Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
4 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

I know I say this each year like a broken record, but the highlands has it's own winter, a million miles away from the model thread's enevitable arguments over when or where half a snow flake might fall. Our average would be the extreme for some it seems

Very much agree there Strath :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hi all, I have not been on for a while. This winter has been very poor for most of us here but looking at the model thread things seem to be looking better for cold and snow. I really hope this Atlantic can calm down and give much needed dry weather for flood affected areas. 

Nice pictures Strath, might need to take a trip up that way if we get nothing here :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Getting up to 3C now but feeling quite warm and loose after a morning's wood splitting. Blue sky.  Off to sub-tropical Bahamas Englandsville shortly for a few days so wondering - do I need my Speedos or waders?

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Getting up to 3C now but feeling quite warm and loose after a morning's wood splitting. Blue sky.  Off to sub-tropical Bahamas Englandsville shortly for a few days so wondering - do I need my Speedos or waders?

To be on the safe side i would pack both and take a snorkle.

• Like 6

Posted

Total contrast to the cloud and rain of yesterday. Sunny skies, ideal for a walk down the coastal path. A bit muddy underfoot after yesterday's rain, think we got about 35mm (a lot for here!).

Currently 4c as the sun is about to set.

Posted

Lovely day got to admit (a very rare break) Tomorrow and maybe Tuesday not looking too bad I think. Then got wednesday to come........................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

First day of the season at Nevis Range. Great to be oot in the snaw sliding even if it was limited to a couple of runs - didn't think we'd get out this side of Hogmanay so well chuffed.  Don't  know how the next few days will pan out but I don't think skiing will be on the list but  perhaps surfing or water skiing may be.  Hatches battened!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Although the Black Isle seems stuffed with green wellied, flat-capped, pheasant shooting pricks at this time of year and I wish they'd sod off back where they belong. Rant over.

I've found the front grille of a Seat a far better pheasant catcher than wellies and a flat cap. My model even comes with a wee catcher behind said grille which perfectly preserves the pheasant until you get home. Just aim to hit it bang in the middle of the grille (when the pheasant voluntarily throws itself in your path, presumably to impress the ladies) and you are laughing. Pheasant surprise for dinner.

£30 a pheasant (new grille) is a bit steep though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeps! It's a tad breezy oot there the noo, but thankfully no rain! Don't know how long that'll last for though! Ferry cancelled at the moment but I can see one of the local fish farm boats out there braving the elements. Rather them than me although I reckon it won't be too long before they're back in port too. I'm keeping a close eye on the forecast for Tuesday night an Wednesday morning as I'm expecting a visit from family over the New Year and there's every possibility that the bridge may close meaning they could be delayed. In the meantime I'll do my usual checks of candle and tealight supplies, charge batteries and trim oil lamp wicks. I'll head into Portree tomorrow to pick up necessities for Ne'er Day and then sit by the fire for the rest of the day. Sorted! :drunk-emoji:

And as I gaze oot ra windae I see that the fish farm boats have returned to base! Sensible Laddies!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 6

Posted
17 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Ok. And Ms HC is taking her kayak, drysuit, floats, etc. plus looks like we'll need kit to tie stuff down with too.

And the Tory-terminator, plus all the rest of the political weaponry that's fortunately obsolete round here.  Although the Black Isle seems stuffed with green wellied, flat-capped, pheasant shooting pricks at this time of year and I wish they'd sod off back where they belong. Rant over.

Yes some 'city slicker's ' were round here Boxing day popping off the Pheasants at 15yrd away with both barrels, One standing gun was on my drive blasting away i soon told him to clear off! All dressed up like 'lord of the manor' for the day..Make's me chuckle..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It must take those Great White Hunters years of steadfast practice, in order to shoot a pheasant at such long range...Either that, or they have penile dementia?

• Like 3

Posted
57 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yes some 'city slicker's ' were round here Boxing day popping off the Pheasants at 15yrd away with both barrels, One standing gun was on my drive blasting away i soon told him to clear off! All dressed up like 'lord of the manor' for the day..Make's me chuckle..

40 yard rule from inhabited property and also from the public highway. Because they are paying thousands they feel they can go anwhere and do anything.Best laugh I ever had was seeing them and their dogs chased out of a grass field by cows and calves particularly one very aggessive Limousin cow. Had already warned them to stay away from cows and new calves. A bit ruffled after that episode.

Lost broadband one summer every afternoon .BT searched high and low saying that as line heated there must be a tiny break which expanded in the afternoon. Finally traced to a shotgun  peppered line!! Local syndicate were politely asked to pay the bill sent to me and eventually did.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
36 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

image.thumb.jpeg.420d0ede5ac2bfc6dc4d3e1

I shot a pheasant the other day...

You shot a peasant!:santa-emoji:

Posted

SSEly wind really picking up. Mean speed of just 22mph at Leuchars but much windier than that here in Crail. I see Inverbervie is reporting 42mph gusting 52mph.

Overcast, 9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Quite windy here and surprisingly cold considering its coming from the south. Could some kind soul please tell me when I am goin to get some DECENT SNAW??

Posted
22 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

And the Tory-terminator, plus all the rest of the political weaponry that's fortunately obsolete round here.  Although the Black Isle seems stuffed with green wellied, flat-capped, pheasant shooting pricks at this time of year and I wish they'd sod off back where they belong. Rant over.

Drove past a field full of such tools this morning, standing waiting to shoot some birds which are obviously a great threat to us all. Just imagine having to encounter and then shoot/kill/maim such a dangerous animal as a duck or pheasant? what brave, brave men. They probably huddle together afterwards and talk about just how manly they all feel defeating a wee bird whilst only having a shotgun for defence, before complementing each others tweeds and leathers no doubt

I was born and raised in the countryside and bide there still, such tosspo*s are an embarrassment to it. Culling can be an essential and humane approach to certain forms of animal management like deer etc (I get that) but gathering en masse to shoot things just because you bred a shi*load of them (just to shoot them) is unethical, and cruel and the pursuit of toffee nosed muppets from an entitled, dated and ugly heritage..

*glances at TV.. Oh look David Cameron's on the TV visiting flood hit areas, it's ok people of York, Dave's here! he's wearing clobber which looks like his team has raided Tiso so everything is ok now, "thank you action Dave! we know you're killing industry in the north but you've really saved us by turning up like an aloof di*k in gear that makes you appear sincere and helpful". Good old Dave

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just checking in from tropical St.Anton. The skiing here is just like being back home. A combination of ice, soft heavy stuff, piles of man made surrounded by a sea of brown grass and bare rock. The only reason I know I'm not in Scotland is that it's sunny and not blowing a gale. I've never sweated so much skiing, even trying to keep the gear to a minimum. 

Not been keeping up with the forecasts back home but I did notice that it looks like you are in for a blowy time overnight tomorrow. Batten down the hatches and stay safe. 

Some snow forecast for here Thu into Fri but unlikely enough to make much of a difference. Be nice if it looks white for our last days skiing, even if it doesn't improve the pistes. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Quite windy here and surprisingly cold considering its coming from the south. Could some kind soul please tell me when I am goin to get some DECENT SNAW??

Early January. Beginning to look more like it all the time. Some wind and rain to get through first though.

• Like 1

Posted

Is there possible snaw on the way or something? Wouldn't have guessed ;) All I will say for now it is looking interesting but a lot of weather to get through first

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Very snowy looking as we head into next week. Let's hope the models continue to show this potential over the next few days. 

Check oot the snaw depth chart from the latest ECM.....

image.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I see Wednesday looks atrocious here...

i saw on a forecast yesterday it highlighted Shap (far higher than myself but fairly close by) and the average December rainfall is 216mm and they had received 771mm thus far. Crazy. 

Admittedly, I won't have received anything like that but I reckon 200% of average wouldn't be outlandish, with lots to come before months end.

Hopefully we will all see some snow soon, it does at least like these next few weeks will bring a real chance of winter proper arriving. Thank god.

Fingers crossed