Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted

The band of heavy rain took it time getting to Warminster in Wiltshire

No it didn't, the front edge raced to here from mid Cornwall at about 150 miles in 3 hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very heavy rain driving up the M5 to work this morning but no thunder here in Aztec West.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Nothing directly overhead for us early this morning but I did got to see a discrete cell flash by about 40km to the north of us.

Then I was so tired (long day yesterday) that I fell asleep and missed a good storm squeeze past to our west. Missed us by about 20km I reckon... Pah!

Huge storms out at sea near Italy - and again were on the border of the risk area for the rest of today but I'll keep one eye on the clouds today (and the other on all the delicious food and wine!).

Fingers crossed I'll get my first tropical European storm some day soon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Nothing directly overhead for us early this morning but I did got to see a discrete cell flash by about 40km to the north of us.

Then I was so tired (long day yesterday) that I fell asleep and missed a good storm squeeze past to our west. Missed us by about 20km I reckon... Pah!

Huge storms out at sea near Italy - and again were on the border of the risk area for the rest of today but I'll keep one eye on the clouds today (and the other on all the delicious food and wine!).

Fingers crossed I'll get my first tropical European storm some day soon!

it might be better to post in the european weather threads to save a confusion.......you've already caught me out more than once the past couple of days with me thinking there's rogue storms about nearby only to remember that you're down on the Med  :laugh:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

it might be better to post in the european weather threads to save a confusion.......you've already caught me out more than once the past couple of days with me thinking there's rogue storms about nearby only to remember that you're down on the Med  :laugh:

LoL sorry!

Is there a European storm reports thread?

Might stop anyway cos I need to remember I'm on holiday, not on a storm chase... ;-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Oops, it's been archived.....I'll start another on for you.....hang on a sec

Posted

Notice the weather saying that this thundery/humid air due to push up here by friday but the charts don't look all that exciting (possibly some fun and games to come though down south for thursday)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Well, no thunder in the occasionally torrential rain here today which was a shame but it certainly was a treat to see some proper continual torrential rain for once! Wednesday night is the one to watch as a low swings in from the SE off the continent with some humid air, some quite big instability showing with some heavy/thundery rain and thunderstorms a high possibility!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Just had a very hefty shower that produced one solitary rumble of deep thunder here in Manchester.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A decent amount of lightning running across Yorkshire/N England currently. Possibility of some sparks further south along that narrow line of showers, although north looks best.

Posted

Well thank you Thor for that lovely birthday present! Should have a video up in a bit! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some nice drizzle and light rain here earlier with the cold front. What fun!

Posted

Meto Group going for storms in the South on Thursday. I find their app very accurate, think it is ECM generated. 

post-2036-0-07492300-1439213307_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Meto Group going for storms in the South on Thursday. I find their app very accurate, think it is ECM generated. 

attachicon.gifphoto.PNG

Potentially disruptive amounts of rainfall look possible for the southern half of the UK this Thursday and into Friday. Certainly one to watch. ECM going for 2"+ quite widely.

• Like 1

Posted

Potentially disruptive amounts of rainfall look possible for the southern half of the UK this Thursday and into Friday. Certainly one to watch. ECM going for 2"+ quite widely.

Indeed. NMM is showing the main event with regards to lightning being Wednesday night into Thursday for the southern half of the UK but then the main event for rain on Thursday/Friday. Some large rainfall totals if that came off and certainly the risk of flooding.

MLCAPE for Wednesday evening into early hours of Thursday

post-2719-0-19328700-1439214964_thumb.pn  post-2719-0-26343000-1439214969_thumb.pn

Precipitation for mid afternoon Thursday. Still some thunder likely in it by this point but less though than Wednesday night on the NMM latest run.

post-2719-0-35974800-1439214976_thumb.pn

Precipitation rate shows 70mm per hour. This rain moves SE to NW and lasts a while so as Nick says easily 2" plus.

post-2719-0-10525100-1439214986_thumb.pn

Caveat being it is all a distance away though in terms of timescales.

• Like 3

Posted

The thunderstorm before:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

A decent amount of lightning running across Yorkshire/N England currently. Possibility of some sparks further south along that narrow line of showers, although north looks best.

And I'm here in Limousin in my bikini top and shorts working in the garden and inside alternately under cloudless blue skies and a temp of 28c - typical, but I wouldn't swap it for the world!

• Like 1

Posted

And I'm here in Limousin in my bikini top and shorts working in the garden and inside alternately under cloudless blue skies and a temp of 28c - typical, but I wouldn't swap it for the world!

I wouldn't want to swap either. Over the course of an average summer I would say France gets far more storms than the UK and better ones at that. Of course on occasion the UK does do better but it is rare. I remember you were in the UK on the 1st July which has been the best day for storms this year so far in the UK, at least for me and certainly in Yorkshire (if you can call supercells with golf ball hail over your house "best").

• Like 1