Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Thanks to all for comments re snowshoeing.  Ben especially for links to his own material - that's enough to tempt me to try it.  Could be a case of swapping crampons and snowshoes through a day...  Now where's that snow....?

And SS, yes, put some folk behind a steering wheel and they think they're Captain Invincible.  Every time I hit the A9 I see examples. (Erm, I used to feel invincible too, but the slow dwindling of friends and family tell me otherwise.)

Tomorrow looks breezy and grey but unlikely to be more than a bit damp here. FLW...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
48 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Thanks to all for comments re snowshoeing.  Ben especially for links to his own material - that's enough to tempt me to try it.  Could be a case of swapping crampons and snowshoes through a day...  Now where's that snow....?

And SS, yes, put some folk behind a steering wheel and they think they're Captain Invincible.  Every time I hit the A9 I see examples. (Erm, I used to feel invincible too, but the slow dwindling of friends and family tell me otherwise.)

Tomorrow looks breezy and grey but unlikely to be more than a bit damp here. FLW...

Mixed views in MOD thread for upcoming week for Scotland, I did see Steve Murr post about Scotland and more so highlands seeing good depth of snow based on latest ECM run. Tonight's GFS starts the trend for easterly run... again ha!

Posted

Apparently that video that is going around of 4x4s driving past the collapsing A93 shows Hydro Electric vehicles, the lead one is, the silver landrover probably is (they have had quite a few of them recently) and the driver getting  into another SSE vehicle to follow on can be seen with other people in high viz gear checking out the partly collapsed bridge on foot in some of the related photos that have been going around. Like much of what these guys have to do in very severe conditions it's a bit of a calculated gamble.

[Edit]The un-cropped version from the EE site and photo appears to show just that: https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/video-watch-driver-passes-section-road-washed-away-raging-river-dee/

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
9 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

No worries :) Yep, take everything with you and use whatever is appropriate at the time - we really need a nice cold settled spell to get some deep and even snow! But even when the snow is windblown, the depths in the glens and coires make snowshoes essential in my view.

Facebook popped a reminder up on my feed today about what was happening four years ago. That big storm. One I'll never forget here in Fife - we had 10,000 trees brought down on the Falkland Estate alone! The side of the house fell off and we were without power for five days.

396592_10150446298082047_1207317291_n.jpg

Stormdamage.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think we've got cabin fever. One of us is going to end up machete-ing the other one.. and I am by far the wee-est here. I'm worried!

• Like 8

Posted

The frenetic way in which the squirrel buried his nuts (eeeasy) around the garden this morning indicates that he's certainly expecting the cold and snow again. Sod it I might start burying food in the garden too, cheeky wee Fajita kit buried near the greenhouse, a dish of lasagne under the washing line.. Nature can predict the weather better than many model watchers and not an argument or sulk in sight

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A yellow rain warning is in place until Tuesday for eastern parts of Scotland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1451952000®ionName=uk

A yellow warning is also out for Thursday with another 20mm to 40mm widely and the potential for 60mm on high ground

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1452124800®ionName=uk

Posted

Hopefully as we go through today and tomorrow the snow level will gradually lower over the Cairngorms, temperature now down to -0.3ºc on the Cairnwell.  So hopefully Glenshee will start to accumulate hefty snow fall totals to road level soon - at least get some good economic news for the area because with the festive season done and dusted there's going to be a lot of pent up demand waiting to be unleashed. 

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, skifreak said:

Hopefully as we go through today and tomorrow the snow level will gradually lower over the Cairngorms, temperature now down to -0.3ºc on the Cairnwell.  So hopefully Glenshee will start to accumulate hefty snow fall totals to road level soon - at least get some good economic news for the area because with the festive season done and dusted there's going to be a lot of pent up demand waiting to be unleashed. 

Amen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

After night at my parents we're now driving back home (well wife is). We're currently between Perth and Dundee and it's really wild. Just want to turn around and head back to Austria, where I understand it snowed last night, to make things worse. 

How we ever put up with the weather in the UK I don't know. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

After night at my parents we're now driving back home (well wife is). We're currently between Perth and Dundee and it's really wild. Just want to turn around and head back to Austria, where I understand it snowed last night, to make things worse. 

How we ever put up with the weather in the UK I don't know. 

I know exactly how you feel, I get that at the end of July every bloody year.  I just want to nuke the Atlantic sometimes.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Sunny Aberdeen today.. Pretty much the same here today (excluding the sea..) with persistent moderate rain currently at 16mm

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

There were quite a few people up by Torry Battery (at the entrance to Aberdeen Harbour) this afternoon, myself included, and it was pretty wild (see also below). The wind along the coast is pretty fierce today.

IMG_3218 -1.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Bunkheid Academy PM - far did ye find at een ! Went on a school trip with folks from there to Paris back the day, we all got locked in our cabins on the ferry on the way home due to scoofing cheap Belgian lager at an inappropriate age !

SEPA update just released below., thankfully the Dee is not projected to match Frank levels, the Don into floodplains.

GFS tempting with something cooler after mid-week..

viewimage.thumb.png.6f22d9d5ef437198eda856894baf5a0c0_viewimage(1).thumb.png.f1c

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 4

Posted

Still breezy and  ground getting dryer although the temperature has fallen away all afternoon to currently 4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Aye, North Sea looked rather rough from the glimpses we managed through the rain on our way home. As for the Don, it was getting dark but looked well outside it's banks at the bottom of our road. I've seen it higher in our time here but will be impressive if it's not yet peaked. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Oh well, Last day in Aviemore!

Went up the mountain in the Funicular and had a wee snaw fix at the Ptarmigan where it was whiteout and blowin a hoolie.

Back doon the road in the morning and then the back tae work blues will kick in for reality on Tuesday!!!

Big Innes

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
19 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Serious risk of soiled underwear wrt the ECM. Where are those snowshoes NOW!?!?

Just £2.64 a pair on amazon. Come with a free ball and shuttlecock. String not included though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Children-Orange-Plastic-Badminton/dp/B00IIE7FDU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451848850&sr=8-3&keywords=pair+of+tennis+rackets

Nice ECM for sure.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
17 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

"at last winter arrives in the Uk"

Those 20 odd days with snow lying/falling here in the last couple of months must have been an illusion. Must stop putting acid in my porridge 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Fantastic looking ECM, but as we know it can all change in the next run but I hope this doesn't! 

ECH1-240.GIF.png.ad9cc240d94f621c882cbff23d4c6bbf.png

ecms12.png.10ae55454c5719a6b90cb97fd69b0463.png

Edited by Stormeh

Posted
12 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Just £2.64 a pair on amazon. Come with a free ball and shuttlecock. String not included though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Children-Orange-Plastic-Badminton/dp/B00IIE7FDU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451848850&sr=8-3&keywords=pair+of+tennis+rackets

Nice ECM for sure.

I thought you were linking to these:  pad.jpg.71141325436a69f7b53851c2164b3e8d

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
37 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Those 20 odd days with snow lying/falling here in the last couple of months must have been an illusion. Must stop putting acid in my porridge 

I must admit quite recently I was almost tempted to reply to a MT post saying something along the lines of 'looks like more flooding for the NW of the UK'. Cumbria was looking to take a hit, but the highlands and Western Isles looked fairly dry and benign to me...

Been a fairly pants winter here, yet still at least 3 days of falling and lying snaw with a couple of ice days for good measure. Even got a white Christmas.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Full scale Cuban cigar rather than close but no Havana!! :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
3 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

'Must stop putting acid in my portidge' hahaha. I laughed far too much at that...

fair but you are not really representative of what most of theScottish  populace experience.

I get that some have done ok thus far but i've had ahandful of   frosts thus far... 3/4 instances of sleet, none were even remotely close to lying. Ridiculous levels of rain though. 

I'm waiting for the official statistics... Wish i kept a record like i used to as we must be on for 20+ days of rain in December. 

Everyday of January has also seen rain, not heavy thankfully.

i hope the ECM verifies (or something similar) would love a cold and snowy spell for a while. 

It's been 8-11c during the day for far too long...

• Like 1