Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looking at GFS 12Z much better angle of attack for mondays possible snow, Sunday though likely to be rain, still let's hope GFS is too progressive with the Atlantic

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Just a horrid cold and drizzly evening here now after the initial burst of snow.

Winter 2015/16 still battling winter 2013/14 for the title of worst winter of the decade so far...at the moment anyway.

Ideally it would promote winter 2014/15 into 2nd place on the rubbish winter list. We will have to wait a bit longer to see I think. (The other winters this decade are miles behind on being rubbish! Even 2011/12!)

Edited by Gord

Posted

Was snowing really heavily on my walk home from work in Aldridge just after 5:00pm, with massive 50p sized flakes for a couple of short bursts. As nice as that alone was unfortunately it didn't last long and although it was starting to get slushy through the intensity it stopped and has just left everything all wet now. This mornings dusting melted throughout the day and though I'm not sure I think it may have briefly rained about 3:00pm which didn't help matters. If it was still snowing that heavily now though and for maybe a couple of hours more there's little doubt we may have got a half decent covering but it wasn't to be. I've got to be honest I'm starting to feel a little disappointed with this cold spell now. March 2013's cold spell was a real cold spell and that wasn't even in proper Winter. How is it that a cold spell in the heart of Winter is not a patch on a cold spell in Spring 3 years ago. I don't know. Heres hoping February will give something decent. Still I suppose I shouldn't complain as at least it's still alot more wintry than December 2015 was, which isn't hard I suppose.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Matty23 said:

no snow itomoz nite looks to warm and monday looks to warm so cold rain

Hardly a certainty and where has it said too warm?

I had read conditions will be good for snow, in these parts, over the weekend and Monday!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Was snowing really heavily on my walk home from work in Aldridge just after 5:00pm, with massive 50p sized flakes for a couple of short bursts. As nice as that alone was unfortunately it didn't last long and although it was starting to get slushy through the intensity it stopped and has just left everything all wet now. This mornings dusting melted throughout the day and though I'm not sure I think it may have briefly rained about 3:00pm which didn't help matters. If it was still snowing that heavily now though and for maybe a couple of hours more there's little doubt we may have got a half decent covering but it wasn't to be. I've got to be honest I'm starting to feel a little disappointed with this cold spell now. March 2013's cold spell was a real cold spell and that wasn't even in proper Winter. How is it that a cold spell in the heart of Winter is not a patch on a cold spell in Spring 3 years ago. I don't know. Heres hoping February will give something decent. Still I suppose I shouldn't complain as at least it's still alot more wintry than December 2015 was, which isn't hard I suppose.

Now a list of months that are more wintry than December 2015..there would be quite a few Julys and Augusts in there!

Posted

Can't understand why anyone would want a "cold" spell to continue, that produces rain at 200 mtrs plus in January. I can see rain in July thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, The Wolf said:

Hardly a certainty and where has it said too warm?

I had read conditions will be good for snow, in these parts, over the weekend and Monday!

Yes I do hope so. I suppose this cold spell still has time to redeem itself tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. But when you hear things in the MOD thread such as 'this is expected to be the coldest cold spell since March 2013' my expectations were  quite high. It hasn't even really been that frosty which would have helped matters. Truth is it's been a pretty marginal affair so far. Onwards and upwards I suppose.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted

bbc forecast there was rubbish! suppose it's the uncertainty, ECM looking better as Steve says, remaining cold out to wednesday ECM1-0.GIF?15-0 

half hearted spell as it's more PM air than Arctic, and we all know PM air is useless at low levels, need -10 uppers for true snow, not -6/-7, as of last night/today

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
9 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

This is the northwesterly version of February 2005....

Feb 2005 was veritable heaven here compared with this. Almost nothing lying, but we at least had it falling day after day.

So far, I reckon only 2013-14 is worse IMBY. Last winter there was one night-time flurry that gave us a thin covering for a couple of hours until it washed away, so 2014-15 is still better!

Still, I have zero hopes for Monday, since if something can go wrong it will -- so that means I can't be disappointed. :)

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
7 minutes ago, Gord said:

Now a list of months that are more wintry than December 2015..there would be quite a few Julys and Augusts in there!

Well from what I've heard June 1975 (the first month of Summer) was more wintry than December 2015 because it actually snowed then, so there's one month that shouldn't be wintry that was actually more wintry than last month. I think it may even have settled, though I can't be sure as it's only something i've heard about and occured 10 years before I was born. But it also occurred after the apparently very mild Winter of 1974/75 which was strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
4 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Well from what I've heard June 1975 (the first month of Summer) was more wintry than December 2015 because it actually snowed then, so there's one month that shouldn't be wintry that was actually more wintry than last month. I think it may even have settled, though I can't be sure as it's only something i've heard about and occured 10 years before I was born. But it also occurred after the apparently very mild Winter of 1974/75 which was strange.

Yep -- a county cricket match for Derbyshire at Buxton had to be postponed on 2 June 1975 because there was an inch of snow on the pitch. Apparently Essex's match at Colchester was affected too. There's a MetO factsheet about the event (PDF). The winter of 1974/75 was weird in itself -- very mild as you say, but there was snow in October 1974. So who knows?

• Like 2

Posted

arpegeuk-1-36-0.png.3a62307f2e5eccf31a39

looks good from Aperge model (Steve rates it so hopefully accurate) snow tomorrow night? i hadnt heard of Aperge I don't think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Less cold uppers have come in sleety wet snow shower now.

Are we going to get this so called severe frost.

Doubt it very much

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Matty23 said:

no snow itomoz nite looks to warm and monday looks to warm so cold rain

Erm.... Maybe in Wales, but here in the Midlands things look better.

Posted
1 hour ago, Arctic Hare said:

Feb 2005 was veritable heaven here compared with this. Almost nothing lying, but we at least had it falling day after day.

So far, I reckon only 2013-14 is worse IMBY. Last winter there was one night-time flurry that gave us a thin covering for a couple of hours until it washed away, so 2014-15 is still better!

Still, I have zero hopes for Monday, since if something can go wrong it will -- so that means I can't be disappointed. :)

Feb/Mar 2005 was indeed better for lying snow (1cm on the 24th, 1cm 2nd Mar, 2cm 3rd) but in terms of disappointment it was quite comparable. It didn't look marginal at all, like this one.

This winter, at half-time, is worse than 2013/14. Fewer air frosts, less sunshine, same lack of lying snow. And this month in on course to be wetter than Jan 2014.

• Like 1