Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

You're all lucky you get lamposts. My £1850 council tax bill only empties my bins haha

Well plenty to look forward to over the next week.....for all those despairing....where would you rather be, looking at an upcoming cold spell with the possibilty of snow, or where we were last year? I know what I choose!

I wonder whether February will come in with the goods and save the much talked about OPI? It would be a shame for it to be dismissed this early in its life! I don't think anyone would be using it as an indicator next winter if this winter fails to deliver.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

[quote name="suffolkboy_" post="3142331"

I wonder whether February will come in with the goods and save the much talked about OPI? It would be a shame for it to be dismissed this early in its life! I don't think anyone would be using it as an indicator next winter if this winter fails to deliver.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Saturday

post-17424-0-61268400-1422397512_thumb.g

Slack cyclonic flow

Messy sums this up, back on the right side of the 528 dam line.

So showers on longer spells of wintry precipitation likely according to this.

Temperatures - lets go with 2-5C. 

No day 5 chart yet..... surface pattern looks messy and changes every run at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Possible channel low on the GFS. No idea what they are but I think they're good!

• Like 1

Posted

Well plenty to look forward to over the next week.....for all those despairing....where would you rather be, looking at an upcoming cold spell with the possibilty of snow, or where we were last year? I know what I choose!

Indeed.  This time last year I (and many others) were starting to throw in the towel for Winter 2013/14.  Although this Winter so far certainly hasn't been great and I've yet to see any falling snow, it's light years ahead of last year, but that was never going to be too difficult to achieve!

I think it would be too early to write off the OPI as a future indicator, even if February fails to deliver the goods.  Nothing's bullet proof when it comes to weather forecasting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Possible channel low on the GFS. No idea what they are but I think they're good!

It's an area of low pressure which runs or slides through the English channel, this results in heavy snowfall along the northern flank which is usually the best scenario for southern counties of England.

Day 5 (Sunday)

post-17424-0-98508900-1422398086_thumb.p

Light to moderate northerly

True Arctic air is establishing itself, again more disturbances running south giving the chance of heavy snow showers which could organise into a more prolonged band of snow. 

Temperatures- 1-3C 

• Like 1

Channel lows are like the gold of winter..

But are the biggest pain in the ass when your 2-5 miles too far north of the ppn.

As captain said the best way other than thames streamers and a stinking easterly we can get snow.

But some fantastic upgrades tonight for snow chances showers or longer spells nationwide.

Goodnight all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I despise channel lows. Give me a Thames Streamer any day. Not being around in the 80's I've grown up with channel lows bringing nothing but rain for South of the M4

Posted

It looks bitterly cold from Sunday onwards and potentially quite snowy, with the added stuff before the 'deep cold'. Ian mentions 2cm possible in southern counties where exactly will get these showers is hard to pinpoint.

Based on 12z GFS for Thursday

post-19153-0-81911500-1422398707_thumb.j

Amounting to a respectable 1.2cm Cobra? :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It looks bitterly cold from Sunday onwards and potentially quite snowy, with the added stuff before the 'deep cold'. Ian mentions 2cm possible in southern counties where exactly will get these showers is hard to pinpoint.

Based on 12z GFS for Thursday

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Amounting to a respectable 1.2cm Cobra? :rofl:

18z GFS will update on Xc after 11pm. Might get a upgrade hehe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

the channel low of march 2013 was an absolute stonker for me,but a long way off the nov 2010 event wnich was unbelievable,never seen snow come down that thick,think it snowed non-stop for 36hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

the channel low of march 2013 was an absolute stonker for me,but a long way off the nov 2010 event wnich was unbelievable,never seen snow come down that thick,think it snowed non-stop for 36hrs.

Yep 2010 was the most snow I'd ever seen, just over a foot of level snow by the time the streamer had finally died, still remember falling asleep whilst it was snowing and being surprised to wake up the next morning to see the snow was still going

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

You're all lucky you get lamposts. My £1850 council tax bill only empties my bins haha

My council tax pays for my local Morris dancers,  :shok: An exciting few days ahead of us, with good potential

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well I would say(with a pinch of salt lol) that we could be on for a 7-10 day cold spell for the UK(possibly longer) with snow chances higher for the SE than at anytime this winter. I know snow is a bu--er to forecast and it will come down to looking maybe 6-12 hrs before the"event" but all 3 models tonight are starting to show Heights to the North which is what we need to establish cold spell. There is even the possibility of weather coming from the East which is what really could deliver the goods!!Hold onto your Hats and please let this not be another false dawn!!

Fingers crossed people!!

• Like 2

Posted

The channel low trundles off into france anyways

This is correct but often you see changes in the northern extent that could be N or S in personal experience N shift is more common, which makes model watching fun.

Posted

Forget what might happen in the next few days, when its in the range of euro4 etc maybe we can ramp a little. In the mean time there is potential in the next 36 hours for the west of the region at the very least  but anything could happen, i think there could be a few suprises. All eyes on euro4 and radar tomorrow afternoon for those of us who have not seen a flake for two years.

15012906_2712.gif

Posted

18z GFS will update on Xc after 11pm. Might get a upgrade hehe

Haha I have :hi:

using my mathematics

post-19153-0-27668000-1422401061_thumb.j

1.9cm blimey increase of +0.7cm compared to 12z

probably not going to be true we'll see :)

Posted

This will put a smile on the faces of those who live in N parts of E Anglia.

Latest Euro4

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2015/01/27/basis18/ukuk/prty/15012912_2718.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Latest Euro4

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2015/01/27/basis18/ukuk/prty/15012912_2718.gif

& Those a little further South & East, that looks good for Bucks/Oxon. ;) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Latest Euro4

I wonder if that line of precip will make to the London area Dave . Looks on track!!

Posted

Haha I have :hi:

using my mathematics

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

1.9cm blimey increase of +0.7cm compared to 12z

probably not going to be true we'll see :)

If your taking GFS precipitation totals seriously let alone from 2 days out and the pub run! !! You should expect to be very disapointed.

• Like 5