Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
19 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Gosh look at this, I said to myself  56b79ca3b7853_nolicking.thumb.jpg.4bdf77 

But it's a freakin week away, you must be mad!

Who, me?

Now there's an interesting looking chart! Even Skye may get a wee touch o'the white stuff! Morning Peeps, from dare I say it, a wind and rain free Skye! :yahoo: For once the weather gods and goddesses are smiling on us! It's clear and cold with blue skies and tiny wispy clouds. I think the sun may even show his face today, however brief his visit, and will be very welcome! I may even go out and spend some time soaking up some vitamin D! Temp is currently 0.2c or 2.8c depending on which weather station I read! And ( whisper it! )we now have a drip free roof! Builders just have a few wee things to finish off up there and then they'll get stuck in aboot the room. Then I'll hopefully get the central heating on this week 'cos I think I'm really going to need it!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Same here this morning,-1 nice blue sky,no wind and I exercised the dogs without them being clarted in mud,perfect start to the week.Things looking a bit cooler as we head through the week too!

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hi @Standfree 1903, yeah it's been a frustrating run of poor winters. I moved to Aberdeenshire in Jan 2009 and the first 2 or 3 winters up here were fantastic. I thought I'd found my winter nirvana but sadly it hasn't continued like it started.

Anyway, yesterday around these parts wasn't too bad compared to what most of you were reporting. We had some periods of light rain but also some periods of sunshine. Temp around 5 or 6C I think but a stiff breeze to go with it.

Woke up this morning to -ve temps and it was still falling. Lowest I noticed was -2.1C before I left the house at 8am. Virtually cloudless sky at the moment so sunny and virtually no wind.

As for the models going forward, they don't look too shabby for us north of the border. My only worry will be exactly how much precipitation there will be, doesn't look like there will be much really. I suppose dry cool and sunny isn't the worst kind of weather but it doesn't help get the ski resorts back up and running.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Cold uppers maintained on the 06z so will be chilly.   However, precipitation appears to now favour the southern areas, with east coast showers for up here I think?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some lovely conditions up on the hills this morning.

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Cold uppers maintained on the 06z so will be chilly.   However, precipitation appears to now favour the southern areas, with east coast showers for up here I think?

I'd be biting the weather model's arm off for even a short, calm, dry period:) Almost Spring-like here now today, bird song, nae wind, and the sun looks like it might be threatening to peep through a bit later. Honestly, it'd be uplifting to have a few day without windows rattling and rain spattering.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, moffatross said:

I'd be biting the weather model's arm off for even a short, calm, dry period:) Almost Spring-like here now today, bird song, nae wind, and the sun looks like it might be threatening to peep through a bit later. Honestly, it'd be uplifting to have a few day without windows rattling and rain spattering.

Looks like you may get your wish.:)  Dreich,  with light rain over here!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Frosty clear  start here at 0c but has since clouded over, at least there is no wind so far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Did SS ever come back from Norway? He's very quiet, maybe stapled himself to the ski slopes. Great to have a calm dry day for once with no wind.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Did SS ever come back from Norway? He's very quiet, maybe stapled himself to the ski slopes. Great to have a calm dry day for once with no wind.

Yes, he got back ok and was around the thread for a while.   Noticed he was on the Politics' threads yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all,

Back from a weekend visiting a friend in Amsterdam to lovely sunny skies in NE Fife. Maxed out at 7c. More, please.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I headed down to Glenmoriston again this morning with the temp starting at 2C here, down to -1C there, with freezing fog.  Trees were covered in frozen droplets which were magical for a short while as the sun burnt off the fog.  One of my favourite weather-related phenomenomenomenom.  Then the cloud came over and it even rained for a bit - but what else to expect from Glenmoriston but ppn of some sort?  Funny thing about yesterday's persistent sleet at low level - it didn't seem to have been snow higher up as there are still bald patches nearly to the tops.

The weekend ahead AT THE MOMENT looks like a bit of a Narnia outbreak for parts of the north-east, and that's after what looks like a much better week than of late with little rain.  God I'm sick of rain.  I think I may have to avoid plugging in to each and every model run or the week could get wasted...

And hi to Standfree - digress at will, most of us do...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wow cheggers that's a photo and a half....bit of a snow risk at end of week...not lots of ppn showing yet but will keep watching with interest...some threats of ene flow with low thicknesses which could kick in nth sea snow machine if happened

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Similar start to the day here again today. Slight frost with temp at -0.8C after an overnight low of -2.0C. Looks calm, lots of blue sky and very little cloud. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Similar start to the day here again today. Slight frost with temp at -0.8C after an overnight low of -2.0C. Looks calm, lots of blue sky and very little cloud. 

Ditto, -1C. Nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
21 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Yes, he got back ok and was around the thread for a while.   Noticed he was on the Politics' threads yesterday.

Alive and kicking. Nice to know some care.:friends:

Just crap weather, so back tae politics stuff.

Sporadic snaw symbols on my MetO forecast the morn, so interest in weather returns. :)

3.8 C here and dreich. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, edo said:

Wow cheggers that's a photo and a half....bit of a snow risk at end of week...not lots of ppn showing yet but will keep watching with interest...some threats of ene flow with low thicknesses which could kick in nth sea snow machine if happened

Was thinking exacty the same thing myself Edo.   ENE flow is geat for my area and, like you say, could kick in the North Sea snow machine.   Was hoping for a little falling snow before then though, but getting confused with the slight changes in the modelling (ECM).   Going to have a look at the 6z so here's hoping for something a little more defined for up here.:)

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Cracking winters morning again, currently -2C with a hard frost and low lying mist spots tinged by sunlight hugging the glens. Snow in the forecast as SS says so will see what the next few days brings  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
2 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Cracking winters morning again, currently -2C with a hard frost and low lying mist spots tinged by sunlight hugging the glens. Snow in the forecast as SS says so will see what the next few days brings  

Yup, a beautiful morning here over the hill from you, -1'C, frosty and clear blue skies. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthernRab said:

Yup, a beautiful morning here over the hill from you, -1'C, frosty and clear blue skies. 

Sun and sea warming us up nicely now, 3C and hooray up she rises. Well :oops:

Posted

Poor morning but rain's just starting to ease. Probably a bit wetter than was expected

Posted

Not over yet, but something for everyone in the 6z.   Up to next Wednesday at least we keep the cold uppers.   Plenty of precipitation in the North Sea as long as it doesn't hug the coast, with a north easterly element 'till the end of the week,  hopefully we can pick something up from this.   Early next week it all transfers over to a west/northwest direction with plenty of precipitation,  so looking good for all.  (I think!):)

• Like 2