Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

Yup, a beautiful morning here over the hill from you, -1'C, frosty and clear blue skies. 

Very same here although wintry looking showers on the horizon to the north starting to come towards us

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Starting to cloud over here 4.9c/4.3c/W - Looking forward to this cold spell though.   At the moment it looks as if it is going to last for a good 8 - 10 days?  Certainly feel a lot healthier!  Hopefully we will all have seen something of note by the time it ends!

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
On 1/20/2016 at 9:48 AM, 101_North said:

I was just about to post in the model thread but a cold spell now looks 100% nailed on for Scotland for around the 15th - 27th February! No point checking the models though - work have told me I have to be in the US for 2 weeks so that pretty much guarantees it. Enjoy it folks :D

Looking at some of the models this might be as close to prophetic as I'm likely to post all year LOL

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Heavy cold rain now since early afternoon.  A chilly end to the week coming up!

Two nasty accidents on the A9 yesterday morning, not far apart.  The BBC reports Trafficscotland as blaming the sun for the accidents.  :rofl:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
28 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Two nasty accidents on the A9 yesterday morning, not far apart.  The BBC reports Trafficscotland as blaming the sun for the accidents.  :rofl:

Aye, drivers so stunned at actually seeing the sun that they crashed into each other. Seriously though, it's been a real pest the last 2 mornings here, especially Monday as I was doing the commute earlier so the sun was just at the right height above the horizon.

Not going to be a problem going home though as its clouded over here now. Not quite raining yet but doesn't look as if it'll be long before it does.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Aye, drivers so stunned at actually seeing the sun that they crashed into each other. Seriously though, it's been a real pest the last 2 mornings here, especially Monday as I was doing the commute earlier so the sun was just at the right height above the horizon.

Not going to be a problem going home though as its clouded over here now. Not quite raining yet but doesn't look as if it'll be long before it does.

The way folk folk drive at what passes for rush hour round here, nothing would surprise me.  But for TS just to blithely blame glare for accidents is pathetic; I don't think there can be anyone... ah forget it.

Posted

Beautiful late afternoon here. Clear sky, birds singing, cool, calm, great visibility in the fading light towards Fife in one direction and the Ochills in the other. 

Posted
45 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Met O have us down for 6hrs heavy sleet, they must be using the spaniel again as it's snowing heavily and all white. 0.3C

Please mister, will you show me your puppies?

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all,

Another decent day in NE Fife, good sunny spells and temps around average at 7c. Everyone seems to be enjoying the sun!

It looks mostly dry here in the coming days though turning cooler. There's been a notable lack of frost here lately, with the last air frost at Leuchars on January 21st. Plenty of other Scottish stations are yet to see an air frost in February but that should change in the coming days.

Almost fell out my seat when I saw -30c 850s for the weekend before I realised I was looking at the 12z GFS data for Toronto instead of Leuchars! :oops:A more modest cold spell ahead for NE Fife with 850s in the -6c to -8c range from Thursday through Monday.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Evening all,

Another decent day in NE Fife, good sunny spells and temps around average at 7c. Everyone seems to be enjoying the sun!

It looks mostly dry here in the coming days though turning cooler. There's been a notable lack of frost here lately, with the last air frost at Leuchars on January 21st. Plenty of other Scottish stations are yet to see an air frost in February but that should change in the coming days.

Almost fell out my seat when I saw -30c 850s for the weekend before I realised I was looking at the 12z GFS data for Toronto instead of Leuchars! :oops:A more modest cold spell ahead for NE Fife with 850s in the -6c to -8c range from Thursday through Monday.

You'd still not get snow even with uppers at -30C. I am still surprised that the cold spell looks so dry on the precip charts, oh well what would I know? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, I'm heading home for a wee holiday in Carrbridge as of Thursday. Likely staying until at least Tuesday.

Lots of snaw symbols on the forecast. :)

• Like 4

Posted

Nice one SS, some ice days to boot as well. I'll listen out for someone rallying around the Slochd :)

Wee covering here and -1.3C so all crunchy. Looking good for a top up by tomorrow morning 

17 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Nice one SS, some ice days to boot as well. I'll listen out for someone rallying around the Slochd :)

Wee covering here and -1.3C so all crunchy. Looking good for a top up by tomorrow morning 

Lucky you :) All we've got here is wall to wall sunshine :rofl: I feel robbed!! 

Posted

Morning.   A beautiful one it is too! 1.9c/0c/WSW.   I can't comment on the models his morning because we have varying opinions on the MOD.   If they can't figure things out then I sure as heck can't! so I haven't even bothered looking.   It doesn't appear to be a bust, just difficult to form an  opinion on what's going to happen over the weekend.   Another waiting game I suppose.

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

A bit more cloud around this morning but still light and broken. Temp around 2C and light winds. Just a touch of frost on the car windscreen this morning but didn't need scraped as a 'skoosh' of washer fluid did the trick.

Not looked at the models yet this morning @Blitzen but they were already looking rather complicated last night. I must say, personally I'm completely underwhelmed at 'the possibilities' over the next few days. I'm not ruling out some of us seeing a bit of snow but I can't see it being much more than some occasional short flurries. The MetO forecast for Glenshee over the weekend was looking decent for a build up of snow for example, but seems to have been watered down as it's got closer. I was entertaining the idea of a day there on Monday since the wife and youngest are off school but I'm not sure it's going to be worth it now.

Edited by Ravelin

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Morning.   A beautiful one it is too! 1.9c/0c/WSW.   I can't comment on the models his morning because we have varying opinions on the MOD.   If they can't figure things out then I sure as heck can't! so I haven't even bothered looking.   It doesn't appear to be a bust, just difficult to form an  opinion on what's going to happen over the weekend.   Another waiting game I suppose.

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Underwhelming. What more is there to say? 

Posted

Had a quick look at some of the 6z and it does predict a wee bit more precipitation wise for Scotland over the weekend.  Certainly the 850s would be conducive to produce snow which, I think,  would be of the showery variety but better than nowt!   Certainly going to feel a lot chillier though.  

Roundabouts and swings really, as the southerners loose out on this run and we gain.   Probably all change on the 12s.   I'm getting dizzy!

gfsnh-2-108.png

gfsnh-1-108.png

gfsnh-1-84.png

gfsnh-2-84.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon all! Well, we're now starting to see the sun here again which is always welcome! We had a wee touch of rain and sleet earlier on too. Definitely colder though and it looks like the next few days are going to be stoatirs! Bring it on!

• Like 2

Posted

Great day here too sunny almost calm but cool with a maximum temperature of 4.8c currently 2.1c and falling

Setting sun highlighted in vivid pink some wintry showers on the northern horizon. Looks as if we will get an air frost tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Well, I'm heading home for a wee holiday in Carrbridge as of Thursday. Likely staying until at least Tuesday.

Lots of snaw symbols on the forecast. :)

Can I ask your advice or recommendation for this Saturday please. We are wanting to go skiing this weekend (leaving from Aberdeen) and wonder, based on current or expected conditions, what the best place would be to head. My daughter has just had an intensive series of lessons on the dry slopes here but may be more confident than she is able! My son is relatively inexperienced too. Any advice about the best location (probably not Nevis or Glencoe for geographical reasons). :) I wondered bout the Lecht but wasn't sure about conditions.

Hoping for a few flurries here over the weekend but fear it may be of the melted snow variety..

Edited by doctormog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Can I ask your advice or recommendation for this Saturday please. We are wanting to go skiing this weekend (leaving from Aberdeen) and wonder, based on current or expected conditions, what the best place would be to head. My daughter has just had an intensive series of lessons on the dry slopes here but may be more confident than she is able! My son is relatively inexperienced too. Any advice about the best location (probably not Nevis or Glencoe for geographical reasons). :) I wondered bout the Lecht but wasn't sure about conditions.

Hoping for a few flurries here over the weekend but fear it may be of th melted snow bribery.

To be honest, I'm not the best person to ask these days. I should change my name to 'much more occasional skier now for reasons such as age, kids, work and living much further from the slopes'.

For beginners, the Lecht IMO is the best option when snow is good. Not sure about current conditions though; a look at Winterhighland suggests hard and patchy with a need for new snow. New snow may well be the case over the next few days. A few inches can make all the difference if there is at least a hard pack base. This is particularly the case for the lecht as the slopes are not rocky in general, so cover quickly.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

If snow is poor, then Cairngorm is your best option as the Ptarmigan basin is good for beginners and is right at the top so much more reliable for snow. Seems to have decent cover right now, so as long as it's not high winds, would be good.

Glenshee has limited cover on lower slopes and higher runs where the snow is better isn't good for beginners generally.

I expect others can give a better update!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks. :) I had a wee look at WH a few mins before I posted! :D

I might wait and see what materialises over the next couple of days as the Lecht may pick up something to add to the base. I don't get out as much nowadays (skiing I mean!) for very similiar reasons to you.

Enjoy Carrbridge I'm sure you'll get some snow. We were very nearly there last weekend but held off due to the forecast as we wanted to get some skiing in too.

Posted

Well <puts on smug face> I got a snow shower today, 300m altitude, south Affric hills..  Pretty brief and not settling but it was there all the same.  Pretty chilly too, esp when the breeze picked up.

Just looks like a cold few days coming up without much snow after all.  mongoose it then.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, doctormog said:

Thanks. :) I had a wee look at WH a few mins before I posted! :D

I might wait and see what materialises over the next couple of days as the Lecht may pick up something to add to the base. I don't get out as much nowadays (skiing I mean!) for very similiar reasons to you.

Kind of in the same boat myself at the moment would like to get skiing this weekend but just not sure where. 

West seems best at the moment, well Glencoe anyway cos there seems to be a lack of reports from Nevis. From Aberdeen, to be realistic that involves making it a weekend trip, which adds expense. If conditions were great Wed probably go for that but I'm not convinced they are good enough to justify it. Western resorts don't have much snow forecast either so probably won't improve. 

Glenshee would be my preferred option, but as like last year it seems to be struggling to pick up the snow. If the forecast is right it might do better than the others for snow in the next few days. We can afford to wait and go on Monday, with the hope it's picked up more snow by then. 

As SS says, Lecht is great for beginners, gets going with less snowfall and never seems to have much in the way of queues even when the car park looks busy. If it picks up the same amount of snow as Glenshee in the next couple of days it might be the better option as it at least seems to have a base on the pistes currently. Best pre-book Ski Hire though if going as they can run out when busy. You can do that on the website the day before I think. 

Cairngorm has good beginners slopes up top, but it's a god awful place to be if it's windy and you are in the cloud. Gets slated a lot for lift queues and Ski hire used to be chaotic but that might have improved. Will probably be busy this weekend because of hols and the proximity to lots of accommodation in Aviemore. When fully open and quiet even it has the benefit that relative beginners can ski from top to bottom on one long run. 

Unless the wife finds a great accommodation deal in Ft William I think we'll probably wait and see what conditions are like by Monday and head to either Glenshee or Lecht if it looks worth it. Give me a winter where the only worry is if the resorts have managed to dig out the tows from the last storm. Beats this will we, won't we nonsense.