Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 1 September 2015 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think the BBC and most other UK-based forecasting outfits tend to go for the slightly higher-end risk in their forecasts, ie. a day most likely to have small and isolated thundery showers is likely to be forecast as 'possible thunderstorms' and even a slight risk of severe weather is usually accompanied by a 'chance of super cellular storms' tag line.

I guess it could be that I don't consider a 'thunderstorm' to be just a few flashes and bangs (hence I don't even consider my name to be a true thunderstorm). A proper thunderstorm should have far more activity than that, but I think UK forecasters tend to play-up the potential - and we all know it generally works the other way round in this part of the world ;-)

Not a dig at forecasters I hope you understand, more an observation I've made. It's open to interpretation of course :-D

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I mentioned a couple of days ago the disturbed clouds not far from Melton Mowbray, very near the village of Frisby. This thunderstorm that went on to produce a tornado near to Old Dalby just 2-3 miles further north. This is a speeded up video of the storm as it approached.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Even estofex issued a level 2 alert for the south east and northern france

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Just seen on facebook that reed timmer has posted about a tornado in northern france this afternoon

Posted

"potentially" some thunderstorms for the south tomorrow?

nmmuk-28-37-0.png?17-08

nmmuk-28-41-0.png?17-08

nmmuk-1-37-0.png?17-08

nmmuk-1-39-0.png?17-08

EURO4 also agrees but also something for tonight to..

15091800_1700.gif

15091803_1700.gif

15091812_1700.gif

15091815_1700.gif

15091818_1700.gif

Ooh - looks quite ripe...

Should I be planning a little trip down to the south coast later this evening then?

Should I be planning a little trip down to the south coast later this evening then?

Could do..

Overnight, the focus for any lightning activity shifts to SW Scotland then NW England / N Wales, while a new round of convection will develop over the English Channel and run into parts of SE England through the early hours. There could be some small hail in any stronger cells, and the potential for some brief funnels/spouts, especially along southern coastal counties overnight as LLS increase a little.

It's tomorrow though that has better chance of a storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!

Posted

Just seen on facebook that reed timmer has posted about a tornado in northern france this afternoon

There have been four tornadoes in the last week, first one with full report and video.

http://www.keraunos.org/actualites/faits-marquants/2015/tornade-saint-bonnet-sur-gironde-13-septembre-2015-poitou-charentes-mirambeau-outbreak.html

Pictures of the one on the 16th

http://www.keraunos.org/actualites/fil-infos/2015/septembre/tornade-charente-maritime-sennac-matha-chaniers-migron-16-septembre-2015.html

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK LATE THURS 17TH & FRIDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER

post-1052-0-10653600-1442509808_thumb.pn

Issued: 17-09-2015 18z

Valid: 17/09/2015 1800z to 19/09/2015 0000z

Synopsis

Long-wave upper trough continues to edge east across much of northern and western Europe during the forecast period (18z Thurs - 00z Sat), with an upper ridge building in behind across Ireland and eastern Atlantic with a ridge to the east of the trough extending NE across SE Europe towards NW Russia. A surface low/trough near the Isle of Man at 00z Friday moves SE to be over SE England early afternoon before clearing later in the evening. Instability will develop across western areas from early Friday morning and later southern areas in association with this low/trough moving SE.

... SW SCOTLAND, N. IRELAND, NW ENGLAND, N WALES ...

A mid-level cold pool shown on 500mb charts moving SE tonight across the above areas will create steep lapse rates over seasonal warm SSTs, which combined with lift created by surface low/trough moving east with the upper trough, will support a cluster of heavy showers and perhaps isolated storms spreading SE from as early as this evening. Lack of diurnal heating and weak wind shear will mean severe weather is unlikely. Showers/storms may produce small hail, gusty winds and minor localised flooding.

... S WALES, S ENGLAND ...

Heavy showers and isolated thunderstorms are possible across the south coast of England tonight. Otherwise, mid-level cold pool, mentioned above, will continue SE towards SE UK during Friday. Surface heating during the day will create a few 100 j/kg CAPE across the above areas where moisture will be highest towards coasts as the cold pool arrives aloft steepening lapse rates. As a result, heavy showers and isolated to scattered thunderstorms will develop. Deep layer will be fairly weak with pool of instability moving east across the above areas during the day, so no organised severe weather is anticipated. Stronger cells may produce hail given steep lapse rates/cold air aloft, also there is a risk of localised flooding. With light winds aloft and surface convergence along surface trough axis moving SE, funnel clouds or even one or two brief/weak tornadoes/waterspouts can't be ruled out - particularly but exclusively near coasts with more buoyant updrafts created by warm SSTs.

Issued by Nick Finnis for Netweather

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK LATE THURS 17TH & FRIDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER

attachicon.gifconvmap_180915.png

Issued: 17-09-2015 18z

Valid: 17/09/2015 1800z to 19/09/2015 0000z

Synopsis

Long-wave upper trough continues to edge east across much of northern and western Europe during the forecast period (18z Thurs - 00z Sat), with an upper ridge building in behind across Ireland and eastern Atlantic with a ridge to the east of the trough extending NE across SE Europe towards NW Russia. A surface low/trough near the Isle of Man at 00z Friday moves SE to be over SE England early afternoon before clearing later in the evening. Instability will develop across western areas from early Friday morning and later southern areas in association with this low/trough moving SE.

... SW SCOTLAND, N. IRELAND, NW ENGLAND, N WALES ...

A mid-level cold pool shown on 500mb charts moving SE tonight across the above areas will create steep lapse rates over seasonal warm SSTs, which combined with lift created by surface low/trough moving east with the upper trough, will support a cluster of heavy showers and perhaps isolated storms spreading SE from as early as this evening. Lack of diurnal heating and weak wind shear will mean severe weather is unlikely. Showers/storms may produce small hail, gusty winds and minor localised flooding.

... S WALES, S ENGLAND ...

Mid-level cold pool, mentioned above, will continue SE towards SE UK during Friday. Surface heating during the day will create a few 100 j/kg CAPE across the above areas where moisture will be highest towards coasts as the cold pool arrives aloft steepening lapse rates. As a result, heavy showers and isolated to scattered thunderstorms will develop. Deep layer will be fairly weak with pool of instability moving east across the above areas during the day, so no organised severe weather is anticipated. Stronger cells may produce hail given steep lapse rates/cold air aloft, also there is a risk of localised flooding. With light winds aloft and surface convergence along surface trough axis moving SE, funnel clouds or even one or two brief/weak tornadoes/waterspouts can't be ruled out - particularly but exclusively near coasts with more buoyant updrafts created by warm SSTs.

Issued by Nick Finnis for Netweather

would you believe it , It seems I might be out of luck tonight and possibly tomorrow I'm distraught I really am NOT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Lightning has jsut been spotted by my mate and some others jsut off th wst coast of the island, tonight is looking very interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Should I expect much tonight? Forecast is for heavy and possibly thundery showers pushing through.....

Can see things developing nicely off the east coast of Ireland at the moment...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Had a shower in woolacombe not long ago. Was sitting inside but did notice a flash which came from outside. Possibly was lightning.

Posted

Well there is no doubt that the weather seems exciting this Evening but I think this is taking too far with these cumulus.

Sorry I had to share this haha, took this off my iphone

12036721_10206443239938719_4297663796438

They look like ball clouds mate...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

More like phallonimbus.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Nice cumulus testiculous there, Stormyking.

Lightning detected around here. Can't see much outside, very overcast and heavy bursts of rain now and then.

• Like 3