Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Im out working, can check radar on my phone it looks good over the Midlands, hopefully heading up our way

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, Jan said:

Im out working, can check radar on my phone it looks good over the Midlands, hopefully heading up our way

Yes  i've been tracking it. Moving slowly closer, 39 miles away at the last check. It's a beast  according to some reports. Lightning seems to be getting more frequent now as well. Head over to the  dedicated thread for all the reports and discussion. :-) 

Posted

Lightning seems to be getting no further than 47 miles south East of me, did have two strikes 19 mile away just stray ones though 

Edited by carl1980

Posted

the north west was forecast to be the focus of the storms this afternnoon and early evening, looks like the midlands was the prime area, hope these dont die off , as we are up wind,  but feel they will fizzle by the time they reach this region,   still have slight hope , but i am prepairing for dissapiontment,  *opens bottle of wine*

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The sky is stratifying here.. one of the famaliliar rights from past failures. It's a shame as there is a shower over Shrewsbury with a storm... but there is a notable cooling element to things now.. well see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's always been the problem with storms from the south though.. often we just don't have sufficient energy in place and this impedes the progress of storms. We need exceptionally unstable conditions to reap rewards here. It's a shame but it should be one we are used to by now?

Posted
4 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

It's always been the problem with storms from the south though.. often we just don't have sufficient energy in place and this impedes the progress of storms. We need exceptionally unstable conditions to reap rewards here. It's a shame but it should be one we are used to by now?

It depends on circumstances at the time. I remember thundery plumes coming from the south delivering in the 90s. In 1994, they seem to deliver every time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It's now producing about one strike every five minutes. Oh dear. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

always a bad sign, that carl,  when an active thunder shower ot storm is approaching you usually hear / see thunder lighthing before tha rain,  if its starts raining and there is nothing ,  it usually means there is nothing too :nonono: been around long enough to experience this many times 

Posted

There is nothing. No lightning for around 20 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Very heavy rain for about 20 minutes after the sky went as dark as I've ever seen it go in daylight hours. 8 close lightning strikes. Rain is now light.

Still, first storm of the year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

There is nothing. No lightning for around 20 minutes.

It's a joke. Complete bust for here after looking like the prime spot for so long. Oh well, 24-25C to look forward to tomorrow.

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

It's a joke. Complete bust for here after looking like the prime spot for so long. Oh well, 24-25C to look forward to tomorrow.

how many times does this happen in the nw,  lost count ,  we had all the lightning graphics and pecipitaion over us on the forcast , with other parts of the uk seeing not much on the charts , the reality is the south and west midlands got it,  and whats betting southern coastal areas get somthing later,   naff all here apart from spots of drizzle

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, IanR said:

always a bad sign, that carl,  when an active thunder shower ot storm is approaching you usually hear / see thunder lighthing before tha rain,  if its starts raining and there is nothing ,  it usually means there is nothing too :nonono: been around long enough to experience this many times 

Spend allday tracking storms then they die out just before they reach us,not the first and won't be the last time either 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Past half hour or so heavy drops which are still falling.  Been quite dark for the last hour. Overnight min 10.8C, currently 16.7C, light air.

Posted

Dry here. Better luck  tomorrow, it looks good to me. 

Posted

There was a really dark sky approaching and then it just fell apart.. now light rain all evening I suspect 

Posted

Conditions for storms don't look too bad today though they will be isolated. Met office suggests coastal areas will get the warmest weather today... I guess 27C isn't out of the question. Therefore coastal areas probably have the highest risk of storms too

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Conditions for storms don't look too bad today though they will be isolated. Met office suggests coastal areas will get the warmest weather today... I guess 27C isn't out of the question. Therefore coastal areas probably have the highest risk of storms too

Yep.  Parameters look good to me, let's see whether we can break the cap.  The more heat the better. Perfect conditions for the coast to be the warmest place with an offshore breeze.  Already 14.5°C. 

Edited by Chris.R