Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Past winters discussion

Posted

I think the BBC bigged up the Dec 97 cold and snow, but in the end apart from a few spots it was quite disappointing. They were surprising synoptics though - given the super El Nino base state we were in..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I think the BBC bigged up the Dec 97 cold and snow, but in the end apart from a few spots it was quite disappointing. They were surprising synoptics though - given the super El Nino base state we were in..

Was good here folks, especially 17th

Posted

legendary! wish we still got these setups, my best snow underestimated by bbc, other way around nowadays, snow tends to be over ramped

Posted
11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

legendary again, very snowy, and my only white new year, snowed all day, 

I remember that one very well. It was basically continuous snow here from about 3pm to well after midnight in the New Year. Frequent snow showers, the only way you could differentiate between the individual snow showers was the intensity. Even between the showers, flakes of snow were falling. 

Posted

legendary! especially Friday 26th, very snowy, why can't we get these great setups nowadays 2000+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like that last BBC forecast was issued on the 16th itself, rather than the 15th.  It was my only official snow cover of the 1999-00 season in Cleadon (South Tyneside) as well, as a prolonged spell of quite heavy snow moved right across to the east coast in the afternoon.

December 1997's easterly had a north-south split- I've seen that it brought lying snow to much of the West Country, particularly early on the 17th, which is unusual, but it was a non-event for most of Scotland and northern England.  In South Tyneside the temperature hovered around 5-6C for most of that easterly spell and dropped to 3C when the belt of rain and sleet moved up from the south, making it almost on a par with the December 2002 non-event.

Posted

20 years ago, we were getting ready for our next wintry blast.

That was a real potent NEaster. It was clear morning that Monday but the showers erupted about midday. Large anvils, visibility when from brilliant to very low in those snow showers. 

Apart from that two to three week period in January, winter 1995-96 was a good winter. 

Posted

Always talking about winter 95/96 - by far the best of the 90s overall for snow and cold weather here. Cold temperature wise bettered recently by 09/10 and Dec 10, but not since in terms of snowfall.

The atlantic had really little oomph to it at all during March 95 right through to May 97, I suspect it was a predominantly negative NAO-AO period.

Posted

I would not say that most of the 1990s were good.  Late 1990s saw little in the way of cold spells or snowfall, in particular the notoriously mild 1997-98 season and most particular that February.  1991-92 and 1992-93 although not terribly mild overall saw all the cold come from mid latitude rex blocks giving surface cold and had little in the way of deep cold Arctic spells and snowfall from northern blocking and real northerlies / easterlies.

Around the mid 1990s, from about 93-94 to the early part of 96-97 there was a blip compared to what was common in most winters between 1988 and 2008, in that in this period there was more in the way of northerly and easterly spells and more snowfall for many parts of the country than what became the norm from 1988 to 2008.  The mid 1990s was certainly the best period of winters in the 1988 to 2008 period, culminating in 1995-96, which in my opinion was for most of the country the best winter between the mid 1980s and 2009-10.

Posted
23 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I would not say that most of the 1990s were good.  Late 1990s saw little in the way of cold spells or snowfall, in particular the notoriously mild 1997-98 season and most particular that February.  1991-92 and 1992-93 although not terribly mild overall saw all the cold come from mid latitude rex blocks giving surface cold and had little in the way of deep cold Arctic spells and snowfall from northern blocking and real northerlies / easterlies.

Around the mid 1990s, from about 93-94 to the early part of 96-97 there was a blip compared to what was common in most winters between 1988 and 2008, in that in this period there was more in the way of northerly and easterly spells and more snowfall for many parts of the country than what became the norm from 1988 to 2008.  The mid 1990s was certainly the best period of winters in the 1988 to 2008 period, culminating in 1995-96, which in my opinion was for most of the country the best winter between the mid 1980s and 2009-10.

Agree with everything you said, though 94/95 wasn't that good overall mostly very mild and very wet, bar the brief northerly to greet the new year, the oddity of 25 Jan when west Yorkshire had a trifle snow amount - a very local affair, and the northwesterly of early March - not strictly winter..

93/94 saw episodic cold snowy weather in second half of Dec following on from the very cold snowy end to November, and a decent cold snowy spell mid-late Feb.

96/97 was looking a potentially very cold blocked winter at one stage, but quickly went downhill at the mid point, with a very mild wet February.

The winters between 08-09 and 12-13 though far far more superior, and I have to say I never thought we'd see such cold and snowy weather again a long barren period since Jan 97 in the main, a good 12 years passed between Jan 97 and what I would call a fairly decent wintry month i.e. Dec 08, between then we had only brief cold snowy spells, the likes of late Dec 00, parts of Jan and Feb 01, northerly spells like early Feb 99, late Jan and Feb 04, easterly of late Feb 05 (not that special)..

I do hope we are not staring at another 12 years since the last fairly cold wintry month of Feb 13!

Posted

March 1991 to October 1993 inclusive hardly had any snow fell around here. Until 2013-14, winter 1991-92 was the most snowless winter that I experienced.

Snowiest period from February 97 to December 99, believe it or not was mid April 98, here.

This winter although very poor is still going to surpass winter 2013-14 in the wintry stakes. Had more frosts, more wintry preciptation, a day with lying snow than we did with 2013-14.

Posted

I know this day, sure there was heavy snow in the morning, thurs 3rd Feb '94, wouldn't happen nowadays, just all rain

Posted

Manchester Winter Index for the 90s

1989-90: 26

1990-91: 126

1991-92: 40

1992-93: 43

1993-94: 78

1994-95: 45

1995-96: 135

1996-97: 72

1997-98: 25

1998-99: 47

2014-15: 82

As can be seen, the winters of the 1990s had their moments but they over half were sub 50. Not brilliant.

Posted

The hardest frosts usually seem to come in HP coldest night of this late 90`s winter and an ice day.

December was the best month of the winter 1999-00 with some snow 2 inches at the most esp torwards Christmas,but January and feb were overall dire apart from a few frosts,had to wait until the end of march for sharp frosts again,then early april gave a memorable blizzard.

Rrea00119991220.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

before my 'internet' days, only had bbc weather, but this by bbc was a fail, promised me a snowfest, and nothing

archives-2001-3-21-12-0.png

but at least I had the 'new' Atlantic 252 to help the disappointment of no snow!

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
9 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The hardest frosts usually seem to come in HP coldest night of this late 90`s winter and an ice day.

December was the best month of the winter 1999-00 with some snow 2 inches at the most esp torwards Christmas,but January and feb were overall dire apart from a few frosts,had to wait until the end of march for sharp frosts again,then early april gave a memorable blizzard.

Rrea00119991220.gif