Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, CreweCold said:

LOL yeah whichever way you want to look at it!

However I do have a sinking feeling that low ground (below 150m) will see very little in terms of accumulating snow tonight. Going to be a sopping wet mess isn't it!?

Looks that way unless that forecast band is heavy enough and gives us something. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Even Athens gets snow with 850s of -7C with wind off the Aegean sea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Latest update Manchester airport

Air 5C

Dp 2C

:nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Looks that way unless that forecast band is heavy enough and gives us something. 

I can't get my head around weather in the UK...

Look at this from December 2011

Rrea00120111217.gif

Rrea00220111217.gif

Uppers barely -5 yet produced about 2 inches of snow in an hour, completely unforecast through a Cheshire gap streamer.

Yet we've had more favourable set ups and it has been rain. Go figure.

Remember Ian Brown having one of his 'WTF' moments with this one. We both couldn't get our heads around it.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I can't get my head around weather in the UK...

Look at this from December 2011

Rrea00120111217.gif

Rrea00220111217.gif

Uppers barely -5 yet produced about 2 inches of snow in an hour, completely unforecast through a Cheshire gap streamer.

Yet we've had more favourable set ups and it has been rain. Go figure.

Yeah I guess the difference there is that is a more direct Northerly while at the moment we are in a Westerly until the winds swing around through the morning.

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

Yeah I guess the difference there is that is a more direct Northerly while at the moment we are in a Westerly until the winds swing around through the morning.

I'm on about tomorrow night Mucka lol

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm on about tomorrow night Mucka lol

Ah right! Tomorrow night as in Thursday night? LOL gets confusing but I thought you meant tonight as in Thursday early hours.

Yeah there is an Atlantic warm sector that crosses over from Ireland but we should get snow if the DP's stay below freezing and ppn is heavy enough.

MetO covering all bases because Merseyside or further West may well get rain. 

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, loubie_4 said:

Raining here. 

:hi:

May as well call it a night for any snow watch I think.

Anyway can't even lamppost watch these days the freakin council have turned the lights down so low. 
My 40w candle lamp bulb is brighter!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

MetO covering all bases because Merseyside or further West may well get rain. 

I thought that, but West Midlands one says the same. We'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I thought that, but West Midlands one says the same. We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, warm sectors to the West, warm sectors to the NE. This country!

gfs-1-30.png?18

Edited by Mucka

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Yeah, warm sectors to the West, warm sectors to the NE. This country!

gfs-1-30.png?18

Do you ever wonder where the hell they come from?? -10 uppers all around on some occasions yet a patch of -4 uppers will just appear out of nowhere. Madness.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Do you ever wonder where the hell they come from?? -10 uppers all around on some occasions yet a patch of -4 uppers will just appear out of nowhere. Madness.

Damned ocean air gets mixed in somehow

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

Damned ocean air gets mixed in somehow

Could almost understand it if the oceans were bath temperature, this isn't the equatorial pacific lol. Meh, bloody UK, always unlucky with snow.

Posted

Could almost understand it if the oceans were bath temperature, this isn't the equatorial pacific lol. Meh, bloody UK, always unlucky with snow.

I guess they are compared to arctic air. Especially the Atlantic

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/

Posted

GFS latest take on it. If we can't get snow out out of that with decent ppn I'm moving!

gfs-2-30.pnggfs-1-30.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

GFS latest take on it

gfs-2-30.pnggfs-1-30.png

It's straightening those winds up far too quickly tomorrow eve. A fraction more N'ly again on the 0z. Wirral streamer!

What you see on that precip chart is two seperate areas which look like they're joined. One shower area pushing into far western extremities of region and the other pushing down E UK.

Posted

It's straightening those winds up far too quickly tomorrow eve. A fraction more N'ly again on the 0z. Wirral streamer!

What you see on that precip chart is two seperate areas which look like they're joined. One shower area pushing into far western extremities of region and the other pushing down E UK.

The showers have died off ahead of the front Crew, that is the Western edge of the front moving South.

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

The showers have died off ahead of the front Crew, that is the Western edge of the front moving South.

I don't think it is, personally

This shows it better...shower train realigns slightly but left behind, whilst front clears SE

ukprec.png

GFS is known for this

Posted
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I don't think it is, personally

This shows it better...shower train realigns slightly but left behind, whilst front clears SE

ukprec.png

GFS is known for this

he he we will have to disagree. The showers we had before the front moved in are now West of Ireland on your chart.

Here you can see them dying out over Ireland as the front moves in.

gfs-2-24.pnggfs-2-30.png

The shower activity then picks up again from the NW as the front moves away SE.

Meanwhile GFS00z is currently about 1.672% more amplified than the 18z :whistling:

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Morning shift starts; and it's..... Raining.  Snowdar shows it turning wintry over the tops but it must be a > 200m event at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still rain and temperature has risen a bit to 2.3°C from 1.6°C :(

Posted
On 18/11/2016 at 10:58, Weather-history said:

Slushy deposits on everything and grass looks very white. Hail, sleet, wet snow. 

850hpa don't look that special, infact I have seen lower 850hpa deliver nothing. Evaporative cooling plays it part but yet again I have seen it where for some reason it doesn't quite happen. We have an onshore wind, Irish Sea surface temperatures will not be at their coldest, we just had a warm September as well. 

Why today has been conductive for snow to reach lower levels when it hasn't in January, I don't understand.

:wink:

• Like 2

Posted

Yep temps and dewpoints far too high at the moment, the low appears to be building cloud and precipitation from the south west, so until this clears south and allows colder air to push in from the norf' it's going to be wet, wet, wet all the way.  Met office app had me down for heavy snow between 9-11am... bit of revision needed for that me thinks.