Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 02/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

As others have said early this morning, decent enough plume event but if you compare it to the beasts we used to get in the 1980's this once again fell very short.

Would rate it as a 2/10 though so at last some Uk Lightning.

Those Plumes in the 1980's would last for 6 hours solid, this one about 2 hours and 4 seperate cells.

Nice to see all the same but nothing worth shouting about!

It pretty much fired a blank here too :pardon:

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

We had a few rumbles around 4am but mostly torrential rain

Posted

As others have said early this morning, decent enough plume event but if you compare it to the beasts we used to get in the 1980's this once again fell very short.

Those Plumes in the 1980's would last for 6 hours solid, this one about 2 hours and 4 seperate cells.

very much agree,  last night was a corker for many, just like the plumes of the 70's and 80's but was a bit of a let down in the west , it was the usual eastwards shift that seems to happen most times recent years,  , despite the fact the west was supposed to get the crackers as per meto and BBC graphics,  wales was meant to do well , bu the lightning  looked quite sparse on and scattered compared to eastern england,  the nw was just a few 'thundery showers' but cant complain as we got a almost supercell display on wedenesday , but judging by the comments, the midlands storm even topped that for lightning frequencies ,  yes its been a blast from the past this week regarding thundery activity for the uk, lets hope we are going back to that era,  

Edited by IanR
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Just as a quick spirit-liftener for those who missed out last night. The NetWx model and the GFS are showing some widespread moderate instability both at the surface and at the mid-levels, tomorrow afternoon. This will probably be one of those south-westerly, sunshine and thundery showers type days:

attachicon.gifCAPE.png attachicon.gifML.png attachicon.gifLapse.png attachicon.gif700wind.png

We know how that will pan out...won't get going until the showers move inland to the east!! That's what usually happens on a typical showery airstream...still a chance is better than nothing I guess... Edited by Chris K

Posted

Just as a quick spirit-liftener for those who missed out last night. The NetWx model and the GFS are showing some widespread moderate instability both at the surface and at the mid-levels, tomorrow afternoon. This will probably be one of those south-westerly, sunshine and thundery showers type days:

attachicon.gifCAPE.png attachicon.gifML.png attachicon.gifLapse.png attachicon.gif700wind.png

Some very tired folk around here i bet after last nights pyrotechnics. :laugh:

Fax chart for tomorrow has a trough slapped through the middle of the country,so at least

keeps the interest going.

post-2839-0-21454400-1435998340_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

As a storm starved South east Londoner last nights three hours of storms really got the pulse racing.

Looking at the radar loop and lightning returns it appears for once this part was really in a sweet spot,as developments were explosive right over this part of the world,10 miles South of me and the cells were quite tame.

No more moans from me about the South East London storm shield ;-)

Seriously spoilt by cracking storms in Hastings as a child and in later life,i have found life in this part of London storm wise dissapointing in comparison,last nights Hastings 'bust' and Londons cracking display re-adressed my mood somewhat.

However, in the cold light of day,on the storm scale i would put this on in my lifetime of SouthEast England thunderstorms in 41yrs would be a 6/10.

The resonably high score down to the super frequency of all lightning types.

The thunder although rumbling constantly only included one 'shotgun' house rattler and a couple more close booms.rain,although convective and occasionaly heavy was nothing of note,no hail,no squally winds.

So in summary,very pleasing but have seen much better.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

So a few rumbles on Wednesday, and a few rumbles last night. Pretty poor really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Morning all.

Nothing here but distant flashes last night.

After the mauling Bournemouth took lsst night, does the place still exist?

Posted

re the comments about the storms not lasting as long as in the 80's. I am really puzzled by this, I can remember them back to the 60's and other than possibly a couple of times I honestly cannot recall storms lasting for more than 45m to 70m in any storm I have witnessed in the UK. Of course I have only briefly lived south of the Trent so maybe that is the reason?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Well I for one quite enjoyed last night haven't had a storm like that here since around 2006.

Lots of lightning and rain, for nearly 2 hours!

Job done on to the next now hopefully!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, heavy snowfall or crisp sunny frosty days

About 30 seconds of heavy rain, 1 flash and 1 rumble last night. Oh well, thats 1 more than we saw Wednesday  :rolleyes:

Posted

re the comments about the storms not lasting as long as in the 80's. I am really puzzled by this, I can remember them back to the 60's and other than possibly a couple of times I honestly cannot recall storms lasting for more than 45m to 70m in any storm I have witnessed in the UK. Of course I have only briefly lived south of the Trent so maybe that is the reason?

Well I can honestly say John you needed to be living in the SE in the 1980's then, hope your not confusing my comment when I say 6 hours, that was the whole plume, so we would get 30 minutes of severe lightning, hail etc, then a 15 minute break and then the booming from the next cell, each individual cell would last about 30 minutes but the way they were stacked up vertically meant it went on from 10pm until 4am on most occasions.

Proper plumes back in those days, not had anything remotely close in this country probably since the 1990's

Only 110,000 lightning strikes covering the whole of England, but only a 2/10?

Yep, only a 2/10 for my location NOT the Uk in total, this was not a big plume compared to years gone by for down here, 5 close Cg's and lots of elevated rumbles, no hail, torrential rain for probably 10 minutes.

Not really knock you off your feet stuff really

• Like 1

Posted

In your opinion of course. :)

For me last nights  light show was the best I have seen, not the loudest storm or longest lasting but still very good for the UK, and I remember the 80s too(born in 1965) :)

Posted

In your opinion of course. :)

For me last nights  light show was the best I have seen, not the loudest storm or longest lasting but still very good for the UK, and I remember the 80s too(born in 1965) :)

Lol 

And I grew up in Romford from 1981 until 1999 so there you go, and was absolutely gobsmacked at some of those storms from the 80's.

Amazing what we remember eh ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Nearly 4 hours of lightning last night, with long periods of continuous flashes. One very bright/loud overhead strike tripped the power. Later in the night there was what looked like a surface based storm(?) to my east that produced a spectacular display of orange forked lightning that lit up the misty landscape, while flashes high up silhouetted the clouds. Must admit I thought the east would be too capped again last night, so was quite surprised to see lightning while driving back home. As far as coverage this must have been one of the best plumes of recent years I would have thought.

Edited by poseidon
  • Like 1

Posted

Certainly the early storm that moved N from Bournemouth through Salisbury was extremely intense with constant lightning. Just grazed to the E of here but the most intense UK storm I have seen for a while.

I do believe there are a few bits of selective memory and rose tinted spectacles on here this morning.

• Like 2

Posted

Anyway not going to get drawn into a arguement over how good the storms were last night, just pleased the lightning gods shared it about a bit after this weeks heat and humidity, if you thought it was the best ever then great, if not thats your opinion, some have a bigger thresh-hold than others I guess when they are thinking about severe storms.

Cant wait for the next lot

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

even shropshire did well in the eighties

I have lived in Shropshire all my life (39 years) and i remember some right 'humdingers' but there as been a massive decline in this neck of the woods.  Something has changed as Shropshire just keeps missing out. One thing that you can guarantee round here is stratus clouds ask conor123 lol!! 

Posted

Lol 

And I grew up in Romford from 1981 until 1999 so there you go, and was absolutely gobsmacked at some of those storms from the 80's.

Amazing what we remember eh ?

Maybe when we were much younger things 'seemed' bigger and better? Anyway maybe I was just lucky last night, by being in the right area, tis only my own opinion of course , but that's how I will remember it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Looking forward is there anything looking interesting over the next few days? Already 22-23c here and still quite humid no sign of anything for now though