Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Bright and sunny in Greenlaw, was a bit wet and windy yesterday but nothing extreme. Currently just sitting below 6'C and it feels cold though the sun still has some warmth in it (through glass).

Posted

Big rumble of thunder there and now heavy wet snow could be considered Thundersnow a bit higher.. Yes if with this airmass Eastern parts can actually have nice days..

That's over us now (no rumbles) but quite dark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Sleety here in central Edinburgh too - looks like those low Atlantic SSTs are having an impact already as I genuinely can't remember a setup like this delivering this early in the season (when I say delivering, obviously it's not lying in most places but even getting falling snow would've been a push from this for most of the winters I can remember even in January)

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

been shocked with the amount of snow has fell here in west lothian. was expecting sleet but not full heavy snow!

im finding it hard to understand the charts for when it snow so if someone who has more brains than me lol can tell whats the forcast for snow wise and cold in my location

:D

Sleety here in central Edinburgh too - looks like those low Atlantic SSTs are having an impact already as I genuinely can't remember a setup like this delivering this early in the season (when I say delivering, obviously it's not lying in most places but even getting falling snow would've been a push from this for most of the winters I can remember even in January)

Will the cold pool out in the Atlantic have that much of an influence if there's also a huge warm SST anomaly around us? Any air coming off the cold pool has to cross between 500 and 600 miles of warmer Atlantic to reach us. Even at 30mph that's up to 20 hours over warmer seas.

anomnight.11.12.2015.gif

Posted

Sleety here in central Edinburgh too - looks like those low Atlantic SSTs are having an impact already as I genuinely can't remember a setup like this delivering this early in the season...

Absolutely Lomand Snowstorm hills round here are white to below 1000feet usually it falls from 3000feet in stages as systems get colder over a few weeks but to see it so low all at once is unusual. My grass seed man came up the A9 this morning. Left home  20 milessouth of Glasgow at 11c fell to -1c at Blair Atholl and didn"t rise over 0c until Aviemore ,quite impressed with the snow he saw too. Currently 3.8c here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Surprised that so many of you are seeing sleet, never mind snow. Doesn't look like the temperatures are low enough for it, well not as low as we'd normally expect them to need to be. As LS says, encouraging for the rest of the winter.

Posted

Heavy snow here in Aviemore currently, wasn't expecting it to be falling quite so low here either, so definitely something a bit different happening. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi everyone, time to join in the thread again as we get ready for another winter !

That band that crossed through the lothians brought sleet and hail that turned to heavy wet snow here and covered cars in slush and my weather station temp dropped down to 2.0c. Quite impressive considering how mild it's been lately.

Posted

Snow on Argyll hills, reports of snow in upper Port Glasgow this morning and noticed sleet this morning as well in Paisley at town centre level.

Posted

Clearly carol was a bit far fetched when she said showers would turn wintry at 400m this morning, its almost come down to sea level!

3° and sleety with snow bands over the ochils, snow line 100m above my head or so. Lying snow at 500 though.

Posted

Incredible change from almost spring warmth to the cold of today (I know it won't last) but still nice to see

Posted

The Pentlands had a good dusting when I was leaving Penicuik about an hour ago. I believe there was some here in Peebles as well but it had stopped by the time I got back. Temps reading at 1c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Even some snowflakes here in Dundee in a heavier shower earlier. Snow falling and lying this morning at 9AM at our house in Aberfeldy, Perthshire. Temp there at the time was 0.8C.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Will the cold pool out in the Atlantic have that much of an influence if there's also a huge warm SST anomaly around us? Any air coming off the cold pool has to cross between 500 and 600 miles of warmer Atlantic to reach us. Even at 30mph that's up to 20 hours over warmer seas.

anomnight.11.12.2015.gif

I take your point, I think today's set up was about as perfect as you'd get as far as maximising the SST anomalies because the air is sourced from the cold pool and only briefly travels over the above average patch, at a point where it's only around 0.5C above average anyway:

gfs-0-6.png?6

If the source was more directly Arctic based or continental then you would expect a more significant moderation of the airmass, and to be fair there was a fair amount of moderation anyway, but because you're starting off with sub 510dm thicknesses at our latitude then it's still going to be more like a genuine Arctic airmass than an Atlantic one:

gfs-3-6.png?6

While January 1984 had colder SSTs between Iceland and Scandinavia, it was pretty similar in terms of profile due west:

January.84.anomaly.gif

• Like 3

Posted

I think some may of underestimated slightly the upper air temps, there is very small pools of uppers of around -5 that briefly hit the Northern areas today so some wintriness even at lower levels is not all that surprising really. 

Too me, the uppers are slightly colder than some runs suggested quite a few days ago so a rare event of upper air temps being colder nearer the time. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The next couple of bands of precipitation look a bit more organised so I wonder if they will make it across the Cairngorms this time? It'd be interesting to see if we get the snow/sleet mix, or just plain rain (I suspect the latter).