Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Models please folks, use this thread for more relaxed, bantery chat...

• Like 1

Posted

Well as you were, HP dominating our weather for the forseeable, coldies might have to show some patience, whats new? :D

Im fascinated by the posibility of some frost and fog as the flow come off the continenent...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
47 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Except, odds wise you've probably got equal chance of hitting, say, 5 numbers in the lotto to that evolution occurring. That was a unique winter.

Indeed, but on the other hand

Something is only unique until it is repeated. :p

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean looks solidly anticyclonic next week too with sunny periods, variable cloud cover & frost and fog where skies clear.:) a chilly seasonal start to winter..Yay:D

ECMAVGEU12_144_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_168_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_1.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_1.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
59 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Except, odds wise you've probably got equal chance of hitting, say, 5 numbers in the lotto to that evolution occurring. That was a unique winter.

To be honest, I'm not that picky, I'd take a variation of the theme :D

Posted
59 minutes ago, knocker said:

Well i was sitting in a radar with no heating tracking a radiosonde and freezing my cobblers off at that time and as far as I''m concerned you can keep it.

Ah, I always wondered about the fascination with Sidney hiding his nuts and this explains it...

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the ECM ensemble spreads theres likely to be a cluster of solutions that pull that Scandi shortwave further sw  closer to Denmark. This ties in with the 850 spread which suggests some colder uppers skirt with the se.

It does look like several shortwaves will work their way south on the eastern flank of the high. These could alter track depending on the amplification upstream.

Theres not much spread in the Med which means its going to be a hard slog to get any colder air much further west as theres little sign of lower heights there.

Again though this could change depending on the upstream pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, fergieweather said:

12z ECMWF ENS set against model climatology lean pretty firmly towards below avg (at times quite markedly) out to at least 9 Dec. 

And towards drier (very markedly) as well though?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

12z ECMWF ENS set against model climatology lean pretty firmly towards below avg (at times quite markedly) out to at least 9 Dec. 

Sounds fantastic Ian, can you let Exeter know, their mrfs are getting odder by the day....:D

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, re majority signal. Happy days. :-)

Commuters, Elderly etc..  will rather it be dry, rather than a 1962/3 style set up but it would still be great to get the block to the North and get some white stuff over Xmas. Imagine how cold even the next few nights would be with a covering of snow around!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

....and a big intrusion if the N Pacific ridge into the Arctic towards the mid Atlantic ridge. Strongly negative AO latter stages of the EPS

I must admit I don't quite follow that as the mean is broadly speaking neutral from around the 10th. on the updated graph that I've seen :cc_confused:

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Models are settling down after a hard time finding out where the high would settle.  I think it may travel a bit more ne during nxt week dragging colder air down to us.  Hopefully there will be some snow chances from the middle of nxt week onwards.  probably only grazing the SW and south maybe.  what do you think gp,fergieweather??! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Hi Ian, does the below avg temps also show for us up in central Scotland?

thanks

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

I'll swear some people have the memory of a goldfish. :nonono:

ECM charts for below for 1st Dec. On the left the D10 chart from this time last week, on the right today's chart for the same time. Can anyone spot the difference?

ECH1-240.GIF?00  ECH1-72.GIF?28-0

Now anyone that's convinced that the UK high that is currently forecast to hang over us out to D10, can you please explain why (other than paranoia) that the ECM is any more correct today for D10 than it was at this point last week.

For completeness, the same charts for the GFS,

gfsnh-0-240.png  gfsnh-0-60.png?12

Because its sods law! lol The upstream pattern has very good model agreement and hence things will only change slowly however within that theres still the possibility to cut some energy under the block.

I'm happy for the block to hang around as long as its warmer upper temps are cut off by low heights in the Med, for that reason we want the ECM op to be totally wrong.

At this point the high looks like a shoe in for the next 7 to 10  days but its where it exactly sets up or whether we can impart some colder uppers that could still change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Imagine what damage this stonking Pacific ridge combined with our one would do to the Mid to lower strat on the 0z FIM.

fimnh-0-240_aln5.png

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I'll swear some people have the memory of a goldfish. :nonono:

ECM charts for below for 1st Dec. On the left the D10 chart from this time last week, on the right today's chart for the same time. Can anyone spot the difference?

ECH1-240.GIF?00  ECH1-72.GIF?28-0

Now anyone that's convinced that the UK high that is currently forecast to hang over us out to D10, can you please explain why (other than paranoia) that the ECM is any more correct today for D10 than it was at this point last week.

For completeness, the same charts for the GFS,

gfsnh-0-240.png  gfsnh-0-60.png?12

But we had a bust on the eps this time last week re the upcoming upper ridge being modelled as an upper trough! to get two busts in two weeks on the eps re the 8/12 day period would indeed be fairly unprecedented.