Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
29 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Hi AJ.  Have you seen more or fewer storms since you moved to Wiltshire? You ever think about moving back to Staffs, or somewhere else in Midlands? :)

The missus hated the midlands mate, so little chance of moving back there any time soon...re. storms, probably less and what we do get in more so elevated storms from a destabalizing plume scenario.....Whilst wiltshire is in general quite good for storms, my local area isnt for pulse type single celled storms, we're on the western edge of the marlborough Downs, so the topography isnt good with no local areas of natural wind convergence,  air is forced up over us to the east and general is a breeding ground rather than benefactor....Bristol shower streamers generally don't align themselves right for here and when they do, normally the high ground over south Wales leaches the moisture of the air 

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
15 minutes ago, Delka said:

New rumbles of very distant thunder 15+ miles away every few seconds, black clouds, darker then earlier, approaching here now! Could get some overhead action.. You know it's not a mile second  if that's how you're measuring it. It's difficult to hear thunder more than around 7 miles away.  The  ratio is a mile every five seconds. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I'm hearing a constant low grumble here, can only assume it's that intense recent band that's fired up! It looks brutal mate! 

Omggg just had a bolt out of the blue!! Positive CG!! Very loud deep bang followed 15 seconds after! 

Heavens just broke, huge bang down the road aswell! Insane!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
37 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Well, for once you'll actually be pleased that I manage to experience at least something, I'll stop moaning now! My jaw dropped when I saw the BBC graphics for tomorrow, bring it on! Looks like a very similar setup today so will most likely be staying put or chasing more local this time, still I think it's nice to watch thunderstorms from a distance so you don't get soaked and you get to see more than if you were in the thunderstorm itself! Still as good if not better! :)

I'm always pleased when people get storms William, to my mind it's always an awesome experience :)    I just wouldn't mind having that awesome experience myself sometime in the not too distant future :laugh:

Posted
13 minutes ago, Delka said:

Its approaching here! Getting bit nervous now actually.. the constant flashing and rumbling in the distance is daunting..

I have! The black clouds in the distance getting closer is actually terrifying me.. not been scared of a storm cloud and rainfall in a while.. equally as excited though! 

Stay safe!

Posted
15 minutes ago, Vestan said:

I am south east of Oxford centre. The sky has been black for last half hour with rain around me but hardly any rain overhead but plenty of continuing development. Can't work out which way it is all moving.

I'm a bit further south than you, I think. Went so dark I had to put the lights on. Fully anticipated a hefty shower, but it skirted aroundme again! Whatever's resisting the showers here is powerful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

We're off again! Lightning to the north of Tiverton!

Posted

First visible bolt of lightning, looked out window at the perfect moment! So fricking happy! Constant rumbles now.. rained lightly for a few seconds then stopped, no more since

EDIT: Seconds after posting this the heavens have opened fully and we have full on torrential huge drops of rain AND more visible strikes! None seem to be hitting the ground yet though..

Edited by Delka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Naff all again here, not had any thunder for a month despite the regular activity.  It's actually been mostly sunny this afternoon with all the activity being to the north.

Very jealous of those in north Norfolk, that storm looks awesome!

Posted
7 minutes ago, TropicThunder said:

Naff all again here, not had any thunder for a month despite the regular activity.  It's actually been mostly sunny this afternoon with all the activity being to the north.

Very jealous of those in north Norfolk, that storm looks awesome!

It is!!! Just come overhead right now and we just had a HUGE bolt of lightning that covered the whole sky! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just one heavy shower here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Torrential rain here on the Malverns right now, no T&L as yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Power off and on here! Constant rumbling in the distance...

Posted

Holy Cow! Huge strike just hit the fairground down the front here just now infront of my eyes! Constant rumbles and flashes, first daytime storm in years here!

EDIT: Another full sky lightning strike! :rofl:

Edited by Delka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Thundery downpour moving in from the north, will there be anymore lightning strikes though?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Skies full of cauliflowers with lots of mid level convection taking place

interesting structure over the Black country atm

IMG_4190.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, Delka said:

Holy Cow! Huge strike just hit the fairground down the front here just now infront of my eyes! Constant rumbles and flashes, first daytime storm in years here!

Been hearing it from here over the last half hour! Seems to be back building. Think this will be on the news, the rain rates in there are close to dangerous. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Skies full of cauliflowers with lots of mid level convection taking place

interesting structure over the Black country atm

IMG_4190.JPG

keep an eye on that Arnie, v.interesting lowering there....doesn't look like scud fragment, looks to part of the main Cb

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 2

Posted

Lashing it down with rain, more very close lightning flashes and visible bolts with hueg crackles of thunder straight after!

As i type i just saw another strike hit someones chimney down the hill towards the beach! Jesus, this is exactly what I wanted and it got delivered!

Posted

heavy shower just passed through, looked thundery for a time, but unlikley to happen,  like i have said from years of experience ,   once you get heavy rain, before you hear any thunder or see any lightning , there usually isnt any elecrical activity and the showers past maturity stage ,  I called these failed thunderstorms  ! getting used to that ! 

Posted

Holy COW! Strike just hit the house across the street from us and the rain just got even worse!

EDIT: 2 more huge strikes right across the road making me really scared and nervous, shaking so much now..

Edited by Delka