Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Cattle all sweating inside not really good for them but cows gettng out to neeps are very happy. Grass fields all greening up so wintering sheep happy too.  Maybe the traditional New Year switch will happen.

• Like 1

Posted

I struggle to tell the difference between spring, summer, autumn and winter this year as they've just been one long, dreich, windy and wet load of pish. Perhaps I should swap back to the car's summer wheels and tyres just to tempt fate :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, moffatross said:

I struggle to tell the difference between spring, summer, autumn and winter this year as they've just been one long, dreich, windy and wet load of pish. Perhaps I should swap back to the car's summer wheels and tyres just to tempt fate :-)

Did you not get a half decent first half of autumn?  It seems a long time ago, but Sept and October were really pleasant here.  Perhaps we'll get winter in April, not that it'll be welcome then.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Did you not get a half decent first half of autumn?  It seems a long time ago, but Sept and October were really pleasant here.  Perhaps we'll get winter in April, not that it'll be welcome then.

Had a customer in for hay today who said that even the horses had enough fresh green   grass to keep them happy. When he asked me about the rest of the winter forecast  I said my greatest concern was that the polar vortex woud break up late in the winter  leading to a  very cold spring and early summer which the farm does not want and that proper winter weather would be better in January and February.

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up in a sweat,( not a nasty virus) as its currently 14c. Must be the highest night time temperature in December  for a while here.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Woke up in a sweat,( not a nasty virus) as its currently 14c. Must be the highest night time temperature in December  for a while here.

12.3c here, 14c at Leuchars. Aside from the mountain stations all of Scotland is currently in double figures and most mainland stations at or above 12c. Kinloss and Edinburgh 15c at 8am!

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

12.3c here, 14c at Leuchars. Aside from the mountain stations all of Scotland is currently in double figures and most mainland stations at or above 12c. Kinloss and Edinburgh 15c at 8am!

Yeah too warm overnight, most unpleasant having to throw off blankets in December.  Everything seems so damp too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

It was 11.9C at about 5pm yesterday and overnight it rose to 13.9C here. Currently 13.6C. This would be a warm night in July never mind December

Posted

Best day in some time here with some sunny spells and very welcome blue sky from time to time. Incredibly mild, 13c here and 15c at Leuchars.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Winter so far has been downright awful. But believe it or not there is an outside chance of snow the night before the big day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well, we can live in hope.........This article is about eastern usa but as they are experiencing all this unseasonable warmth also, some may find it interesting.

Currently 13.2c here, dreich, dry but gusty.   37mph the last gust.   Looks as if the rain isn't far off now though.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
19 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

I wish. Nope, Moffat enjoyed about 10 nice days mid-late September and a decent week or so in June IIRC. The rest of the year was pretty mingtastic.

Today has been shocking. Rain from start to finish, and some of it has made its way into the house once more. Relentless gale force SSW'lies driving water in through every nook and cranny.

Roll on 2016, weatherwise, it surely can't be worse.

Posted
44 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Do you really think?!

However, despite a disappointingly mild start to the winter season, more promising patterns lie ahead of us. Truth be told, that funny A cannot be stagnant over Europe forever and we are quite lucky in that it's following its bizarre walk toward Scandinavia, or so it would seem. 

At this very minute we seem to be cooling down, recording the daily minimum temp at 11.8 having maxed at 14 around 12.30pm. We just recorded another 2mm for today's meagre count of 3.6mm thanks to a hearty band of precip associated to the front that is watering most of the British Is. 

Still, it counts toward the days with measurable rain this month, which is at 18 out of 19 and probably will be 19 out of 20 tomorrow. 

Looking forward to some hill snow on Christmas Day/Boxing Day though, loving rural Scotland, at least you don't miss chances you'd always miss by miles in places like Liverpool/Manchester -which is where I used to live for a while. 

Edinburgh, which I also had the pleasure to dwell on, was an utter hole of milder and drier weather, especially Cowgate/Old Town, Town planning does not help either. Very noticeable difference with open areas such as Marchmont or Bruntsfield, which made it very interesting. Good to be able to go up Swanston or Penicuik on the bus, the Pentlands are amazing. 

But the Ochils are better. 

Have a pleasant evening, 

Pedro 

• Like 1

Posted

Very mild with a high of 14c and a low of 12c. It really has been a dire couple of months of weather with so little sunshine or cold. In fact other than the first four months of 2015 which were quite decent - especially the second half of January - but May and throughout the summer was generally so wet, dull and cool. September, early October was quite decent with a light of dry conditions and some warmth. 

It looks like there could be a change in weather conditions/pattern around Christmas (which seems to happen every year) so at least it looks like it'll be quite seasonable around the festive period with the possibility of some wintry precipitation at times with a bit of luck. We seem to be heading into a period of transition between different patterns if weather so there could be a variety of weather types on the cards post Christmas. We could have anti-cyclonic conditions, gales, more rain, polar maritime air, northerly toppler or more mild temperatures as we evolve towards another set-up. At least it looks like the unseasonable and gloomy period weather associated with high pressure over Europe is about to cease. What replaces it is up in the air, but at least things are likely to cool down nearer to average and opportunities for snow and traditional winter weather should improve from now in in - especially in the New Year.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, moffatross said:

I wish. Nope, Moffat enjoyed about 10 nice days mid-late September and a decent week or so in June IIRC. The rest of the year was pretty mingtastic.

Today has been shocking. Rain from start to finish, and some of it has made its way into the house once more. Relentless gale force SSW'lies driving water in through every nook and cranny.

Ok, sorry, hadn't realised it was that rubbish down your way.  Good word though, mingtastic, I'll add that to my vocab.

Windy this evening, esp after another HC curry special double dhal delight..

Posted

Is there any chance of snow in the Ochils on 23rd/24th Dec? 

Relentless rain atm, it has been a dry night though. 0.6mm so far with a high gust of 35mph. Current temp 8.7º, roll on average temps!

Posted

Raining.............again. Had a bit of hail this morning too but sun was out the whole time

Posted
58 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

No rain here but plenty of wind sstilll.  Frrrp frrrrrpppp.

Aye but its drying things up and young Mr Northernlights managed to cultivate the harvested neep ground this afternoon to release any spilt  neeps buried by tractor tyres so cows can tidy up the field. Suits the mean old farmer as they would have rotted by spring .Fresher today currently 6c . Cattle more comfortable today and bedding not getting so damp with the breeze and lower humidity.

• Like 4

Posted

I think it has been warm this last few days than it was early July!!! This constant dreich damp windy weather is starting to depress.

PS, chance of Northern Lights tonight if you have clear skies, Bloody big "IF".

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35095864

Nice beebs vid that explains the non-event of last Sunday, it was colder down'ere than it was in some Highland valleys and it still snowed lots there whilst it rained south of the Highland Shield. Sad times but interesting as well!

Temps stalled around 8. Min was after a beefy shower in the morning at 7.6, it's noticeably cooler than yesterday, thank god. And of course almost 3mm more towards December's already impressive rainfall amount. 

Need snow in the Ochils NOW. 

Posted

The model output this morning looks grim through into the New Year now. It's like Gandalf is standing at the Bridge of Khazad-dûm and instead of commanding to the incoming Atlantic storms, "You shall not pass !", has taken to waiting there in a Bell Boy suit, opening the door for them, and carrying their luggage too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
46 minutes ago, moffatross said:

The model output this morning looks grim through into the New Year now. It's like Gandalf is standing at the Bridge of Khazad-dûm and instead of commanding to the incoming Atlantic storms, "You shall not pass !", has taken to waiting there in a Bell Boy suit, opening the door for them, and carrying their luggage too.

Yep, current weather is boring. Future weather is boring. Bah.

Just to confirm the above it's 6.4C in Dyce this morning, with a stiff breeze, grey clouds and sporadic light rain. The past weekend wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't exactly exciting either.

Posted

Clutching at straws perhaps but if I lived in the far north and particularly the northern isles I'd be keeping an eye in the model output for Christmas Day - there's some very cold air nearby and in the last few days the models have been flirting with it briefly affecting these areas. 6z GFS has -12c 850s into Lerwick on the afternoon of the big day - outside chance of a white Christmas?

Edited by Hawesy