relation to an expected shortwave expected to run east across the USA between T120 and T144hrs , the models differ in the depth of this and the amplitude and this is now turning into yet another pile of uncertainty.

If you run the GFS P you'll clearly see the impact of this shortwave on the PV in ne Canada, shortwave runs east engages the PV and pulls it further nw, then look at the GFS, weak flat shortwave runs east, then energy piles east into Greenland.

At the same time theres still disagreement with the Atlantic low and shortwave ejection so all in all its to be frank complete chaos, even Christmas and Boxing Day have uncertainty in terms of cold so frustratingly we're just going to have to be patient and wait for agreement!

• Like 5

Posted

It definitely looks like after this short cold snap nothing cold is in the offering just yet. Not sure if this could quickly swing looking at today's charts neither, and definitely no beast from the east showing up in any FI suite. :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

i.e  the people on the east coast will need to keep a eye on this beast with the possible big tidal surge which could come down the east coast  ,and looking at the latest models the east coast could  easy expect  heavy snow on the 27 at the moment

Wont be cold enough {just rain/sleet) meto are forcasting temps around 7c for me on east coast 27th.

Posted

silly comment in my view-will post in more detail tomorrow

i'd be worried if you didn't think it was silly john!

• Like 1

Posted

19 of the 20 GFS ensemble members show LP affecting the UK on the 27th. out of the 20 members 12 Also show the LP to be deep and affect the East Coast the severest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

it appears the models are firming up on the general pattern expected over the next ten days or so...

it turns milder, cloudier, wetter today and that lasts until crimbo eve

post-2797-0-32946800-1419151545_thumb.gi

when this complicated system departs eastward and a temporary ridge builds from the southwest giving us a bright, crisp, cold crimbo day... i guess theres a chance of a snow shower down the eastern exposed coasts but most of us wont get a white crimbo or even see any snow

post-2797-0-35508700-1419151724_thumb.gi post-2797-0-29929400-1419151741_thumb.gi

the ridge collapses as a vigourous and deepening trough 'ejects' (the new buzzword) off the main parent low west of the azores, and crosses the uk, somewhere (timing and severity uncertain but could be a signbificant storm next weekend)

post-2797-0-01848800-1419151863_thumb.gi post-2797-0-57357600-1419151882_thumb.gi

after which we might get a cold snap., blink and youll miss it, after the very cold air thats been locked up to our north finaly gets a shot at a proper southern drift. so next sunday/monday might be a cold snap

post-2797-0-12028400-1419151988_thumb.gi post-2797-0-59658600-1419152451_thumb.gi

before its looking like the atlantic kicks back in for the new year

post-2797-0-34011200-1419152221_thumb.gi

so a very volatile period with dramatic swings between mild and cold, with no one weather type becoming dominant (no big freeze, no endless mildness).

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 7

Posted

read all about it....  read all about it.....  ecm suite in greenland over amplification shock !

ecm ens mean now in line with naefs. cancel the snow event before new year. the pendulum swing on yesterdays 12z was a last hurrah and the direction of travel prior to this (which the gefs and naefs were already on) is resumed.  of course we have a potential winter storm to contend with and possible snow for the scots/northern hills  (not sustained). we could well be looking at a cool and frosty period to follow but a decent snowfall seems a long shot now.

• Like 3

Posted

read all about it....  read all about it.....  ecm suite in greenland over amplification shock !

ecm ens mean now in line with naefs. cancel the snow event before new year. the pendulum swing on yesterdays 12z was a last hurrah and the direction of travel prior to this (which the gefs and naefs were already on) is resumed.  of course we have a potential winter storm to contend with and possible snow for the scots/northern hills  (not sustained). we could well be looking at a cool and frosty period to follow but a decent snowfall seems a long shot now.

Yes disappointing but given the ECM's bias not that much of a shock. The GFS P might be the best possible solution upto T240hrs, still some leeway possible with snow but any ideas of some resilient Greenland block at this point look unlikely. 

Posted

Yes disappointing but given the ECM's bias not that much of a shock. The GFS P might be the best possible solution upto T240hrs, still some leeway possible with snow but any ideas of some resilient Greenland block at this point look unlikely. 

the extended ens ins some agreement now nick and it looks cool zonal with the south closest to building euro heights and scotland to any incursions of really cold air. the scottish ski resorts could be looking at a decent period if everything can be tied down! 

n america still looking amplified so something could crop up out of somewhere.

• Like 2