Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Still decent chance of snow later on tonight and sunday morning. Met says its going to start as rain then turn to snow around midnight then snow right through the night and sunday morning. Still exact track of front is unknown expect westwards or eastwards corrections. :snowman-emoji:

Posted

So much for any severe frosts utter useless forecast.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2417.html

Made -1.7c this morning,but the ground is still soft,it must of only been below for a short time.

The farmers will be hopping mad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Beautiful morning.

Still ontrack for an undercutter.

O/n low of -1.9C

Now at -1.3C. DP at -3.9C

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold clear night with some patchy cloud giving a snow flurry in the early hours with a slight dusting and a ground/air frost. A low of -2.3c. Currently; Cold with patchy cloud and a hard frost.

Temp -2.3c

WC -2c

Dp -3.5c

Wind West Avg 4mph

Later on today looks promising for some snowfall over the Midlands.

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

A cold clear night with some patchy cloud giving a snow flurry in the early hours with a slight dusting and a ground/air frost. A low of -2.3c. Currently; Cold with patchy cloud and a hard frost.

Temp -2.3c

WC -2c

Dp -3.5c

Wind West Avg 4mph

Later on today looks promising for some snowfall over the Midlands.

a.png

Yes sure does look good for some this evening PM... i might tempt fate and get my snow watching seat out the garage....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
32 minutes ago, Aaki Khan said:

Metoffice Warnings Are Out! 1 - 3cm. 

2016-01-16.jpeg

What a ridiculous looking chart

• Like 2

Posted

That all looks too far east, the blooming Peak District again. No good for most of us- and what are those ice warnings for? Just frost (fine) or freezing rain (which I NEVER want to see again in my life?)

Anyway finally something resembling a decent frost. -3 in the early hours, coldest night for 12 months, and it's even frozen the pond that has been forming on the lawn since November.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Yes sure does look good for some this evening PM... i might tempt fate and get my snow watching seat out the garage....

It sure does BS, With snow most of the day Sunday to. Fingers crossed.

20160116_085532.jpg

20160116_085458.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Sadly looks like rain west of Birmingham now. Will be down to now casting but not much hope for here IMO. And to me this dividing line also may play apart in any snow on Monday so that those who see rain tonight will probably just see rain Monday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
13 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

It sure does BS, With snow most of the day Sunday to. Fingers crossed.

20160116_085532.jpg

20160116_085458.jpg

Looks good to me PM... i will take that as a starting point.... also some interest Monday into Tuesday aswell.. to early to call tho but does look as tho we may have some snow on the ground for a few days at least...... Just been out and replaced the bulb in the garden spotlight for tonights action... Mrs Bigsnow thinks im rather crazy....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Same GFS 6z really. Rain for the West Midlands now, maybe a little sleetiness now. Snow for east of Coventry approx. Blame it on my post last night. Had to go the opposite way! Just hope now casting brings some luck our way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Gonna be very tight in terms of whether we get sleet or snow tonight I reckon for all lower ground areas and areas west and south of Brum. Peak District should do best with up to 10cms. Parts of Staffs could do well also, Cannock up to the Moorlands. 

Its going to the wire though for lower ground in the Mids and particularly the West Mids (myself included). Even if we get snow, will it settle? The fact it's falling overnight is advantageous but it really is a 50:50 call whether we get puddles/slush or lying snow.

Posted

Don't think we'll get rain Costa, the risk for me is sleet or non settling snow.

Posted
7 minutes ago, shaky said:

Anywhere east of birmingham should see it as all snow!!even the 06z gfs paints a similar picture!!

You should do well. As for here, victory snatched away last minute as usual. :(

Posted

Not necessarily Shaky, you generally get lower ground in the East Mids, so for those east of Brum I'd be crossing fingers that the likes of the Black Country see snow, as I'm not convinced any of us will if West Mids higher ground doesn't.

Posted

Still -2.4 at front of house , North facing . A very hard frost with a low of - 3.1 last night lovely ice patterns everywhere........ Fingers crossed for snow !!! I appear right on dividing linev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

I think most of us will be spending our afternoon in the north west thread listening out for snow reports as it heads south. It really is a now cast situation due to been on such as knifes edge. Some past good snow falls have come from these situations. Met have it as a rain to snow for this part of the Midlands. 

Posted

The ppn already seems further east than expected. Might even make parts of the east midlands marginal now. Game over for the W mids now though. Poor.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

Looks OK to me Costa, still west of Glasgow at its northernmost point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am hoping in northamptonshire we get some this time. Other night was annoying was to east on this forum. To west on east anglian one.:wallbash:

Posted
26 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

You should do well. As for here, victory snatched away last minute as usual. :(

Don't be too disheartened, I don't think I can remember a single snowfall, where the area progged for the most, got the most. 

It was always 30 miles this way, or 30 miles that way, that could make a huge difference.

Just as all the models have underestimated the blocking of the cold, there's not much to say that the snow might be squeezed further west as it bumps into the puddle of cold air.

I'm hopeful, but I will not be in the least surprised if it goes bottoms up at the last minute, this is the Midlands after all :D 

Posted

Proper air frost this morning. We truly went into the freezer last night. Starting to get cloudy now though. If it does snow later, provided it doesn't get to warm it should stick. Not getting my hopes up to much though.