Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see proper snow here again- easterlies in winter seem to be extinct, and Cheshire Gap northerlies which were formerly reliable (Christmas 2004) just seem to give sleet and rain nowadays. We don't even get the low minima any more- hasn't hit -5 since March 2013.

Please, please can I be proved wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

We have light snow here everywhere is white but just like a very severe frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see proper snow here again- easterlies in winter seem to be extinct, and Cheshire Gap northerlies which were formerly reliable (Christmas 2004) just seem to give sleet and rain nowadays. We don't even get the low minima any more- hasn't hit -5 since March 2013.

Please, please can I be proved wrong!

Ahhhh Christmas day 2004...one of my fondest memories weatherwise. Started off with heavy sleet/snow showers which struggled to stick. Then, that afternoon/evening all hell broke loose and it just kept on snowing and we got a healthy covering. I remember us crawling back in the car from my grandparents house as the roads were covered!

March 2006 NWly wasn't bad from memory. Certainly gave a covering.

In recent years they've been as rare as hens' teeth

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

It just isn't happening here. The snow that falls is the slushy variety...non stick and making everywhere as wet as rain would. Dew point above freezing is not a good sign at all either.

Posted

Showers left a few mm here & nice that there is no thawing going on. Looks quieter upstream for us here now, so nothing in the immediate future. Hope for a couple of showers later in the night & waking up to at least what we have now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very steady moderate to heavy snow now. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Showers left a few mm here & nice that there is no thawing going on. Looks quieter upstream for us here now, so nothing in the immediate future. Hope for a couple of showers later in the night & waking up to at least what we have now.

It's amazing the weather difference between here and a few miles up the road. I used to see the difference regularly when I was at uni up there. Stoke is like a different planet when snow is involved. Amazing what a bit of elevation can do.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well Saturday night into Sunday suddenly looks very interesting if Euro 4 is to be believed....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

The scene from my kitchen window 

1452815904257-840384572.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, bigsnow said:

Well Saturday night into Sunday suddenly looks very interesting if Euro 4 is to be believed....

Indeed but if such a sudden shift has occurred now, it will probably all be different again tomorrow. However didn't the GFS hint at this a day or so ago briefly?

would love for it to come off. Would be a brilliant Sunday. :)

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Indeed but if such a sudden shift has occurred now, it will probably all be different again tomorrow. However didn't the GFS hint at this a day or so ago briefly?

would love for it to come off. Would be a brilliant Sunday. :)

This is very true... will probably be out in the Atlantic tomorrow.... although somethings got to go our way in this cold spell and i would happily take some heavy Snow Saturday night into Sunday morning so i can take the kids out for some fun..... then what ever will be will be next week...

Posted
5 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

isnt this 2 nights on the trot for you Mark??? your defo in the sweet spot this time round.... if i were you i would be out in that running around in it....

Posted
21 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

It just isn't happening here. The snow that falls is the slushy variety...non stick and making everywhere as wet as rain would. Dew point above freezing is not a good sign at all either.

Yes I think it is actually getting warmer, believe it or not. This was supposed to be the Welsh Borders' event, and it's Birmingham and Staffs that have got everything again. It's unbelievable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
7 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

same here just down the road in rubery

if it carries on the hills might be sledgeable! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

isnt this 2 nights on the trot for you Mark??? your defo in the sweet spot this time round.... if i were you i would be out in that running around in it....

Yeh 2 nights on the trot something is seriously wrong lol, least I'll be able to throw a snowball at my 2.5 year old daughter in the morning unless of course it all disappears in the night

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, hammy said:

same here just down the road in rubery

if it carries on the hills might be sledgeable! 

I reckon so, it will be pretty decent up there I'd imagine 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
36 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Yh big snow took me by suprise met app says 24 hours of snow where is that coming from thought it was meant to be dry. Dry here but nice covering at present

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, markw2680 said:
10 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

No idea whats going on with these quotes.... seems Net Weather is just as confused as the Model Output at the moment....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

It's amazing the weather difference between here and a few miles up the road. I used to see the difference regularly when I was at uni up there. Stoke is like a different planet when snow is involved. Amazing what a bit of elevation can do.

It is amazing, the snow that fell on Wednesday pretty much had melted by the time rush hour came in Hanley. However, I had a quick check out my bedroom over to the hills by Mow Cop and noticed they were white over, so I drove 10 minutes up to Brown Edge where there was indeed lying snow. I grabbed a photo of the snowline which I may upload.

Some weird stuff tonight though, it was snowing in Stoke at 9pm when I left for Birmingham, then it dried up. Then as I approached Walsall, it was bucketing down with big flakes. The traffic was awful for the time of night. Then I literally passed a junction on the M5 and it was clear, no lying snow or falling snow. Very localised! 

Cheshire Gap doing its thing I see.