Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia, Weather Chat...July 1st 2015...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I can't see much happening further inland now. Just plain old rain.

Posted

Curiously, I can't seem to tie up observed flashes do with blitzortung. Does blitzortung only register certain types of lightning?

I was thinking the same. I've been looking at lightningmaps.org but none of the strikes here are showing up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I think if its a high based storm it has difficulty in registering it as the lightning is happening so high up,some of these storms are in excess of 55,000ft,i could be wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I think if its a high based storm it has difficulty in registering it as the lightning is happening so high up,some of these storms are in excess of 55,000ft,i could be wrong

I would expect the opposite to be the case. Higher lightning would have a greater chance of being in the line of sight of the detectors. The lower the lightning the less chance of it being detected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

It seems to pick up the cloud to ground strikes alright and ground to cloud so not sure,im sure someone with much more knowledge will explain all,i hope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

recorded 20mins of footage of the storm as it came over Ashford 

BE WARNED 7:24 scared me to death that's why I swore a bit 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDlhAaFWEfs

• Like 1

Posted

its  pouring down  well its a bank holiday!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

15.5c not much wind.

Looking dull wet, moderate rain without being to heavy so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I checked the Blitzortung site this morning and thought my laptop was stuck on last night's image! Here's the screen grab from 08.30 this morning and the storms are still trundling and rumbling their way along the Sussex and Kent coastline! 

Mon 08.30 post-20040-0-09562100-1441006360_thumb.j

Following VillagePlank's question about how Blitzortung picked up lightning I too wanted to know the answer and found the following info:

The process is simple (well, sort of). Let's say there's a thunderstorm over Dallas and a brilliant bolt of lightning strikes the center of the city. Most (if not all) of the detectors nearby sense the bolt. Depending on how many sensors detected the bolt, the system can triangulate the location of the lightning to within a few hundred to a few thousand feet of where it struck, and it plots the point on a map.

Each lightning strike is marked with a white expanding circle. The locations of the stations involved with the computation are visualized by green and blue lines. The blue lines are pointing to the stations whose information is definitely used. These are at most 12 of the nearest stations. The green lines are pointing to the stations that also have received the strike. The delay is usually between 3 and 6 seconds. If the storm is more than 2 km away, it can be seen earlier on the map as the thunder is heard. 

post-20040-0-28976300-1441006700_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Or for NE France more likely as per usual!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

No thunder here, just steady heavy rain. It's looking a bit floody again. Only 15c, well it is autumn after all. The Notting Hill Carnival must be a bit messy and this year there is rain to add to the mix too. :D Back to school tomorrow. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

An awful end to a fairly awful month, pouring rain all morning in London

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Pouring rain all morning in Herts. Cold dark & miserable.

When your suffering the holiday blues like me this grotty British Weather makes it 10 times worse.

August bank Holiday Monday 2015 feels like a November Autumn day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Yep steady rain here in NW Kent for about 2 hours and a stunning temperature of 14.7!!.Another day off work for me(that's 3.5 days lost out of last 6).Can't remember losing so much time in August for many years(am a gardener for a living)..Fed up not earning. Even our King Charles Cavalier looks peed off as she hates the rain and just staring out the window watching it lol!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Yep steady rain here in NW Kent for about 2 hours and a stunning temperature of 14.7!!.Another day off work for me(that's 3.5 days lost out of last 6).Can't remember losing so much time in August for many years(am a gardener for a living)..Fed up not earning. Even our King Charles Cavalier looks peed off as she hates the rain and just staring out the window watching it lol!!

Hey Hotspur,

My 2 Miniature Schnauzers are the same. Took them out earlier & the look on their faces.. We were back indoors within 5 minutes.

It really is rotten out there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

An absolutely dire day, the journey back to Chatteris marred by a mix of heavy traffic and hold ups on both the A47 and A11, coupled with near torrential rain between Norwich and Thetford.

This summer has really finished on a bum note, to think if the pattern was a couple of hundred miles north we would have had a hot and humid weekend with thunderstorms. In a way this weekend has summed up the frustration of this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Horrible all day, then the rain stopped, a cold wind followed then heavy drizzle. I was in a jumper and big coat and still felt cold, was hoping for something thundery but no.

At least the warming chicken in cider i had was most needed.