Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Some wet snow showers before bed last night and a snowy/icy mess on the windshield this morning, the Slochd looks white. Its not going to come to much but there will be some showers around in the coming days and I wouldn't rule out a technical White Christmas here or at some other Highland locations, doubt we'll be reaching for the snow shovels but at least it's seasonal 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

This morning's update: foul about covers it. Cauld(ish) with heavy rain. 

Which, to be fair, makes a change from mild with heavy rain.

Truly, a dismal month so far (and I thought November was p*sh), though we did manage to eke out an ice day on Sunday 13th along with some snow. 

Overall, am getting flashbacks to the El Nino winters of 1982-83 and 1997-98 and their utter direness for snaw and cauld. However, perhaps some signs of hope from GP in the TOORP thread - but not until mid-Jan. Looks like we're stuck with this muck until then. 

Bring on the Eva!

Have a Merry Crimbo, fellow kilters, and stay safe in the storms.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Help, what does TOORP mean? I've Googled but am still unenlightened.

Posted

Guess I was the only 1 on here that got woke up by a peal of thunder at about 10 past 5 this morning (seriously) and there was a little band of showers with lightning around the area at the time too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Dry, almost cloudless and sunny here at the moment with a decent breeze. Cooler than of late at 4.4C and still on a slight downwards trend.

Forecast is for it to get wet and windy overnight with the temps rising to around 8C in the early hours before cooling off again into the low teens for Xmas Eve and Xmas Day. Unlikely to be cold enough for a White Xmas here, even a technical one i.e. just falling rather than lying snow.

Hats off to the long-range forecasters on here (LS, Lorenzo, etc.), I don't remember reading a winter forecast which went for a cold December. Fingers crossed that the forecasts which went for the chance of a colder January pan out as well :D 

Posted
15 minutes ago, NUT said:

Guess I was the only 1 on here that got woke up by a peal of thunder at about 10 past 5 this morning (seriously) and there was a little band of showers with lightning around the area at the time too

No woke us up too, it was a cracker.

Posted
45 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Something to do with throwing the toys out of the pram...

Slagging down here on and off as usual.  Big blobby splatty stuff, nice.

Thanks Hairy Cent.

Google threw up some disturbing links when I tried to search toorping.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, snowidea said:

No woke us up too, it was a cracker.

Best of it is is, it barely even rained. A little then quickly dried up (2nd December in a row i've had a rude thunder awakening) ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

weve had everything from wet snow to sleet and rain here today, pretty chilly out there! 

Posted

Yes there was a nasty squall around 5am torriental rain with a bit or hail mixed in.. Thought I heard Thunder although thought it was the wind.. Checked radars and it showed several flashes nearby.. Only last month I was woken at 3am by the same thing.. Over the past few winters I have heard more Thunder in my area fairly often (more so than summer).. Also places inland and even eastern parts have had Thunder past few winters something that you hardly seen..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

It's snowing, started on the journey home at around Daviot (200m upwards) and same back here 

image.jpg

I was peering across the firth between showers a few mins ago and could see the snow line has come down since dusk yesterday - looked like about 300m for the white line from here but what I can see is moderated by the firth.

These showers are to be avoided!

Edited by Hairy Celt
brain fail
  • Like 1

Posted

There seems to be no end to this Atlantic weather - both short term or long term, the gales and rain just keep coming with only short drier and calmer interludes.

Do we not usually get a pattern change at some point early January if we've had a really wet December or is this my imagination..?

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Apparently not this winter Hairy!

It's been hard on us all. I am fed up having to fix the outside lights twice a week . Then the two side roof panels come off every storm. Same ones! I put them back up the wind takes them back down! Then the wife says get a roofer ..naw naw it will hold this time. If they are still up tomorrow it will be a miracle.

I just want 3 days of cold frosty weather at least..not asking for much.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm in Aviemore no snaw  any coming at all I really wish there was just wondering as looking at the satellite. Maybe the system incoming is rain bearing and with the unfortunately extremely windy element to it as well. But digging deep behind it looks like cold snaw showers would that sweep in behind or not 

Edited by Swave Snow

Posted
3 hours ago, November13 said:

Apparently not this winter Hairy!

It's been hard on us all. I am fed up having to fix the outside lights twice a week . Then the two side roof panels come off every storm. Same ones! I put them back up the wind takes them back down! Then the wife says get a roofer ..naw naw it will hold this time. If they are still up tomorrow it will be a miracle.

I just want 3 days of cold frosty weather at least..not asking for much.

Santa's not gonna make you happy this year.  Better get that malt instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

wet and windy out here in the hebrides yet again this evening, i dont think ive ever seen so much rain to be honest in the last 12 months, just dire.

some remarkable conditions just in the last month too.

Posted

Miserable day here with very heavy sleety showers,stayed about 2c all day with snow line down to about 800 feet but temperature has now risen to about 5c with the wind rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

rough evening here.

sustained winds around 50mph now and gusting 71mph. very noisy and shaky house the night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It's bad enough here, I'm glad I'm not up on Lewis, my nerves wouldn't stand it.  The front windows here are shaking and the wind is roaring in the woods on top of the hill here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Another rainy morning here, cauld though at 4.3c. Storm Eva arrived, burped and went on her way again. Bit of a non event really. Going to be a very damp holiday season up here, with perhaps the merest dusting of white on the mountain tops. Enjoy the festivities wherever you are, and hopefully someone, somewhere will get some snaw!

Posted

Oh look it's wet n windy again. Had my daily peep at the GFS and wish I hadn't bothered, it's just depressing.  Barely even the odd hint of transient ridges...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Oh look it's wet n windy again. Had my daily peep at the GFS and wish I hadn't bothered, it's just depressing.  Barely even the odd hint of transient ridges...

Well this has got to be one of the most interesting charts I've seen the ECM throw up for weeks. Maybe it doesn't scream immediate cold, and might not in the long run, but look at those two ridges getting up into the polar regions.

ECH1-192.GIF?24-12

Coming back to reality, it was certainly windy last night for a time but nothing overly bad here. This morning is mainly cloudy but I can see a couple of patches of blue. No sun, breezy, currently dry and around 6C.

• Like 2