Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Morning beautiful Midlanders. Well well well, it sure is a fine line for snow tonight, literally! IMO Birmingham will do well from this, especially higher ground around Birmingham. 5cm looks very possible. 

I would also expect Leicester to do ok, 1-3cm possible and also Northants. Wawrickshire should also be on the right side of the snow line but lower ground may be more touch and go. I'm not too optimistic down here in Oxford, we may be just too far West for snow. It might be more of a sleety mix but it is so close, it could go either way. I'm hoping for a shift of 30 mile West in the 850's on the 12z run. That would be good news for me personally! Haha. 

This chart illustrates just how close it is. Matter of 20-30 miles could make all the difference!

h850t850eu.png

Posted

That's a lovely upgrade to wake up to. Snow pushed to start earlier tonight with heavy snow for 6 hours, and snow continuously for 12? Yes please! Still a bit sceptical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

06z nmm and arome pushed the snow dividing like a little further west? :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Good news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

PPN coming in already and falling as snow according to the radar? 

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well, I'm a teensy bit optimistic for some decent fall tonight. I think the Midlands always does better with 'battleground' events than it does with the Cheshire gap streamer.

Does anyone know which of those two scenarios it was when we had the massive snowfall here in December 1990? 

*prepares to eat her words*

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
20 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

Well, I'm a teensy bit optimistic for some decent fall tonight. I think the Midlands always does better with 'battleground' events than it does with the Cheshire gap streamer.

Does anyone know which of those two scenarios it was when we had the massive snowfall here in December 1990? 

*prepares to eat her words*

I think you'll do alright out of this, fizzychops. I'm going with 3-5cm for you. 

Posted
Just now, shaky said:

Sweet spots at the moment have to be coventry!!warwick!!leicester a maybe!!!

Lets hope so im right in the middle. Although i would stress sweet spots may only see 3cms locally tops of 5.  Havent seen anything to suggest any proper decent covering 10 cm or but after the year we have had will take any. We could do with as wide an area as possible seeing snow though as it would then help with temps come monday as that looks marginal atm.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stationary Front said:

Fizz- it was from a northerly with a shortwave over the North Sea close to the Wash.

*runs off to look up what a shortwave is*

Well, obviously I meant APART from Dec 1990 the Midlands always does best out of a battleground scenario...

Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rubbish Euro 4 6z for the West Midlands region. Arpege is better though.

Posted
8 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

I think you'll do alright out of this, fizzychops. I'm going with 3-5cm for you. 

Now don't get me all excited... :yahoo:

Posted
9 minutes ago, Aaki Khan said:

Latest 06z Euro. According To This The Met O Warning Needs To Shift To East Midlands. 

Next to no settling snow according to the euro 6z. So you could argue no warning needed at all if that prooves correct.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I honestly cannot get excited, any marginal events ALWAYS end up as rain here or very wet sleety snow.

Posted

Just about every forecast has rain here, does that mean it'll snow :D

Seriously I hope it's either all rain or all snow. I really, really hate it when some areas get one and some at the same height the other, because a) it's unfair and b) we always end up with the rain!

If it rains here and snows in Brum or Stoke or Telford again, then this winter can go cluck itself. At least 2013-14 was fair, it snowed nowhere.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold day here with patchy cloud and ice not thawing, Temp currently 0.8c, Dp -0.3c with light East wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.
45 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

I honestly cannot get excited, any marginal events ALWAYS end up as rain here or very wet sleety snow.

Yep......ALWAYS...a disappointment here ....need to build a 100m tower to climb up......hopefully this reverse psychology will work ..!

Edited by VeryCold

Posted

Latest models  send to favour a slight shift to the west. Very much a now cast situation I think   To me this hasn't been a bad little cold snap  lampposts at the ready 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, VeryCold said:

Yep......ALWAYS...a disappointment here ....need to build a 100m tower to climb up

just need to move the shard from london to birmingham and put a garden at the top 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Well, made it down to -2.2 °C last night, so a proper frost at last. Tonight looks like being the usual frustration here, though: snow in the Black Country and Brum, rain here. Hope I'm wrong!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

This setup never delivers for me, this is an East midlands event, very like 14th January 2010, snowfest leicester (Shaky will remember) nothing here, these fronts from the NW are always too far east, thurs 9th Feb 2012, another example, Sat 2nd Jan 2010

• Like 1