Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Wind is severe here. I'm very sheltered and I reckon it's 50mph so on the coast it would well in access of that (gusts, not very consistent in nature admittedly).

raining heavily and expected to worsen.

i'll probably sleep through it all tbh haha, love the sound of wind and rain hitting the windows while your wrapped up in bed. Nothing better!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Wind now picking up here quickly. Just had the fire give a wee smoke backdraft into the living room; sure sign of a storm.

Rain about 10 miles away.

Damn that sounds idyllic !

Frank has bombed well a good deepening over the last 12 hrs, weird that so much hype for this storm versus the many notable Atlantic bombs that have barreled through - the depth and shift north keeping Iceland busy monitoring sting jets rather than ourselves.

I write that wrt windfield being nothing new to our Highlands and Islands and Hebridean watchers, the rain to follow on the other hand adds the different dimension.

yr.no animation is still a thing of beauty for watching these anytime they initiate and deepen on the jet exit.

Occasional gust here, imagine the odd trampoline gets launched, more concerned re the rain now for the borders and what the latest atmospheric river delivers..thankfully this pattern is breaking and in it's very last throws.  

Still rank Ex-Katla and the infamous BBag as best windstorms to have passed here in recent yrs, Katla for sheer maintainence of trop characteristics and bbag for stingjet carnage.

The added plume of WAA... read as Warm Air Advection and associated, yeah it's warmer on the North Pole than in Cowdenbeath for 24 hrs is amusing. It;s been a crazy winter so far.

Ultimately this system is about rainfall and how quickly the front moves, let's hope for minimal damage or minimal compounded damage to the North of England.

• Like 3

Posted

No power here in Northern Ireland! Torrential rain and roads flooded ! Frank is hitting us good at the mo! And 5 hrs still to go! 

Posted

Drip, drip, drip, Frank is the victor. All the fresh lime, tar and mastic were defeated, water still succeeded in getting blown into every nook and cranny and into the hoose. Booger !

Lots of the upper rivers have hit record levels, the Annan at Moffat, the Tweed at Tweedsmuir, the Cree at Wheeb Bridge, rain is still hosing in, the hills are far from drained, and all that water has  still to make its way to the low lying areas.

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/default.aspx?sm=t

• Like 2

Posted

When the M74 shuts (At Abington) you know it's bad haha.

ridiculous amounts of rain have fallen... Still have power at the moment though.

tbh, I'm not as bothered as I used to be about snow, sure I want a cold, snowy pattern but I'd even take (something I usually hate) a mild HP scentaio such as a Bartlett or Mid-Atlantic high... 

My point is... If some of these runs come off (this mornings GFS for example) then people will be in real trouble. How bad must it be to have your home flooded (and not just once for some), I can only imagine how horrific that would be. 

It's not as if that water is totally clear either! It contains all sorts of nasty things. 

Seems like I better build an ark...

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

tbh, I'm not as bothered as I used to be about snow, sure I want a cold, snowy pattern but I'd even take (something I usually hate) a mild HP scentaio such as a Bartlett or Mid-Atlantic high... 

I know what you mean. Any drier weather type, be it cold and snowy, or mild and blocked, would do me for a wee while. Aside from the pure interest factor of records being broken, there is nothing I like about the present pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Highest gust overnight was 42.3mph here and that was after 5am soon to be followed by light rain.   Not so windy here now but the rain is heavier.  Temp 13c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Being in the eastern borders, seems, as expected, we've escaped the worst of it.

A look at the roadside ditches outside confirms; they're not that full. Heaviest rain seems only to have been in the last hour or so.

Traffic Scotland twitter feed suggests it's not a day for travelling however. M74 is just one of quite a few closed due to flooding and/or landslides.

https://twitter.com/trafficscotland

Pics of the A8 for example:

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

A very windy night here and at 10.00pm last night it had dried up so much that dust was blowing on the farm road. However this morning its finally started raining we have  to be grateful for the Cairngorm Mountains to the south of us. Currently 12c

Posted

Jeez. This is bad.

Ballater apparently.

FIREFIGHTERS have been called out to a flood-hit North-east village to evacuate residents.

One appliance was sent to assist in Ballater at around 8.45am.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “We are evacuating residents in Ballater.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/firefighters-carrying-evacuation-north-east-village2/

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

The wind is really picking up again after a lull from the early hours. However, the rain is relentless, the Tweed has burst and there is now an action centre set up incase people need to evacuate. I know not everyone likes snow, but surely it's better than this awful flooding. T is 9c so feeling really mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Very windy last night - not quite the force of the storm in Jan '15 which brought 90mph-100mph winds to the area, but a nasty few hours all the same. The rain however was relentless between the early hours and about midday, stopped now and brightened up a fair bit with the sun out. 

Of all the nearby major rivers, most are at the upper level of normal with only a few in the high category. Badenoch looking a bit worrying though so Kingussie, Newtonmore, Kingcraig etc might have difficulties and the trains south from Inverness might be affected.

On a completely different and somewhat insensitive note, the models are actually look pretty decent for Scotland tapping into some cold Scandinavian air!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Just back from Glasgow. Some notable flooding in and around Mount Florida/Kingspark (where I grew up). Detour to get on the M74 at Rutherglen. Back in Fife it's breezy and mild, 10c currently in Crail but Leuchars was again up at 13c overnight.

Posted

it's pretty severe here (on the national news so goes without saying), the rivers have well and truly flooded. The side roads are quite fun with several feet of water flowing right over the top I them.

hopefully not too many people have been flooded but it's certainly the worst I've ever seen it and there has been many bad floods in recent years...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

89.5 mm of rain fallen here in the last 24 hours. High wind speed in one part of Skye 98.8 mph. Not so windy where I am but Frankie did a good bit of damage when he whipped off a load of roof tiles exposing one of our rooms to daylight and heaps of rain. The OH currently atop a ladder affecting a temporary repair with Sterling Board and roof felt. Insurance company contacted, builder been to have a look see and he's returning on Monday. Looks like I'll be a fairly big job. We'll see. Our internet just came back on a wee while ago but we didn't have any power cuts. I'm thankful for small mercies.

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 3

Posted

A93 Braemar to Ballater.

Really do feel I've walked this one here in the eastern borders. Wind still blowing fairly hard, but rain off for a while now and was never intense.

• Like 2

Posted

Incessant heavy rain, strong gusts, some trees down and the power has been off for next door Strathnairn but nothing exceptionally bad here, Jan 9th was much more destructive, as Rab indicated. Hope it improves for those worst affected, what a shi*ty way to bring in the New Year for many 

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wow, sounds bad there. I know it's a minor irritant, but if it does snow how am I supposed to get to ski at Glenshee if the A93 has gone? 

Keep safe everyone. Benign weather here in Austria, another blue sky day. Think our last 2 days are supposed to be cloudier, with maybe some light snow. 

• Like 1