Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

Good Morning!

It really has been a poor winter "snow" wise for us , We have about 5 -6 weeks left for it to turn around and hopefully give us something to enjoy! otherwise it will be a pretty rubbish 2015-2016 winter       :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Next weekend looks like our next snow interest point, cold PM shot with uppers around -6/7c on a very strong W/NW wind. Something we saw alot of last winter and some areas did surprisingly well.

144-7UK.GIF?24-12

Rather marginal for low ground but depending on the time of day and precip this could easily change. @Winter Cold didn't you see a significant fall of snow from a PM flow last winter?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
7 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Next weekend looks like our next snow interest point, cold PM shot with uppers around -6/7c on a very strong W/NW wind. Something we saw alot of last winter and some areas did surprisingly well.

144-7UK.GIF?24-12

Rather marginal for low ground but depending on the time of day and precip this could easily change. @Winter Cold didn't you see a significant fall of snow from a PM flow last winter?

Hey. Yes I did, just checked. Was 29th Jan, got a good 6 inches plus off that one. That was the day a streamer set up and we had a great morning of heavy snowfall. As you say, a little marginal lower down as it started to melt in Sheff centre later in the day but we did well up here.

I agree with your thoughts, next weekend has shown to be a decent cold shot for a few days now, so lets hope we can count it down!! :)

Then we need these thoughts an expectations to come true for Feb dont we ;):cold:

Posted

@Winter Cold Heres the chart for the 29th Jan last year. Not to dissimilar to the above chart.

15-7UK.GIF?

The GFS op and control offer some cold from the North into early Feb although ECM is having none of it, although the NH pattern looks to be improving somewhat. Il leave the MJO, SSW and AAM mumbo jumbo to the pros and stick to my snow forecasting and chasing :)

• Like 1

Posted
On 23/01/2016 at 10:54 AM, LeeSnowFan said:

Good Morning!

It really has been a poor winter "snow" wise for us , We have about 5 -6 weeks left for it to turn around and hopefully give us something to enjoy! otherwise it will be a pretty rubbish 2015-2016 winter       :wallbash:

Probably the worst winter i can remember. Looking back through my albums I have at least seen two good snow events each winter. Although we had that snow the other week, it rapidly melted.

Although my expectations are still tainted by the amazing winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11

2009/10

100_1903.thumb.JPG.11b99c8f933c85af3ea57100_1908.thumb.JPG.e99bb852c72d38bff4393100_1917.thumb.JPG.a58c6935c3dc05448dfd8100_1928.thumb.JPG.d80609e9a4d3d3fd667b7100_1943.thumb.JPG.a4b9778acdc0b46549c80100_1947.thumb.JPG.15cdd5116dab17c292c05

And the most beautiful of all, 2010/11..

178.thumb.JPG.e5d7e8a08d80300ce19d17c0a4162.thumb.JPG.1b0ddf6514563ff0337e09d087166.thumb.JPG.a96c98196435c0543626e36134167.thumb.JPG.722c7e740c72f9e8a9c451a0bf169.thumb.JPG.f98420217342fe5ef51172a5ab170.thumb.JPG.cb72d1fd15e78c50ef2b6decba171.thumb.JPG.1bdc080aba934a03155d3f9286173.thumb.JPG.028fd4225418f08a93418a5550174.thumb.JPG.e63ab7a73779b7cdeba3eee91f

Still, we have February and March to redeem this dismal winter. I've witnessed decent snow events up and till April in my area, although sadly as we progress towards the back end of Feb and into March snow cover retention becomes ever more difficult 

• Like 2

Posted

A dry and mild start, with a very light breeze. The day remained dry, cloudy and warm with a stronger wind getting up around mid to late afternoon.

Max Temp 13.9C

Min Temp 10.1C

Wind Gust 23mph Sou' Sou' Westerly

Wind Average 10.7mph Sou' Westerly

Barometer 1010mb Rising

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Remains of an old squall line giving an unexpected heavy burst of rain.

Posted
5 hours ago, Mark Bayley said:

Probably the worst winter i can remember. Looking back through my albums I have at least seen two good snow events each winter. Although we had that snow the other week, it rapidly melted.

Although my expectations are still tainted by the amazing winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11

I'm also trying to remain positive, there's always a lot of talk about as we get into Feb/March snow not hanging around for very long due to the increasing strength of the Sun. This of course is true but my fascination with snow has always been when its falling, to me its the best part, whether it be lampost watching or out driving watching it in the headlights, of course I enjoy it sticking around for a while but I'd still be very happy to see a 12 hours of heavy snow fall outside my window even if it was to melt 24 hours later.

Just looking back on similar winters I'l always remember winter 07/08 which in York we saw no snowfall throughout the winter months, however on the 23rd March (easter Sunday) we saw a short potent Northerly toppler that dropped around 3 inches of snow.

archivesnh-2008-3-23-0-0.pngPicy-0048.thumb.jpg.8c66e86caa4e51530cf8

• Like 1

Posted

Can someone write a script which displays the posts per hour on the MOD thread please? This will give a much better guide to an upcoming cold spell without me having to read any incomprehensible posts. Last night there were two one after the other that said "Winter's Over" and "Snowy February"!

Anyway... just had a very mild and muddy Cub camp, the only snowballs we had were made of rolled up newspaper.

• Like 2

Posted

Lack of activity here shows apart from the wind not a lot happened here today.  Not tremendously windy either 54mph max.

Posted

A mainly dry day with just some light rain after lunch, although it was quite windy at times.

Max Temp 12.8C

Min temp 5.2C

Wind Gust 27.9mph West Sou' Westerly

Wind Average 19mph West Nor' Westerly

Rainfall 0.2mm

Barometer 994mb Rising

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Lack of activity here shows apart from the wind not a lot happened here today.  Not tremendously windy either 54mph max.

Was pretty gusty though PIT. Some good speeds recorded higher up. High Bradfield at 77mph. Like you say though, the only thing worth mentioning atm :(

Posted

A wet start to the day with early morning rain, which didn't last too long. It then remained dry for the rest of the day, but quite windy at times.

Max Temp 14.3C @11.03am

Min Temp 6.4C @5.20pm

Wind Gust 26.5mph Sou' Sou' Easterly

Wind Average 13.3mph Sou' Sou' Westerly

Rainfall 1.6mm

Barometer 1004mb Rising

Posted

Well ive just listened to Paul Hudson on Look North saying 'nothing whatsoever wintry in the outlook'........ !!!!!!

WHAT????????

Has he not seen the model trends over the last few days, plus this mornings ECM 0z and just now the stonking 12z!?

No clue why hes said that, he must watch the models, plus get all the conferences and info from the METO same as Ian F does..

Next week is looking quite good for Yorkshire if this trend keeps up :):cold:

Posted

Well Saturdays cold and wet by day but no snow forecast the rest mild. ECM. 6 days before anything that maybe cold if it turns up as it's that far out . Since he won't be looking beyond the weekend and referring to Snow which what the question was asking for he was basically correct.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
23 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

Well ive just listened to Paul Hudson on Look North saying 'nothing whatsoever wintry in the outlook'........ !!!!!!

WHAT????????

Has he not seen the model trends over the last few days, plus this mornings ECM 0z and just now the stonking 12z!?

No clue why hes said that, he must watch the models, plus get all the conferences and info from the METO same as Ian F does..

Next week is looking quite good for Yorkshire if this trend keeps up :):cold:

Maybe he owns the GFS and swears by it? Still a long way to go WC and ECM has over amplified a few times this winter, a mid point could be met between GFS and ECM which could be cold but crap for snow, if UKMO starts to draw it in and then eventually onto the hi res models then I will fix my security light :p

Posted
24 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well Saturdays cold and wet by day but no snow forecast the rest mild. ECM. 6 days before anything that maybe cold if it turns up as it's that far out . Since he won't be looking beyond the weekend and referring to Snow which what the question was asking for he was basically correct.

3 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Maybe he owns the GFS and swears by it? Still a long way to go WC and ECM has over amplified a few times this winter, a mid point could be met between GFS and ECM which could be cold but crap for snow, if UKMO starts to draw it in and then eventually onto the hi res models then I will fix my security light :p

Haha, OK you two, ill keep quiet for now then :p

I suppose im  just desperate now for something decent to arrive :cold:

Posted
1 minute ago, Winter Cold said:

Haha, OK you two, ill keep quiet for now then :p

I suppose im  just desperate now for something decent to arrive :cold:

Not far been doing this model watching for 10 years, been here too many times, I don't even tell the missus about the snow until its within 72 hours. Fingers crossed tho, there is still time for Feb to salvage this "winter" :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Squally shower rattling through now...

Jury is out as to whether the ECM cold will arrive next week.  Still confident that we will have seen at least one decent snow event before the end of February though!  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

A dry morning with a cool wind , while the afternoon remained mostly dry, with just a light shower.

Max Temp 8.2C @11.50am

WindChill Temp 6.7C

Min Temp 2.9C

Wind Gust 21mph West Sou' Westerly

Wind Average 10,3mph Sou' Westerly

Rainfall 0.4mm

Barometer 1012mb Falling

Posted

A cloudy and wet start with strong gusts throughout the morning. The afternoon saw less cloud and some suneshine for a short while, Still quite windy tho'

Max temp 11.5C @ 04.50am

Wind Chill temp 8.6C

Min Temp 8.1C @ 6.43pm

Wind Gust 35mph West Nor' Westerly

Wind Average 13.9mph Sou' Westerly

Rainfall 2.2mm

Barometer 1005mb Falling

Posted

Just had a look through the University of Yorks weather station archive and out of the 60 days of winter so far, 32 days have had a max into double figures, really astonishing figures :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Showers seem to be firing up across the region now.  Could be a little bit of the white stuff later.  

Seems to be a beefy shower just North of Leeds at the moment in fact...